Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Very difficult for them to change course credibly either, given they've been in government so long. I'm predicting we get a lot of dog-whistling and 'tough' soundbites on immigration from the main parties between now and the election but very little substantial policy change...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 notJoeJoe

The provisional IRA and modern Sinn Féin were right-wing split offs of what eventually became The Workers' Party.

Fine Gael serves the more liberal middle class compared to the more conservative rural Fianna Fáil. If any major party will pivot to the right it's FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭Augme

I agree, I don't think there's any appetite from the electoral for a significant shift right either. There will be plenty of dog whistling fro rural TDs though.

Certainly cant argue with that. I think FF might well end up shifting that way and their local councillor in Rosscahill has certainly shoot straight out of the traps with his comments on that one. Even on social issues like abortion and gsy marriage caused used issue amongst their tds and membership. Micheal Martin basically had to drag them into the 22st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

FF, more so than any other party, draw their vote from pensioners. That gives them a solid floor in the short term but in the long run it's a demographic cul-de-sac. In the next decade they're going to have to decide what they stand for. In the old days, as the party of power they didn't really have to nail their colours to the mast on anything. They're unlikely to be able to get away with that in the future. Who knows? Under a different leader maybe they will move to the right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭pureza

FF won't be pivoting to the right

They haven't even changed since their 2011 drumming

Centre they are

FG are basically the Irish Conservative party economically

However their current leader is ché Guevara on steroids in terms of trying to out do Sinn Féin's hand out policies

I don't see the logic in that

Every party has socially Conservative types,though a good heap of Sinn Féins moved into Aontú

That's a problem social policy wise in any shaky coalition that relies on Peadar's vote

He'll have the power and the Taoiseach may genuflect

hat's a problem social policy wise in any shaky coalition that relies on Peadar's vote

He'll have the power and the Taoiseach may genuflect

With one TD? How likely is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Aontú believe a woman shouldn’t have the right to access reproductive health options, but that the provos shooting, bombing and raping women was morally justified. Not even SF are that hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

We don't have a right wing economic party in Ireland and FG certainly aren't that. They have made a few noises in the past about helping those "who get up early in the morning", but never any action. We have an xmas bonus for long term unemployed but not those who were recently working for feck sake!

Haven't Plenty governments relied on one or two votes,the next one might be another,the way the polls are

• Advertisement

Certainly plausible that FF and FG could be recruiting independents to prop up another multi-faction government but if Peadar is making any serious demands on national policy he will be pushed to the bottom of the queue, way behind the guys whose support can be bought for a new bypass for Clonmel or something...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

FG and the Tories have almost nothing in common.

They have low taxes in common generally

More private enterprise orientated than public enterprise

Little government vs big government

So I'd disagree with you there

Where we'd meet is the current distortion of their traditional values as directed by Ché Guevara their current leader

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The above is not a list to list of reasons why FG are the same as tories. It's just a vague list of things which could be similar for most parties

What is a "little government v big government" supposed to mean? size? number?

No idea what the referece to Che Guevara is

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Little government vs big government is a Republican vs Democrats argument, that poster is obviously consuming US political media and trying to transplant what theyve read about onto UK and Irish politics which doesn't work and ends up looking nonsensical

I suspect if you don't know the difference between big government and little government or why I refer to FG's leader as Ché Guevara, on a politics forum in a country where he's fostered the further growth of a social welfare system the UK Labour party's momentum wing would drool over,I think we're at nothing here tbh

If you say so, but then again you made a claim and can't back it up. Looks to me like you are throwing out a few comments you seen somewhere and hope it sticks. Could be wrong

Not a term I heard before but I have very little interest in US politics.

I salute Chairman Varadkar! Long live the proletarian revolution and the Fine Gael vanguard party!

"no right wing economic party" lol, every party we've had was economically right wing! Every government has operated the economy on the capitalist economic system.

Just because they're not as inhuman as Tories or Republicans when it comes to welfare, doesn't mean that they're on the left. They're neoliberal. The party of business and enterprise. Low taxes for American corporations. Bending over to the EU's will. They believe in little public spending on essential services and privatising state-owned companies. They're still firmly right of centre.

• Advertisement

This issue is going to be absolute poison for SF.

A line in the sand is going to have to be drawn soon with SF regarding immigration.

It might piss off the youth wing with their Cuba flags, but I suspect they will continue their catch-all populism while throwing out the odd dog whistle.

Interesting times. Strongly suspect a few split's while the main rump of the party keeps going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Field east

Heard ML McD on radio this morn speaking out of both sides of her mouth and being allowed to speak for as long as she wants to , branching out into other areas not connected to the question at will , then ,” let me speak” “ let me answer the question “. She was in total control of the interview/ the narrative.

what was constantly coming to mind during it were floods of names such. As TOM OLIVER, JANE McCONVILLE and her SIX CHILDREN, as well as all those budgeoned to death in sheds, etc, with the proverbial BASEBALL BATH and ML McD Public utterances or lack of towards each case

• Registered Users Posts: 68,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

FF fighting to control their ranks on this, but somehow it's SF that have the issues and 'lines need to be drawn'.

What 'line' Bobson and 'where' should it be drawn?

That’s up to the top brass in SF to decide. They have to balance their message to young Turloch O’Traogain who became a Shinner when he started college with the approximately 15% of undecided voters who liked Mary Lou but have issues with things like climate change and immigration.

Delicate balancing act and there’s no one on the SF ticket who stands out as being able to resolve it. Mary Lou looks, acts, and sounds bored, Pearse is all fart and no follow through, Eoin makes Eoghan Murphy sound like a milkman, and Farrell seems to be losing the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So you have no idea what or where this 'line' is. Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

SF showing us all how clueless they are..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

MLMCD's aim to get the average house in Dublin down to €300 k will come as a shock for all those poor people whom have paid over €100 k and more above this figure. I assume those home owners will not be voting SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Is she predicting a recession or going to force it to 300k. Then the question has to be asked, what type of house and what location. I’m not affected by drop in value as I bought mine in 99. But my kids are definitely affected and the current house price trajectory is not sustainable for anyone. I would agree with her in principle but the question is a lot deeper than a headline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

This is a huge mistake to stake themselves to an actual number, especially a number that if it came to be would throw thousands of people into extreme negative equity. Also id love them to show us the actual maths that caused them to come to this number because i dont believe its even mathematically possible to build an average house in dublin right now for such an amount due to factors affected by global events and completely out of their control.

Advertisement