Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Yep I agree. And for some reason I think they will reconvene at some bullshit date like jan 29

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭bren2001

So you can’t give an example. Good contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭readoutloud

Mad that the Unions seemed confident across nine or ten meetings, only to lose all hope as soon as actual pay increase figures are mentioned. Surely they should have touched on the most difficult aspects of the talks earlier?

Whether it's a negotiating tactic or not, it's hard not to feel let down by the Union negotiators' performance. On the other hand the government's team appear to be playing a blinder.

I don’t understand how the pay talks work if after 10 meetings pay has not been discussed. Was FEMPI the only thing talked about?

I assume the PoA will be to ballot for industrial action in January with the initial threat of one day strikes selectively picked e.g. the Friday of the new bank holiday to cause chaos with transport etc?

Yeah I literally just can’t understand it. Like are they are just saying that for public consumption but I can’t think of a reason why…. yeah they may well take a vote on some sort of industrial action to show they are serious.

• Advertisement

Yeah I’m not privy to how it works but it sounds like they are doing a woeful job. I know obviously workers/myself are impatient but not talking about pay yet just seems to be taking the piss. I’d have thought before the talks started the unions were aware up to a maximum of 2% difference as to what could be achieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I'm not bothered enough to trawl back through your posts, but it is a pattern with your posts that anyone paying close attention will notice.

Anyone who is bothered enough, including you, can go back and look for themselves.

My mother used to have a saying for people who do that,

"runs with the hares and hunts with the hounds."

This kind of delay tactics is completely as predicted.

DPER will now leave Union to stew. It's been obvious they're in no rush since day 1.

So you just want to make an accusation with nothing to back it up? If you know it so well, you wouldn't need to call out specific posts, you should be able to simply state where I contradict myself.

You're just trolling at this stage. There's a distinct difference between us, I have tried to listened to what people have said on this thread an adapted my view accordingly i.e. not always assuming I know more then everyone else. You just preach from the cubicle tops and shout down everyone and anyone who disagrees. Throw out a "you cant speak out of both sides of your mouth" and then when asked to back it up say you're too lazy. Quality contributions.

No, but when you're in a two income family you each have tax credits, or if a one income married family you can use the other's tax credits. Every little helps.

I'm neither of those, and am by no means rolling in cash, my standard of living has been eroded by inflation too, but I have enough for my needs.

So you won't see me here as a single person who is taxed to the hilt (40% on everything over €40K, €42k from January 24), begrudging a few extra quid going to the lower paid and their families, who most are willing to acknowledge have been hit the hardest in the last two years.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

Absolutely agree. What on earth have they been talking about for 10 meetings. What the hell have the Union's been leading off with, obviously not pay, probably the most important issues for public and civil servants. The Union are an embarrassement.

The Union said they were ready to meet on 27th September for talks, but DPER were not. The Unions should have balloted members for strike action if the talks were unsuccessful in October and November so, in advance of the talks. DPER absolutely run rings around the Union, every iteration of the talks. The Unions said a push on Monday/Tuesday is needed to get a deal. Tuesday the talks break down and to quote Kevin Callinan " we absolutely haven't even started talking about pay yet". In the midst of a cost of living crisis, 10 meetings in and still no talks on pay, 11 days out from the expiry of the current agreement. A village idiot would be more proactive in managing their business than how the Union have behaved and been lead on a merry dance in this fiasco.

Bren, I'm not the only person who has called you out for your flip flopping and also displays of aggression on this thread.

So off with you, now. I'm sick and tired of your aggression and insults and I don't have to put up with it. Bye.

Yet you don't want to actually point out any of the "flip flopping"? You just want to complain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,255 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bus, train drivers etc. are either employed by private companies or semi-states. Not part of this negotiation.

Scrap the cap!

10 meetings about the final unwinding of FEMPI? I can't really think of anything else that would be ahead of pay in the pecking order. Its shocking that pay has not been discussed considering the headline figure is what 99% of people are going to look at when deciding to accept or reject the deal.

I think balloting for industrial action in October would be too aggressive and the Union would be entering the talks in bad faith. Balloting in January allows the Unions to start applying pressure with the threat of industrial action. Industrial action can then occur in February/March is required. Once you start strikes, you cant deescalate until a deal is reached.

I had it in my head that CIE were linked to the Pay Talks. Fair enough if not.

I am sure the Unions can cherry pick their days to strike if it comes to that.

The admission that they hadn't even begun to talk about pay yet was ridiculous.

DPER running rings around them.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Suits DPER to delay. A few more weeks and articles of tough economic times, reducing rates of inflation, recessionary indicators etc.

Unions dropped the ball massively it seem, playing right into their hands. We will see if they have a long game planned, but I doubt it.

I think the play by the DPER is to delay a deal being implemented until March/April with the promise of backpay to January. Lower headline figure with backpay of a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Well at least we won't be getting a pay cut before Christmas lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

Ah ya, we might get around to the pay March or April next year. Thank god I packed in the Union membership. Their incompetence knows no bounds and when you think they can't be worse than the last time round, they just go and surprise you don't they?!

10 meetings in and no talks on pay............chatting about their holidays are they, what Santa is bringing them perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭spark_tank

The 19 affiliate trade unions of the Public Services Committee (PSC) of the Irish Congress of Trade Unions (ICTU) will meet again on 11th January to sign-off on the wording of ballots for industrial action, in the event that the Government fails to conclude a new public service agreement in the meantime.

https://www.forsa.ie/public-sector-pay-talks-update/

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭spark_tank

Unions threaten industrial action unless pay deal agreed

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/1220/1422957-unions-pay-talks/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭griffin100

What exactly from FEMPI remains to be unwound? Genuine question. I think the last remaining part of FEMPI that impacts on me in a big way is working hours -I went from a theoretical 32.5hrs per week to 37.5hrs per week, that's not going to be unwound.

My understanding is that FEMPI effectively gives the Government a veto over any sectoral negotiations that take place between the pay deals. That no sectoral or grade-based claims are allowed outside the pay talks during the lifetime of the agreement.

It won't have an impact on the day to day stuff I think. Pension deductions have already been made permanent, hour changes e.g. Croke Park hours for teachers are not going to be undone. It just gives the Unions more power to negotiate.

If someone knows more, please correct me.

Why are you complaining about a process you are not paying to be a part of (unlike the rest of us) yet will benefit from any increases arising out of it nonetheless?

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

From Unite: Further to previous correspondence, this is to inform you that talks aimed at agreeing a new public

sector pay deal ended without agreement yesterday.

Your Unite representatives took part in the ICTU Public Services Committee which was held this

morning. At this meeting it was explained that while there was some movement on repealing the

most concerning aspects of FEMPI and agreeing processes to address sectoral issues, talks have

not so far addressed public sector pay increases.

This is simply not good enough and Unite have made it clear that if pay is not addressed we will

mobilise our members to demand that it is. It is the height of disrespect that Government

representatives refused to engage on the key issue of pay at a time of crushing cost of living

pressures.

Notwithstanding the above, the union side has indicated that it remains available to reconvene

talks at any point. The Public Services Committee of ICTU will be meeting again on the 11th of

January to discuss the process for conducting ballots for industrial action, it is essential that all

Unite members details are fully up to date.

Unite will back our public sector members 100% and do what it takes to get the pay our members

need and deserve.

In solidarity

Tom Fitzgerald

Regional Co-Ordinating Officer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭combat14

looks like the govt are acting the feck the price of everything in the country has sky rocketed the last couple of years

14 billion thrown at social welfare

12.8% rise in minimum wage

inflation running at 5+% each of the last number of years and rents are rampant

with an election year coming soon there better be more than 2% pre paye, usc, prsi, asc deductions and inflation for public workers when private sector employers are budgeting for an average of a 4% rise

Post edited by combat14 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

11th January my arse. . . They should be back on 2nd January. In actual fact industrial action should be automatically beginning on 1st January.

As usual ICTU serving their real masters - the government.

• Advertisement

You have to ballot for industrial action. You legally have to give notice. You can't just decide to do it.

It gives the Government a few days into the New Year to sit back down and find a deal.

Advertisement