Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭KAMG

Apologies. I misinterpreted your earlier post. Anyways, As Conversations 3 said its great that we are actually discussing prices. I keep a very regular eye on this thread as I feel it is the most accurate way to judge prices actually being paid. I don't pass much heed on the papers or websites to be honest. In saying that, I have been keeping a record of the weekly quoted prices on the IFA website so it will be interesting what they are saying around lunchtime today.

What sort of cattle are you sending Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

where did you get r grades on whitehead heifers? We’re they out of friesian cows?

The ifa/ifj wouldn’t ever be my go to guide. I ring people who I know have sold in the week as they do me. These are roughly half over/underage. Mixed but mostly continental. Procurement man definitely only paid 4.90 for 3days kill last week and I’m getting whatever is going on Friday if they have actually risen.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

You’re a very stubborn man Jameson . Everyone is telling you there is more going . Do not take any less than 5 euro base out of any factory . You would be a fool to do so. You don’t have to take any less at the present times . And beef will not be worth any less in the first month of 24 either . When times like this arrive with factories tight and looking stock and pinching cattle of each other you fight hard for every penny . You even ring another factory you don’t deal with . The one you normally deal with will think more of you next time you have stock to sell if you do jump ship this time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

When you deal in the same agent and factory they know from experience what type of cattle you keep and how much finish they carry and what market they suit, it’s there game and they have to know what they are getting, shopping around is not a big deal, listening to word of mouth is not much use as most lads talk up there price they got for their cattle, have got flat rate as stated at times in Kcc and kepak. Also the grading machine is not run by the factories it’s independent. It’s amazing to see how cattle kill out for well done to under finished and how the yield off the carcass,

• Advertisement

fight hard and digging deep requires the farmer to still open bales of silage and pour meal. The procurement man won’t even spill his coffee. But as I said if it’s going I’ll get it. Who did you sell to this week?

The grading machine is owned and calibrated by the factory. The department periodically checks the accuracy. I’m not disputing the existence of flat rate pricing. I often avail of it but it’s nothing like as described here.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Everytime my dealer brings cattle to APB Waterford the grading is very tight, I'm avoiding them if at all possible.

Grading needs to be taken out of the factories hands, it's a ridiculous setup.

You get a sheet with an o grade Angus steer at 5.40/5.50 a kg and post it up and as they say I’ll show you my sheet.

• Advertisement

It should be under the remit of the national standards authority just as the weigh scales are. Abp are not the worst. Euro farm…..😫

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Robson99

Lads going with 4 or 5 cattle will always get less than the lad with the load. Some lads jump ship to another factory for 5 cent.... personally I wouldnt..... the day you have one that doesnt grade the way you felt it would and you have your tail between your legs

You are a very stubborn person. I don't like being doubted so I'm going to ring my neighbour at lunchtime to see how he fared yesterday. I'll tell him some doubting Thomas on the internet thinks he isn't telling me the truth.

but isn’t it a done deal? You said he definitely getting 5.40 flat no matter what grade and age they are? A picture of the kill sheet. Obviously blur out the man’s details , tag numbers and even pm it to me. Just the plant, date of kill, grades and price per kg will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭farm to fork

The were out of British Friesians I would say. Fr was the breed of the Dam on the card. Now they graded R- so nothing special but qualified for base price. They killed out fierce well at 54%

I'm not going to ask him for that. I don't want him thinking I don't believe him. When I most certainly do. There have been any amount of posters on here saying the same as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭Seadin

What moneys should 4 x AA animals be getting approx that graded

O+2+. KO 309kg

0=2= KO 315kg

0-3= KO 301kg

0+3+ KO 342kg

Awaiting the cheque but haven't prices yet. Base price at €4.90.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭grass10

Are these hot or cold weights. cold weight is supposed to be 98% of total hot weight but I know of at least 1 factory that will not provide side 1 or side 2 hot weight or even provide total hot weight they just give you total cold weight and will not provide the actual recorded weights to you

You should be getting a flat price of €5.40 at least😉

The o+s should be €5.2O

the o- €5.08

the O= wasnt fat enough so your at their mercy and discretion but €5.08 would be what I’d ask for.

Post edited by Jjameson on

• Advertisement

6 O+'s and 2 R-'s. Average weight of 336 KG. Sounds good, but they got a good amount of meal in the last 2 months.

6+ 2=7

Or 8 ?or did he sell 9.? What was the average price per head he surely told you that?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

What are you on about now? I asked him how did ye come to get the flat price. He said it was nearly the first thing they said when he called to enquire last Friday. They offered him the usual grid based system with 4.95 as base price or a flat price of 5.40 as it was all AAX he was sending.

If you look at the IFA website, the price up today for this week, is indeed 4.95 in the factory in midlands he went to.

Fair play he conned them.. because 4.95 base isn’t within an asses roar of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No flat pricing locally for the average Joe. ABP and Dawn plants. Certain supplier that are killing 200+ a year get a bit more. Quoted base this week for local suppliers is 4.85/kg, I got 4.9 base for a single bullock going overag. 4.95 is probably available for a load. Sorry I did not hold him as he was FS 3+ he was a plain ch bullock grading O=.

If you are up in the Midlands and are between 3-4 processors ya you can price around and they will compete. But traveling a serious distance with cattle is not worth a hat of crabs.

Transport is now 25++/ head and you will definitely be loaded the evening before if not late afternoon. I see Sunday loading @ 11am for cattle to go to Slaney for Monday morning.

I have seen lads caught when the market changes. Know a lad locally that was an agent for a midlands plant that is carrying his cattle to Gortalea. He burnt his bridges with the local plants. He was amazed that myself and another lad were always getting the HE bonus all our HE 18 months ago as he could not get it where he was going to at the time.

Between transport and extra DW I would need 14-18 c/ kg to break even if travelling. 5c/ kg above that is 17-18 euro.

I saw it after the strike irregular suppliers struggled to get cattle killed and a large percentage went overrage and as well AA and HE bonuses disappeared for a lot of these lads.

There is 6-8 weeks during the year when you can really bargain but if you are supplying outside these times I do not want it to be costing me 14-18c/kg.

15c/ kg is the AA bonus locally I rang thevAA society and was told that was the standard bonus agreed with ABP. Bugbear but I cannot change it. I seldom have much more than 3-4 of them.

On the other hand I buy cattle out of Kerry at 50-100/ head cheaper than the Midlands so I cannot have it every way. Buying now to hang in 2025. Bought 4 Friesians and two SI last week. The Friesians are middle of the road O- average I would say.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

What sort of a chap is the last one at €130? If he's healthy and not stunted you're starting from a very low base as regards expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

Factories don't reward guys sending in Angus with fat scores of 2 . That an animal that's not finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭kk.man

• Advertisement

Your not with the programme. If you have a load of them you just ring around(midlands in particular)and you’ll get a flat price 20cent better than good correct fat score r grade continentals…

Advertisement