Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I dont disagree per se with the premise BUT this is a worldwide affair and is a big Macro Economic problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Villa05

There is no direct evidence that HTB inflates prices

Buy a new house and immediately attempt to resell at the price the developer is selling similar properties

The developers buyer get a grant, your buyers don't.

Which do you think will sell first

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Are you asking the builder or trades people to be paid less?

Are you going to force material costs down and if so how?

Are you going to reduce the regulations around housing?

Are you going to subsidise houses more and transfer burden to tax payers?

This is just nonsense statement and kite flying to win over younger voters. People will fall for it. And to be honest if anyone feels locked out of housing then voting for change makes sense.

I would be very interested to see how they achieve this and why people buying into it think it os achievable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

My post was not pro means-testing at all. I was simply pointing out that it's one of many ways in which our tax and social welfare systems incentivise over-investment in property.

I don't like means testing, but if we do it, there's no reason that a PPR should be excluded - at least, don't exclude the value of the PPR in excess of the national average or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The HTB scheme gave extra credit to buyers basically. Which in any constrained supply market will only push prices up.

• Advertisement

Even with 0% VAT, upfront finance (0% cost), 0% margin (state building) and aggressive land taxes and zoning to push down land prices, you still would not be able to hit 250k per unit build price in GDA

From SCSI 2023 cost of housing delivery

You could drastically reduce soft costs in some ways, but materials and labour is still very high, partially due to new high energy efficiency & BER targets. I cant see those building regs being altered unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

That is exactly the point I was trying to make, it segregated the market. Buyers of new homes got no real financial gain from HTB, it is a subsidy to the developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

On the fact that the selling prices of new builds were increased by exactly the same amount available under help to buy. Therefore new buyers had to borrow the same of amount of money to buy the house as they would have of HTB didn't exist.

It was a government scheme designed to keep developers profits healthy in the hope that they would choose to invest those profits in more new developments. It doesn't help the first time buyer in any way. Maybe at a stretch it indirectly helps other potential first time buyers in the situations where the developers use the HTB money to fund other new developments thus increasing the overall supply. But that is a stretch.

It artifically inflated the price of new homes and most likely had a knock on effect of inflating the price of 2nd hand homes. But maybe not to the same extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Villa05

It artifically inflated the price of new homes and most likely had a knock on effect of inflating the price of 2nd hand homes. But maybe not to the same extent

It may well have gone further than that as, I believe, most first time buyers are buying 2nd hand properties. Most new builds go to funds and the state

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Blut2

Stripping out the private sector stuff like sales/marketing and margin, and the government taxes like VAT etc, from that image gives a cost of 310k in 2023. Thats house building cost, siteworks, site development, professional fees, land and acquisition.

The state could also presumably build and sell houses at a loss if it was inclined to - build them at that 310k cost say, but sell them for 280k. It wouldn't be any more costly to state finances than current schemes like the HTB, just this would actually reduce the cost of housing instead of inflating it.

The state does also still own significant amounts of land that could presumably reduce the 70k land cost element if used, further lowering the unit price.

Substantial amounts of state build houses being sold for circa 250k say would definitely bring down the average house price significantly. It would also presumably be a lot more popular with voters than social housing - because middle income earners would be the ones benefitting from being able to buy these.

Is any of this likely? Not at all. But it is possible, if we had a government so inclined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SummerK

I have seen developers increasing prices overnight when the HTB was increased from 5% to 10% (15k to 30k) few years ago. A good number of them increased prices of houses by 10K and they left 5K for the consumers, good guys I suppose.

Yes it does help first time purchasers in raising deposit, however that money is aimed for developers and not consumers as such IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If there is a house for sale for 400k, one applicant gets a 30k FTB grant from the government and bids 430k, the other applicant doesn't and is outbid, what has that achieved? The house would have been bought, and lived in either way. Only this way it cost 30k of tax payers money.

The problem is still the lack of supply of houses. Measures like the FTB grant that don't address this just drive up prices, as anyone whos ever taken an undergrad level economics module would tell you.

That money would be better spent by the Irish state on actually building houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,577 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its seriously questionable if it did. Even if it did, if it hampered others it is still a huge problem

The old FTB grant helped nobody, and hampered those who didn't qualify, when it was removed new houses dropped across the board by the same amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

all good things come to an end

US banks could get slammed with another $160 billion in losses as commercial real estate risks its biggest crash since 2008

https://www.businessinsider.com/commercial-real-estate-crash-bank-losses-interest-rates-2024-2023-12?r=US&IR=T

It still helps get FTBs on the ladder!

Or would you rather the houses were all hoovered up by the govt, the rich, or investors?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

If the state wanted to help FTBs to own a home, there would be far more efficacious ways to do it beyond pumping more funny-money into a market already awash with cash.

It helps FTBs who do get the grant to the detriment of those FTBs who may not. At the end of the day there is a finite number of houses for sale, some people are always going to lose out.

Giving extra money to some buyers just pushes up prices across the board for everyone. Literally is very basic economic theory here.

• Advertisement

The Irish state has built hundreds of thousands of houses since independence. The state was building almost 10k a year houses in the 1970s, when our population was half what it is now, and when we were a poverty ridden, corrupt state that could barely run itself.

That the state has only built very small numbers over the last decade is entirely down to very deliberate government decision making and policy.

This is true. The tenement clearances were largely funded and enacted by the state itself. Places like Ballyfermot were largely build up just for this purpose. Isn't it amazing what can happen when the state actively works for the good of its own citizens.

Sadly, some of the rental situations available in Dublin today are starting to look a little like tenements all over again.

Thr current govt dont seem to have an appetite to build homes though.

I dont see a change on that front from the current govt, as they prefer to let the private sector build and then LAs purchase/rent the properties from the developers.

It still enables a cohort to get on the ladder, that otherwise would have not been able to do so.

If its a choice between 5% higher home prices and more FTBs or static home prices and fewer FTBs, I would always opt for the latter.

And if house prices were 5% lower, how many FTBs would be able to buy one? The answer is that we don't know. It's also impossible to say that more FTBs were able to buy because of HTB. The only thing that can be said with confidence is that HTB injected more cash into a market that was already drowning in it. HTB was inflationary. Those who did not qualify for it were priced out or forced to take on more debt than was necessary.

The current government has shown it has absolutely no appetite to build homes, no. A change of government would be required to change this policy.

Luckily theres an election due soon, and housing is the number one issue for the electorate.

True that we cant say exactly how many people wouldnt have got on the ladder without HTB, but raising the deposit is often the largest hurdle to clear for FTBs.

People frequently pay more in rent than they would on a mortgage, but because they cant raise the deposit, they are stuck in the rent trap.

Elevating folks out of that trap has to be a good thing, even if it slightly nudges up house prices (which is open to debate).

We could well end up with fewer homes being built overall under a SF govt.

32k homes will be built this year - above the govt overall housing target and 2024 should see a slightly higher number again, possibly 35k.

Not saying that 30k to 35k is ideal, but it certainly isnt nothing.

I would expect more homes to be completed under FFG than SFFF, as SF will obstruct investment funds, many of whom make our larger scale developments viable in the first place.

I can accept that. It isn't easy to save when you're paying 2k a month to rent an apartment, I would assume. At the same time, I just don't believe that handing out more money is a solution anymore. It's very easy for the state to throw money at the problem, and that's all that it's done for years. It doesn't help as the fundamental issue doesn't change: too little supply, too much demand.

• Advertisement

Very true.

Supply certainly isnt catching up at the rate we need it to.

How long will it be before we can hit 50k new homes per year instead of 30k-35k, I dont know.

Hopefully the tail off in commercial building will help invest labour into residential construction over the next 5 yrs or so.

Advertisement