Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Monitoring/Automation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭con747

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Not really but probably something like this will do it.

{% set discharge_needed_wh = (now_battery_usable_wh) %}
    {% set load = (states('sensor.load_power') | int) %}
    discharge_needed_wh: {{ ((now_battery_usable_wh)-load) / 2 }}

now_battery_usable_wh: 12240
    discharge_needed_wh: 5559.0

the /2 can be updated to "hours left until 15kw o'clock"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,

Anyone have a recommendation for a heat meter that measures flow rate and flow/return temps with easy integration into home assistant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yeah I just watched those. I'm confused about getting it integrated with ha, is there any simpler way to integrate that using another pi? I wouldn't mind the investment with the goal of accurately measuring house heat loss before heading down a future heat pump road

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Depends on how DIY your looking to go.

You could get a flow meter and then some ds18b20, wire it all into a esp8266, some thermal pad, zip tie them to the flow and return, cover in insulation for good measure.

Possibly would use tasmota, or esphome.

Take the pulse count, convert that to L/s

kW = flow rate(L/s) x temperature difference (in C) x 4.18.

Home assistant can then convert kW to kWh.

Hardest bit is getting the flow meter in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

alias: Feed Battery to Grid at 00:30
    description: Feed Battery to Grid at 00:30
    trigger:
      - platform: time
        at: "00:30:00"
        enabled: true
    condition:
      - type: is_value
        condition: device
        device_id: c4b480de0d2709c5f57651377ebc5be6
        entity_id: sensor.battery_state_of_capacity
        domain: sensor
        above: 20
    action:
      - device_id: c4b480de0d2709c5f57651377ebc5be6
        domain: select
        entity_id: select.battery_working_mode
        type: select_option
        option: Fully Fed To Grid
      - wait_for_trigger:
          - type: value
            platform: device
            device_id: c4b480de0d2709c5f57651377ebc5be6
            entity_id: sensor.battery_state_of_capacity
            domain: sensor
            below: 20
      - device_id: c4b480de0d2709c5f57651377ebc5be6
        domain: select
        entity_id: select.battery_working_mode
        type: select_option
        option: Time Of Use
    variables:
      entity_solar_forecast: sensor.solcast_forecast_today
      entity_inverter_target_soc: number.battery_grid_charge_cutoff_soc
    mode: single

I had this running for a while in the summer; but disabled it eventually. My fear was a was losing more on wear and tear on the battery; plus with conversion losses it was not adding up to huge money.

But as I’ve nearly the system a full year now; and I’m hitting full 100%-0% cycles nearly every day now; I’m less concerned with the wear and tear. Some might look into it again when summer comes around.

Yeah the only thing is to not drain it past the lower limit and then pull from grid before 2am, which is totally dependant on the house load at the time (and if anyone is awake and wasting power beyond the baseline)

thats why I defined it to stop discharging at 20% which is prob too high; I’d prob go for 5% this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Does anyone using a Huawei inverter with home assistant have an issue with the entities going unavailable every so often and if so did you find a solution? A reboot will resolve it but a bit of annoyance if you lose generation data due to the entities been unavailable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭JayBee66

Are you using Solarman integration for HA version 1.5.1?

If so then roll back to 1.4.3

There are issues with 1.5.1 not being stable with a random sample of inverters. No particular inverter (though I haven't seen anyone with a Solis having the problem) and not all owners of a particular inverter that suffer from the problem.

Post edited by JayBee66 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Sorry I should have mentioned integration, no in my case it's the wlcrs Huawei Solar Integration.

Okay. I have the same resulting problem in that entities go unavailable and can only be brought back with a reboot.

You could try a roll back to a previous version of your integration and see if it makes a difference.

I use the same one: https://github.com/wlcrs/huawei_solar and maybe 1 or 2 times in the last year the stats weren’t available; but I put it down to home assistant rather than the inverter as when i restarted HA everything came back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Same for me and the Huawei integration, it's usually more on the HA side and a reboot (or reload integration) usually does the trick. I think I've had it go off once during the year when my battery SOC automation was running and that was annoying but it hasn't happened since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭staples7

In the same boat as you, wondering if you got set up? Huawei inverter only installed last week. Would love to set up some dedicated monitoring device in the kitchen. The app is good just hassle checking it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

You shouldn't require the installer password (but having it stored somewhere is a good idea in case the installer goes under).

I /think/ most people don't use the smart dongle, I had trouble setting it up without but a lot of other people have more luck. I'd say try out the integration (it's a really good integration) and see if you can get what you need from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭staples7

It's still a bit past what Im looking for I think. Just something like an echo show perhaps that I can logon onto fusion solar webpage and keep that showing. Could go down the route of an old IOS device also. iPad mini, old iPhone and buy some sort of wall mount

You should be able to display home assistant down the road on whatever device you choose :) (join us on the dark side! so many automations! including charging/discharging your battery on demand or making other things behave when the sun comes out like your car charger)

Then you just want to show the fusionsolar webpage on kiosk mode on a broswer on a phone/tablet?

• Advertisement

Apparently, Solarman Smart users can have their accounts permissioned so that they can control their inverters remotely from within the Solarman App; battery charging on/off etc.

I was wondering what data you have to supply to your inverter manufacturer to get permissioned as their Chinglish instructions make no sense to me.

"Hello, you need to provide us with the account information interface of your smart version account so that we can authorize based on the information."

I gave them my Solarman Smart account ID but that doesn't seem to be enough.

Took a while but I have been authorised for Solarman Remote Control. Does all I need. I can fiddle with my inverter panel from anywhere. Even when on holiday. Turn off battery charging whilst away and turn it back on whilst travelling home. This negates any need for me to set up this functionality in Home Assistant.

Modbus registers can be both read and setup from a web browser. I can also see registers that are not seen from the inverter menu screen. Below, you can see that I am able to limit export whilst charging the battery at night. Something that I am not able to do on the inverter panel.

Just a reminder to setup automated backups of home assistant.. I didn't lose any data but made life a lot more difficult for myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Sounds pretty grim. I run a nightly full machine Veeam backup myself, while also having yaml in a private git repo.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭jasgrif11

I automate full backup nightly at 3am to dropbox. I keep 7 backups and purge the rest.

Added 1TB SSD to the HA PI recently too.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭insular1

Relatively new to home assistant but was feeling a tad vulnerable after reading this with only a crappy 32gb SD card in the Pi and no auto back ups. Thanks for the tips, have it automatically backing up to Google drive daily now. Amazing how dependant I have become on this in only a few short weeks! Would be very painful if I had to start again from scratch.

Need to get a new SSD for nightly snap shots too of the VMs. But have it now being backed up to the cloud.

Yeah, power blinked and the HA VM never came back up. Only would boot into recovery. I suppose it possibly would have been fixable but was getting nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭insular1

Before using HA I had the bright idea of monitoring some of my heavy loads individually using additional CT's linked to the myenergi system but annoyingly myenergi doesn't have this feature. Recently discovered however that HA can pick up the individual CT's linked to myenergi even if they are not actually configured in the myenergi system. This has allowed me to monitor several loads individually (Heat pump, Zappi v1 without a hub and garage) just using the Harvi CT's. May have already been mentioned in the thread but just in case it wasn't, might be of use to someone.

• Advertisement

hi folks,

has anyone integrated the nest thermostat with home assistant? Ive added the official integration but it doesnt look like it gives access to boost hot water. Only gives option to turn on / off heat. I'd like to add an automation that would boost my hotwater if it dips below a certain temp (have a temp sensor in ha from the eddii) Ive seen some references to running a homekit docket container and being able to control it that way - anyone given it a go?

Cheers,

Mick

Advertisement