Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread Nov 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Coleman really showing his true colours this week. Pathetic....doesn't want the image of too many gardai around the streets, thinks sentencing is proportionate and we shouldn't change it, people getting carried away.....what a clown.

In fairness to Kelly for once, she seemed to be incredulous on a few occasions in the last week but despite her arguments, he isn't for turning. Pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Lazy journalism again

Heard yer one Andrea play Haunted after the news and called it by Sinead O’Connor and the pogues ….. eh not the bloody version you played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,493 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Like our Justice Minister #dublinissafe with feck all guards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Terry Prone on again today. She must be an expert on everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Do they have to include some survey in every news headlines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭leath_dub

They have to give Andrea Gilligan some content to talk about FFS

Surveys, opinion polls, etc. are her bread and butter

I really couldn't give less of a fawk about proposed changes to the constitution. I doubt very many lose sleep about them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Is Newstalk dipping in and out for anyone else this morning?

Two fairly large chunks of silence in the last 5 mins for me..... and the last one came back to ads (which may have been scheduled, I have no idea)

God this whiny woman on about her partner is so crap at getting presents. Why are ye even together?

I see the Census has at last revealed some uncomfortable truths for the irish language lobby and the failure of Let's Make Irish Sexy. People simply aren't bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Shane Coleman must have been the biggest teachers pet ever .

Yes teacher we shouldnt have open fires

Yes teacher we should cycle everywhere

yest teacher we should lower the speed limits

Etc

etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

He's related to Dermot Ahern - former FF Justice Minister.

What else could be expected from Coleman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

But that’s the “thing”, D.

She’s exactly what the listeners need. They don’t need some arrogant neckbeard giving them detailed “spec suggestions” or scoffing at some stupid question.

They need Ms. Kelly to tell them which phone has the best camera or to remember to update to the latest OS for “security” reasons.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,457 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

A lot of strange Jess Kelly hate and criticising her credentials.

She does a great job for the audience on the shows she pops up on. If she popped up talking about GPU improvements in the rumoured PS5 Pro, nearly all the audience would switch off in utter bewilderment. That doesn't mean she doesn't know it or isn't all over it herself - she just has her audience for those slots and that's her job.

Most of the basic requests that she responds to when she pops up on other shows are the requests most of the audience can relate to, so its fairly understandable.

There's a good reason why she's on the radio talking tech, and most experts/geeks aren't.... and this is an example of it.

Talking down to people who aren't as well up on a subject is one sure-fire way to drive away your listenership, rapid.

She's fluent, has a pleasant accent and voice, knows her audience and caters to them, and doesn't try to show off or bamboozle people.

I just don't get the hate tbh.

She has a BA in Irish and Geography. She's a likeable character anyhow,they should use her more.

Is it her or her "title" that offends you? What would you suggest they call her?

And whichever it is, why does it bother you so much? It's kind of bizarre really!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Cuddihy has really grown on me. I like his voice, I think he’s much better than he used to be and I generally find the programme interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Have to agree, aside from his obvious dislike of anyone questioning unlimited immigration I find his show fine. Also enjoy the taste and cooking segments.

Hopefully the regulars get back to their shows next week, getting jaded of all the stand-ins. Lazy radio, new years resolutions topics done to death.

I’ve really enjoyed Stefanie Preissner’s shows over the “break”. Can’t say I like Tom Dunne standing for Moncrieff, he’s good on the music show but can’t take to him in the afternoon.

If Anton is being set up to replace Pat Kenny then Stefanie should get the weekend slots.

Stephanie reminding us constantly she has a baby, yes yes we get it, you reproduced. Tom glosses over stuff that doesn't interest him all that much and makes a meal of music related slots.

Ha, yeah, I think she’s fairly close to having a second kid so get ready for more of that when she’s back on air again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Stephanie is a hard listen to be honest. Her contribution about building without planning permission was rightly slapped down by her guest. "We all want a rules based system, we just don't want the rules to apply to us" 🎯

Savage is alright for the lightweight stuff. He's not a replacement for Pat though. Gavin Reilly maybe.

Interesting slot with Matt Cooper, I know he's flogging a "buke" but interesting who owns Ireland nonetheless.

Anton is far too sports casual, it's like he doesn't take weighty topics seriously.

• Advertisement

Fair point. Wouldn’t mind Gavan Reilly taking over.

Advertisement