Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The evidence from Penny Mordaunt on messages she could no longer find from Johnson looks sinister:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

A government minister reported mysterious behaviour on her phone and was told she would have to pay for the investigation herself.

That is highly suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭swampgas

Something like NSO Pegasus (which might be capable of remotely deleting messages like this) being deployed against government ministers and MPs would not surprise me, but would be pretty shocking if confirmed. Or should be pretty shocking if true, but who knows - maybe it wouldn't even make the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

May not agree with her politically, But I would trust the word of Mordaunt. Message with Gove deleted also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

He didn't come across that way at the COVID enquiry

He just seemed super slick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,854 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It was a personal device. She shouldn't have been using a personal device in the first place.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

She should be in trouble for that but it's beside the point. Still shouldn't prohibit an investigation by telling her to fork out 40k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭PommieBast

For 40k I wonder what they would actually do to the handset.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And another by-election in a Tory seat likely to flip coming in January... I'm sure Sunak has no fears as always...

Rishi Sunak will face another by-election test early next year after MP Peter Bone lost his seat in parliament in a recall petition.

The Northamptonshire MP was suspended from the Commons for six weeks in October after an inquiry found he had subjected a staff member to bullying and sexual misconduct.

He has now lost his seat in the recall petition triggered by his suspension, after it was backed by 13.2 per cent of eligible voters – 10,505 people – in his Wellingborough constituency, surpassing the 10 per cent threshold needed to trigger a by-election.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Typically the MPs in these kinds of stories are ones that I've never heard of but not this time. He was very prominent in recent years as one of those ERG members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Not too many towns in Northamptonshire that Northampton can look down on, but Wellingborough is one. An absolute run down neglected kip full of knuckle dragging Sun and Daily Mail readers. If I recall correctly Labour actually came 3rd behind Tories and UKIP at one point so If they can pull this one off it would truly be Armageddon for the Conservatives.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,784 ✭✭✭✭L1011

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/1220/1423066-ireland-uk-case/ this is going to cause much screeching by the right wing press in GB, and more demands to "leave the ECHR" even though only GB can leave and this is NI; but it was clearly inevitable that the case would have to be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the Irish government taking the UK Government to court about an internal UK matter, namely a legacy issue (prosecutions) from the Northern Ireland Troubles which finished in about 1998 - right?

If that's all correct then how (and why) can the Dublin government take the UK Government to court over an internal UK issue from the past?

Why is Dublin getting involved?

The UK wants to draw a line in the sand for all the cold cases from the troubles because evidence is very scarce, people are old and it's time to move on, while the ROI government is saying what exactly???

Keep tracking down IRA, INLA, UDA, and UFF terroris whilst also going after army and police veterans?

That's my uninformed read of the story so far. So please enlighten me with the bits I'm missing.

What's going on

Other countries can take cases on breaches of human rights, which this almost certainly will be found to be

Some of the cases are under 30 years old and there is no desire to move on except from those who support people likely to go to prison for the crimes they committed.

When precisely would you think it'd time to move on from prosecuting a blatantly guilty murderer? Because that's what we're talking about, on all sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It's also a worrying precedent that a country is looking to drop cases where its soldiers have murdered its own citizens (regardless of political outlook, the UK army technically killed British citizens).

Any country where its army has killed its own citizens should surely be having an open and public investigation into the matter instead of looking to bury it and seal off all legal paths, especially a first world.democracy that is one.of the most influential countries on the world stage.

On that point alone, I fully support the ROI gov drawing attention to this issue.

You ask, when do I think its time to move on ...

I don't have an opinion as I don't know what the people in NI are thinking, what do they want? Indefinite trials and court cases or do they want to finally move on?

What are they asking for?

That those identified as potential murderers stand trial.

In some cases they are barely in their 50s so the idea that its all doddery old men that Mercer et al have pushed isn't true

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What you're missing is that the whole point of the European Convention on Human Rights is that it creates a framework by which states make themselves accountable to the international community — i.e. to other states — for their domestic human rights abuses.

Most cases taken under the Convention are taken by individuals — usually the victims of the abuses concerned. But of course if human rights abuses are severe enough, the victims may not have the opportunity to do this. So an important aspect of the Convention is the facility for other states to take cases.

It doesn't happen often, but it does happen, and in fact it has happened before between Ireland and the UK. In the 1970s Ireland took a case against the UK alleging that interrogation methods used in Northern Ireland amounted to torture — a violation of the Convention. The court found that they did not amount to torture but they did amount to "inhuman and degrading treatment", and so there was a violation of the Convention.

In that case most of the victims of the interrogation methods were, of course, Irish citizens; hence the interest that the Irish government took in the matter. The Convention doesn't require such a link — any state could have taken the matter up — but it practice it is usual that there would be a link of this kind. Cyprus has taken proceedings against Turkey over the treatment of Greek Cypriots in the Turkish-controlled part of Cyprus. Georgia has taken proceedings against Russia over the treatment of ethnic Georgians in Russia.

The Belfast Agreement is decidedly NOT an internal UK matter.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I’m not well informed either, but that explains my understanding also

• Advertisement

Please don’t speak for me (and everyone else). I Certainly do not support those who would be going to prison and I know lots of people who have suffered great loss through the troubles. I see no point in continuing to attempt to get prosecutions on these issues. (the most recent of which is now a quarter of a century ago., with many over half a century ago).

I accept that there was fairly unanimous opposition to this bill from the representatives of victims groups on all sides in Northern Ireland, but I do think the Dublin governments involvement has thrown a hand grenade into the middle of that.

there is deep wonder in some communities up here way ROI is so het up about this legacy bill, but had no issues about terrorists receiving letters of comfort to ensure they would not be charged with any crime - of course, these were Republican terrorists only, so maybe that had something to do with it.

I think Dublin involvement in this issue should also shine a spotlight on how many people in their jurisdiction have been investigated and charged with the thousands of cross-border initiated attacks on communities in Northern Ireland over the same period .

I smell a rat

I take it, you are equally concerned that a first world democracy supported the establishment, including the supply of arms, of a vicious terrorist organisation that operated for 30 years, killing fellow Irish men. Are you calling for that government to carry out major enquiries into exactly what went on.

Please actually write out what you're accusing me of here rather than hiding it in weasel words, thanks

So you're happy for certain historical matters to not be brushed under the carpet after all.

Do you have any evidence that this happened though...

I did ask a question about a Baroness PPE in the House of Lords (who's all over the news), but my post/question hasts been deleted, so it seems I must stick with this Legacy topic !!!

-------------------

So, apparently Mr Varadkar's move will take No:10 to court over the Troubles legacy Bill, which was aimed at dropping the outstanding killing investigations during the Troubles. A double edged sword apparently, as if Varadkar is successful in the courts, all perpetrators from all sides will be hunted & apprehended, including security forces, Republican terrorists, and Loyalist Terrorists ... All sides will be looking over their shoulders to see who might have been involved in something from between 25 to 50 years ago!

Thank you Sky News, I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

@downcow

Of course. If proved the Irish government was involved in supporting the IRA then there should be consequences for that. State involvement on ether side is wrong, regardless of my political leanings.

A pardon for terrorists is one thing which I'm not entirely comfortable with but I can understand. However, applying such an amnesty to members of the state's armed forces is a serious concern.

What do you think of a law that protects from prosecution soldiers who shoot and kill unarmed protesters who are citizens of that same country (regardless of the country involved)? Does it not seem like a dangerous legal precedent?

Others can answer that, although I could say many players or witnesses from the past are dead, including Charles Haughey.

I wanted to embark on a lighter scandal involving ppe during Covid, but I'll go elsewhere with that one .....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: I sent you a PM that your post failed to meet the basic standards expected within the forum. There is nothing stopping you discussing Mone or the Tory/PPE scam within the UK but at least post some content rather than one liner rubbish. (Do not reply to this post on thread nor should you comment on moderation in-thread.)

Troubles Legacy / Courts

Hope the court challenge doesn't backfire on Varadkar. Bad timing too of you ask me, what with Stormont being down and the issue with post Brexit sea border.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

(A bit more info on your thoughts would be better.)

In what way might it backfire on Varadkar?

However, there is only one reason Stormont is down and that has nothing to do with an Irish Sea border (which was a situation created by the DUP & ERG and overwhelmingly voted upon within Westminster).

Advertisement