Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Maybe I read too much into your post, but the statement below seemed to suggest that the only people who wanted to bring an end to endless picking at sores were those that support criminals

“there is no desire to move on except from those who support people likely to go to prison for the crimes they committed.”

• Registered Users Posts: 68,784 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're not answering the question I asked you there. At all.

Your posts on this thread show that you want it stopped because you support some (on one side) of those who should be prosecuted, proving my point. Support does not mean supporting their actions, just that you now support their evasion of justice

Prosecuting murderers is not "picking at sores"; and what is being proposed is not some truth and reconciliation setup

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think the victims of the trouble just want answers as to who did it and why?

All actions related to the troubles are to be ended - even inquests who only make findings of fact.

Now who benefits from ending inquests? So that is where the answer will be found as to why this particular act was brought into law.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

The British don't want prosecution of military personnel

That's understandable.They want what happens in war to stay there .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Would prosecution of military forces in NI also act as a precedent for other cases across the world? I can't imagine Bloody Sunday was unique across the former British Empire; and it's not like this government hasn't showed itself singularly unwilling to reconcile the repugnancy of its colonial past.

• Advertisement

The SAS death squads in Afghanistan is recent

That's been well publicised but nothing will come of it I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭PommieBast

It is a sop to military top-brass, one of the few solid rumps of Conservative support left.

It's bad though overall for morale and recruitment though isn't it

The possibility of prosecution later

I am simply of the opinion (and I have good friends disagree) that it is impossible to carry out endless investigations on 3,000+ murders. my issue is with the partisan position of the republic government. They should have themselves investigated or start with low hanging fruit by demanding the British government rescind the amnesty letters they gave to IRA members who are sitting MLAs

I would put them all behind bars if I could.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In what way have the Irish government been partisan?

• Advertisement

It’s not perfect but there won’t be a perfect. I guess we won’t agree on who was most guilty ie terrorists who planned for days to kill innocent people or soldiers who in a riot situation killed innocent people.

the simple solution is to treat everyone the same.

how do you feel about a government who launches a legal case on this but never raised a peep over republican terrorists getting letters guaranteeing they would never be prosecuted?

If it was proven then we wouldn’t need an enquiry. Now what ‘consequences’ would you suggest if Irish state involvement was proven?

It’s already backfired a tad. The news media up north this morning is talking about the hypocrisy of Roi and what they need to investigate. i suppose every cloud, and all that

We all benefit except the lawyers.

what do BS tribunal cost - was it £200m+ and that’s 13 deaths of 3,000+.

In only pushing for investigations north of the border

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Perfectly understandable as is the Irish governments reaction to it.

Used work with a few army "beats" and whatever way they vote now they all say that they voted Tory in their first elections because they were brought up with the belief that the Tories are the party that "look after" the army.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Terrorist organisations by their nature are rogue entities. A country's army is there to defend its people, not kill them. The standards applied to both groups should not be the same. There is a clear difference between the murder of innocent people by terrorist organisations and the murder of innocent people by the army of their very own country.

There is normally outcry when the army opens fire against protesters in any country; that it should happen in a country that is one of the world leaders is alarming and this subsequent attempt to sweep it under the carpet even more so.

This law has the potential to set a legal precedent where British army soldiers can shoot and kill British citizens who are protesting and then never be held accountable. Is that something you agree with?

I don't think the actions of terrorist organisations and the British army are comparable. I think it is a cynical move by the UK government to lump in the British army and let them off the hook. It is a very dangerous precedent.

You keep conflating the British army with terrorist organisations. Is this how you believe the British army should be seen legally, i.e. another terrorist organisation? If so, what kind of confidence or respect would that inspire in it as institution both inside and outside the UK?

Please address.the issue of my post before bringing in whataboutery and attempts at point scoring and gotchas. I am not arguing that the Irish government is holier than thou in this case; I do approve that is bringing attention to one issue which seems to be overlooked.

As for consequences for the Irish government if found to have interfered in NI, whatever the courts decide.

"This law has the potential to set a legal precedent where British army soldiers can shoot and kill British citizens"

Technically yes but in reality it only applies to the "Paddies" who the British don't really regard as being their fellow citizens.

Ask a British person if the army ever assassinated a UK citizen or if areas of the UK carry out kneecapping punishments and they will say "no"

Which is perhaps the scariest thing about it. I've met plenty of English people who, unfortunately, have no idea of what goes on/went on in NI despite it being a part of their bloody country.

That's why it is actually more important than people realise and why I find it astounding that more of an issue isn't being made about it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Bloody Sunday tribunal cost so much because the UK Gov and the UK Min of Defence fought tooth and nail to prevent the truth coming out the UK soldiers shot innocent unarmed marchers without due cause.

Now state troops should be held to a higher standard the illegal groups of terrorists or whatever they might be called. The British Gov does not agree with that apparently.

The British Army were instructed to retain the rifles used on the day but they went ahead and destroyed every one of them. No action was taken over that particular matter.

I think the protection of guilty state operators is the guiding influence in preventing further action on matters relating to the troubles. I think it will be fifty years before any truth emerges, but not all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

There is a massive difference between an agreement, signed by both sides and sponsored by outside actors, which sought to bring an end to the cycle of violence and tit-for-tat killings by drawing a line in the side and moving on.

There is a difference between that and the UK government unilaterally deciding that the UK army is now given a complete amnesty for anything it carried out. The army were supposed to be the peacekeepers, remember that they never declared it a war and did not treat IRA criminals as war criminals. The least the UK could have done is agreed to this in advance with the Irish government, and those in NI. They haven't done that and seemingly decided, that they (the army was acting on behalf of the state) are above the very laws that they expected others to obey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

It was really enlightening in 2017 when so many people in England realised who the DUP were for the very first time, only because they were now propping up the Tories. Most people in Ireland would love to have the luxury to be entirely unaware of the existence of the DUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,854 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That doesn't answer the question I asked at all.

a first world democracy supported the establishment, including the supply of arms, of a vicious terrorist organisation that operated for 30 years

You made an accusation, have you any evidence whatsoever to back that up?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Tories have been sharing this:

Nothing says "levelling up" like gutting an actual levelling up project so the money can be spent on London instead. There's a sense of tone deafness off this.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

And the "Network North" branding in the corner.

North London and the very greater North Croydon area.

Obviously couldn't mean North England, Scotland (the actual north of the country) or Northern Ireland because they don't give a fuk about any of the 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Is this just you trying to claim Leo threatened violence from dissident republicans again?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

The prospect of having the DUP in the Dail is the best argument for voting No in a border poll ever.

• Advertisement

There is no evidence that any Irish Gov actors were involved in any terrorist activity in NI.

However, there is plenty of evidence that the UK Gov ere involved in many of the killings of innocent civilians in NI, and here in Ireland. They supported Loyalist killer gangs by providing information and weapons. Then they failed to investigate the resulting atrocities. I suspect this is behind the amnesty - they do not want the truth revealed.

Advertisement