Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

No, it'd be like using posters from this thread as proof that Ireland supports Israel because some Irish passport holders support Israel. Because other Irish passport holders support Palestine, you could say Ireland supports Israel and Palestine at the same time with your logic, i.e. its nonsense.

There is no official line from BLM supporting Hamas. Until there is, your statement is false.

Do you have more evidence of Black supremacists being anti-semitic? You say it shouldn't be news so there must be plenty as your tone suggests its commonplace.

In your very first link, the ADL itself says "Some, not all".

I'm familiar with the NOI and I'd wager their anti-Semitism is more based on them being Muslims as opposed to Black supremacists.

The final link did have some interesting and uncomfortable stats showing that anti-semitic tropes are used more frequently among African-Americans, though the latest figures don't indicate it being a majority.

Its certainly something that's there but I still disagree that these African Americans are only siding with Palestinians out of anti-Semitism. Do you not think it could be that they see parallels in how they were/are treated in the US? This is a common reason for Irish people who empathise with the Palestinian struggle (it certainly applies in my case) so I don't think it unfathomable that members of another historically oppressed people think similarly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,559 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

More 'evidence' from what is irrefutably a Pro-Israel organisation.

Lads, when this is what you have to base your argument on, you really should stop and think before clicking the 'Post Comment' button.

Did you know that the ADL originally announced recognition for the Armenian Genocide by Turkey, but when directed to do otherwise by, yes you guessed it, Israel (with its bully big brother, the US in tow) it retracted that recognition. (I wonder why Israel didn't want anyone to see genocide being recognized in the Middle East)

I wouldn't trust its clock when it comes to matters relating to Israel's subjugation of the Palestinians.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I know. And when someone makes a blanket claim that it can't be secular because it has religious symbols in its public life, it's perfectly reasonable to look at other countries which also have religious symbols and an established religion to consider whether that fact alone is enough to make a country "not secular". So unless you're going to claim that the UK is "not secular", and that non C of Es are at a disadvantage in the UK, that's clearly not enough evidence for Israel either.

But maybe there is more evidence? For instance like in Gaza, where Hamas has harassed the few remaining Christians out of public life to the extent that they can barely even get jobs at the foreign-run Christian NGOs providing aid to the population, since Hamas' funds generally go to what is to them the far more important aim of destroying Israel?

Unlike Israel where Christians and Druze and Muslims are employed at the highest levels of the state. Seems sufficiently secular to me. Bit like the UK really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Complaining about a "pro israel" organisation makes sense when someone has been parroting hamas for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

This is the statement the poster made that I replied to:

"Have you ever been there, spoken to an israeli, or read their laws? It's a secular state by definition."

I then provided a citation that stated:

"Due to the massive role of religion in government and politics, Israel cannot be considered a secular state in the common sense of the word.[7]"

I didn't bring any other country into the debate and I certainly made no claims about the UK.

As I said in my reply to you, this thread is about current events in Israel.

You're perfectly entitled you your opinion: "Seems sufficiently secular to me." but I prefer citations and references.

If you have a contrary citation to the one I gave to add weight to your opinion, I'd be delighted if you would share it.

And do share citations for the UK and the evidence for your statement about Gaza. I would find those very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

You're deflecting now. It doesn't matter who ADL is, those are facts, not opinions and interpretations. The paratrooper tweet was reported all over so at least you have to be aware of that and you know what's the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

You went from denying their antisemitism to admitting there's something there and to justifying their antisemitism in just one post.

As for the Irish sympathy towards Palestinians, I think it's misguided and one sided.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭GeminiLad

Non-governmental. Why is that embarrassing?

Many believe the numbers published by 'Hamas Health Authority' on 'civilians' killed in Gaza. But a non-governmental NGO in Jerusalem...filthy liars!

I questioned your assertion.

And I denied your demonstrably false statement that BLM supports Hamas, which your own evidence agrees with.

Understanding a possible reason why people would sympathise with Palestinians is not anti-Semitism. It is sympathising with an oppressed people.

Show clearly for everyone where I justified anti-Semitism.

Wrong question.

The correct question is do you and others like you support a country that has been indiscriminately attacked by a murderous death cult who publicly call for the butchering of innocent civilians and use their own civilians to protect themselves thus causing more death and misery.

Do you call for the safeguarding of a country that has been subject of a sovereign nation president calling for it to be, 'wiped oft the map', while having aspirations to become a nuclear armed nation?

Do you call on the release of all innocent Israeli hostages held in Gaza?

And do you call for the extermination of a death cult that not only abuses its own people but steals the wealth from its own people to build infrastructure used solely for the murder of Jews.

I'm the source. Lived in Ireland 30 odd years and the first thing I say to anyone I meet, is that I'm a proud jew.

We take it from there.

Amnesty International.

The organisation who criticised Ukraine for sheltering and firing from populated urban areas but does not invoke same criticism of Hamas/Islamic Jihad.

Where was their outrage at Octover 7th attacks? Or the outrage for still holding innocent Israeli civilians as human shields?

Blatant bias.

Embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Well, the "evidence" given that Israel was not secular was supposedly because of symbols of the Jewish religion being part of the state. I'm saying that that isn't evidence, because other states such as the UK also have an established religion, yet still manage to allow members of other religions to have a full role in the life of the country.

Evidence would be if non Jewish Israelis could not get certain positions like high court judges or stand for election and so on. As I said that isn't the case, because Arab Israelis like George Karra are at the top of the legal profession in Israel. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Karra

Arab Israelis are also over represented among healthcare professionals and are present in other high status positions, particularly the legal profession. They also have elected representatives in the Knesset (the United Arab List and the Arab Democratic Party etc).

As for Gaza, I posted several links about the oppression of Christians there on this very thread not long ago.

Not sure what you're asking for about the UK - that the Church of England has special status as the "established religion"? That's pretty basic knowledge but here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_England

Or evidence that other religions are not discriminated again despite that? Again, pretty obvious for anyone who follows their media at all - just look at all the Irish people who do pretty well there. Hardly needs a link, surely?

Many believe Hamas figures because over the years, when WHO, or MSF, or other organizations determine deaths in Gaza, they've found the figures to be extremely close to those the Gaza Health Ministry produces.

We've seen how reliable Israeli communications and messaging has been over the last several weeks. The fact that this is supposedly an NGO means nothing to me in the context of who to believe.

I should no better than engaging with an account with only a handful of posts.

Here you go, some reading for you. Link

Palestinian armed groups must be held accountable for deliberate civilian killings, abductions and indiscriminate attacks 

Hamas and other Palestinian armed groups flagrantly violated international law and displayed a chilling disregard for human life by carrying out cruel and brutal crimes including mass summary killings, hostage-taking, and launching indiscriminate rocket attacks into Israel, Amnesty International said today. With evidence still emerging of the horrors that unfolded in southern Israel, Amnesty International will continue its investigations in order to determine the full range of crimes under international law.  

Have a good day, I'm done engaging with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,295 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Let’s stop the indiscriminate and ongoing murder of innocent people.

Then let’s get prisoners exchanged.

Then let’s get talking about the two state solution.

Then create a platform for Palestinians to reject Hamas in free and fair elections.

And then start aggressively criminalising terrorist activities.

But let’s be extremely clear. Support for Israel, or any state irrespective of context, cannot be a blank cheque. Israel must obey International law, it cannot indiscriminately murder civilians, it cannot steal land it is not entitled to, etc. The murder of innocent people needs to stop now!

• Advertisement

I think context is important.

Last elections were 2005 (18 years ago). Half the population of Gaza were not even born then.

Israel supported Hamas and wanted them to win the election to split the Palestinian authority.

Do you think the Israelis are currently exhibiting adult humane behaviour?

Sorry, I think I missed the post. The source of what?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,295 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Is that genuinely the first thing you’d say to someone you meet? Bit of a weird way to open a conversation in Ireland I’d say.

It would be like someone opening a conversation with “I’m a proud Roman Catholic” or “I’m a proud atheist”. Maybe you’d rather start with “hello” or the events of the day? Or the weather?

I think you meant to post this responding to someone else's comment, possibly in a different thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

There's a lot of arguments on here containing contradictions put forward as some kind of gotcha to excuse Israel (vs its neighbours and of course countries like Belarus) and imply its being held to an impossible standard.

What-about the muslim fundamentalism and the intolerance, oppression and violence that is widespread across rest of the ME...all the deaths in Syrian civil war, Yemen...blah blah...

In my mind either Israel is a Western democratic country all the way, even when at war, or it is not.

When Israel commit atrocities and war crimes to achieve goals, fact that they, unlike rest of ME, have democractic internal workings and a free society (excl. "occupied territories" ofc) and are a more humane place to live than surrounding countries + more like us in that way, is rendered irrelevant to me. 

Israel becomes yet another awful ME state, fitting into a violent region full of closed minds, religious and nationalist nutjobs and brutal rulers.

Given this, why should we (in real Western countries) support everything Israel does?

To try and force compliance and continued unquestioned support, they (govt., spokespeople etc.) come out with this very shrill and desparate (+ often absurd) you are with us or against us message.

If that's all they have now well it won't work forever I predict, not even on the US.

edit: Even before recent growth of isolationism in US, imo they have always been fickle and inconstant about allies when there is no deeper ideological or emotional link there and its just a case of "our bastard" vs "the other, maybe worse, bastard who is agin us".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes indeed - look at how Ukraine and Zelensky have responded to invasion by Russia for example. Despite major provocation, no reports of war crimes nor have they resorted to bombing civilian areas in Moscow. Zelensky is clearly a warm and empathetic man who cares about human life.

Israel has gone full on rogue / pariah state in the last couple of months and is seemingly not even remotely bothered about the consequences or their international reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

This is a lie. An utter and total fabrication.

Advertisement