Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Mary Lou has dug a bit of a hole for herself, everyone is asking how Sinn Fein will achieve this and as usual they have nothing to back it up

They need to start answering questions on these great prediction, somehow I doubt we will get any answers, Mary Lou and Sinn Fein will run away for Christmas and hope it all blows away.

Standard Sinn Fein. Good for a quote but nothing behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

How SF achieve what? Make sure the economy isn't crashed again?

The electorate is only too painfully aware of who is capable of crashing the economy. FF's current ratings in the polls shows they have not been forgiven for that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭pureza

Didn't Sinn Féin vote for the bank guarantee,that ultimately brought in the IMF imposed austerity?

We have to ask ourselves where we'd be if that unilateral action wasn't progressed?

They then advocated burning bond holders and rejecting the IMF as did FG despite the likelyhood that such actions would neuter Irelands borrowing capability

You also have to ask all opposition parties at the time what they voted for and advocated at the time

There is no moral high ground

Just typical opposition populism

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Mary Lou has added another item for them to be pushed on when the next election campaign starts, declaring no confidence in the Garda Commissioner was beyond stupid..

Giving a number that they want houses to be priced is on another level of stupidity..

2 issues for the other parties to keep focusing on during the election campaign, whenever it happens..

For me the Garda Commissioner issue is the one that they will definitely regret..

There is no moral high ground

Oh yes there is. We can guess at what might have happened had certain things been done. We don't have to guess at what happened when things were actually done.

• Advertisement

With the Gardai themselves having No Confidence in the Commissioner I think they'll be keeping his head down for a while and Helen's too. She's perilously close to being unsupportable IMO.

Irrelevant to Mary Lou's no confidence in him. I can't see how any wannabe Taoiseach can avoid having to express confidence in the sitting Garda Commissioner to be seriously considered for the role.

If she doesn't it's an instant crisis for government if they manage to get the numbers they need.

How is it 'irrelevant'?

The sitting government won't want too much scrutiny as all of the stuff around his position is in a state of flux.

I'd imagine MLMD will find a form of words to avoid any crisis. She is a politician after all.

Ah the jam on both sides of the bread argument

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I come back to the point that the general herd of SF TDs are terminally thick.

They have, at most a half dozen capable people.

Yet if they go into government some of these will become ministers. So the likely outcome is that they will come up with some daft ideas, the civil servants will delay and obfuscate, Miniature Mickey or whoever will refer to the Supreme Court and we will have a couple of years of nothing being done as foreign investment and the talent pool of workers seek pastures new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

I’d argue every single party currently in the Dail is the exact same. Half a dozen capable and the rest just drones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I’d imagine they will be decommissioning a few more of their current pool of TDs before the election. You don’t expect every backbencher sort to be Mensa material, but they’ve got some borderline vegetables in the ranks at the moment.

No, on one side of the bread you have guesswork about what might have happened and on the other side the tragedy of what was actually done by parties of this state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

FF and FG in their respective times built the economy from nothing to what we enjoy today.

Let's use Greece to compare, because their political and economic pathway, as delivered by Syriza, was heavily promoted by SF in the last decade or more. In 1992 Ireland's economy was total €55 billion. Greece was almost double at €116 billion

By 2008 pre the International Financial Crisis (which melted the Global economy not just in Ireland- there was about 4.2 trillion wiped off the world GDP) Ireland stood at 270 billion and Greece was at 350. Ireland's rate of growth in the intervening time was closing the GDP gap but Greece remained a significantly larger economy

From 2008-2012 Ireland lost 50 billion in GDP terms and Greece lost €120 billion

Since 2012 Ireland has gained 304 billion in GDP while Greece has stagnated and lost another 22 billion in total GDP.

It would be fair to conclude that while Ireland did suffer a major setback during 2008 to 2011 it has recovered better than Greece. That has been delivered by FG and FF policies- when SF, Labour and the rest cried about the imposition of necessary short term measures for longer term stability, the grown-ups went ahead and sorted the situation for the benefit of the state but the cost of their popularity. True service.

Ireland's economy was less than 0.2% of the world's GDP in 1992 and now its nearly 0.6%. FF didn't crash the economy, they and FG built everything you take for granted.

As for Greece, remember when the Syriza Finance Minister Euclid Tsakaltos got a standing ovation at the SF Ard Fheis in 2015? SF wanted us all to follow the radical Greek policy model and fu*k the EU. How did all that work out? Are Syriza due a return visit in 2024?

Now, do we want to talk about Venezuala's Maduro, that other international hero of SF? 7.3 million people had to flee that particular economic and social catastrophe.

FF have had their moments, but the facts say they've done ok.

So FF and FG are allowed the latitude to learn from tragic mistakes and get to try again, others are not allowed a chance at all because they might do something bad?

Please don't try to water down the way we recovered and who paid the highest price in that recovery.

If you look at that full in the face you might figure out why FF and FG are where they are in the polls.

NO.... on one side of the bread you have you saying FF wrecked the Economy ignoring SF's complicity

On the other you have the pretence any opposition party had a solution at the time or didn't promote things that would have made it a hell of a lot worse

Jam on both sides of your bread and typically heaps of straw in your strawman

No pureza. You have taken the position that the economy was wrecked by the bank guarantee.

The economy was so wrecked a bank guarantee was deemed necessary.

FF were in government when the economy was driven off the cliff. FG were the opposition. Fact.

The economy has grown by 250 billion net since 2007, effectively doubling in size. The 2008-2010 crisis is incorporated into that total figure and cost 50 billion. The economic gains have been 5 times larger than the scale of the losses in 2008-2010. Those are the facts.

If you claim that the losses in 2008-2010 crisis were like being 'driven off a cliff', then which cliche would you use to describe the subsequent recovery that has been 5-6 times larger? Scaling Everest?

I'll take that silence on Syriza and Maduro as a 'please move on, I don't want to talk about that stuff'

I doubt you will get answers to this, apart from cliche, snippets and excuses it very quickly stops the conversation.

Like on another thread someone is talking about Pearse and Sinn Fein declaring that if they get into government they will stop all construction outside of houses and move the workers into the housing construction.

Sounds great doesn't it? except it would be a disaster. First for all the skilled workers in the construction industry who are skilled to build office spaces etc and these skills are not transferable. So they would be left on the unemployment or would have to try reskill?

Plus how long would this ban last? if 12 months would everyone sit on unemployment and then just start back into office/hotels etc?

Would this not just drive up the cost of hotels and office space? making companies go bust? what happens those people who work in that industry? they have a house they can buy but no job to work in.

It's another example of the complete drivel coming from Sinn fein

• Advertisement

The recovery that cost us all hugely.

A recovery that wouldn't have been needed had a government not driven us off that cliff.

That is the FF record here.

Nothing extinguishes that. We were all in the recovery together.(how is that for a cliche?..think it comes from FF or FG)

Do SF want to go that route now? I wouldn't think so.

Parties evolve. I don't believe FF would make the same mistake again and be cheerled by FG...but anything is possible. The fact remains though, SF talked about stuff, FF actually did stuff that wrecked us.

Quite clear those are 'things' you want to gloss over too.

Pearse Doherty doesn't have the intellectual horsepower for the finance role. Simple as that. I certainly wouldn't treat academic qualifications as any guarantee of capacity, but at the same time the chief architect of the state's economic policy needs some level of education beyond two years drawing in Letterkenny.

Carthy is in the same boat, a street fighter politician with the soundbites to impress at first, but with an understanding that is shallower than a Bragan grave.

When Eoin O Broin is rolled as your policy heavyweight, it is not good. You need more than glasses, a clipped accent and a few self-published books to cut it Eoin.

I think it might be easier to pick out the good ones in Sinn Fein instead of listing the bad ones. I will come back to you when I find the good one

It'll have to be a world class " form of words" for it not too look like a major u turn if she suddenly regains confidence in the Commissioner...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I wouldn't be too quick to use Irish GDP figures to prove anything beyond the fact that quite a lot of large companies with offices here are doing well for themselves and funneling most of that money straight out of the country. A happy by-product of that are the good paying jobs that they provide and the taxation revenue but those are a fraction of the headline GDP figures.

It was called the Global Financial Collapse of 2008, bud. Ireland's economy dropped by 50bn, Sweden by 90bn, Spain by 300bn, Austria, Finland and Belgium by 30-40bn each. True Ireland was hit relatively hard, but the effects were proportionally greater in open economies at the time. The UK for instance took a 500bn hit.

It is simply false to present the situation as one that was unique to Ireland, or driven by the largesse of an out-of-control government. True the dependence on stamp duty was a significant mistake. Richard Bruton was a lone voice pointing this out in 2005 and 2006, however at that time every budget was met with calls from Sinn Fein for even more spending and erosion of the tax base. Go back and read the Dail debates from the time- if as you say the country was being driven over a cliff O'Caolain and SF wanted to put the foot on the accelerator.

The point however, is that Ireland's economy recovered better than most because FF and FG knuckled down and took nigh-on-impossible political decisions at their own electoral expense. Similar policies in other countries have led to adverse outcomes for those parties who did what was needed. Rory Stewart in his excellent lecture Populism- Aristotle and Hope characterizes this as being one of the main drivers of a growth in populism in previously centrist countries.

Contrast this with the alternative Syriza/SF ideas that were floated at the time, and still get a hearing. They led to very bad outcomes for people, far beyond the admitted difficulties seen here 10 years ago. The country is flying, despite the issues. Thank FF and FG.

Ideas v Actions Finty.

One is abstract the other sadly the lived experience. Reflected in FF polling still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The recovery that would have been even more costly if Sinn Feins calls for even further narrowing of the tax base prior to the crisis had been implemented. They are up to the same nonsense again now with the populist nonsense of scrapping USC and massively narrowing the tax bracket to a state similar to where we were in 2008 which would leave us once again wide open to impacts from an external crisis we have no control over.

FF are absolutely responsible in part but nobody could have stopped the impact of the global crisis on us so trying to suggest the sole responsibility of the crisis be laid at FFs feet is completely delusional and i'm someone who never voted for them prior and don't plan on ever doing so in future.

Advertisement