Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European Super League - plans announced

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I was initially wary of this concept when it was first flouted but considering how awful the planned new CL changes look, and also the hypocrisy of Neville and co. for not kicking up a similar stink about the Saudis buying Newcastle, now I'm more receptive to the idea. Not sure at this stage whether the idea is still a goer, or is it more of a case of using the threat of it as a power play.

The new CL format is horrible alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's back on..

European Super League set to be revived to halt English dominance

Top flight ‘outgunning all continental leagues’

New plans to relaunch the European Super League within three years have been revealed because of fears that English clubs have become too dominant.

A new dossier outlining a revived competition has warned that the Premier League is leaving its continental rivals behind.

The presentation, which has been seen by The Times, has been sent to clubs and says that England’s top flight “is outgunning all continental leagues” and that the Champions League “is increasingly dominated by English clubs” who are “backed by hedge funds, public investment funds, sheikhs, oligarchs”.

The company behind the failed launch of the European Super League (ESL) in April 2021 has appointed a new chief executive, Bernd Reichart, who claims it is expected to be re-launched within the next three years. Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Juventus are backing the company, A22 Sports Management, and are involved in legal action against Uefa.

England’s big six clubs prompted the collapse of the ESL after pulling out following widespread fan anger and it is broadly accepted that English clubs are needed to make a Super League work. However, the latest dossier makes clear that A22 and the three continental giants view the Premier League as their biggest problem and want to reclaim their old financial dominance..........................

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Only a matter of time. They might even start without the English and then they’ll join a year or two later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

If one of the core reasons is that the English clubs are becoming too powerful (who are the European Champions?) then what is in it for the English clubs to join? Money, yeah, but they are giving up prestige and power to share it with the other European clubs.

Given the negative reaction in England the last time, the better approach would be to stay out for the first few years and then join if/when it starts to take off. No way the other clubs would stop the English clubs from joining

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Let it kick off, Sky get the broadcast rights and Gary Neville will be quiet about it

That is a very good point. What are Sky going to do in relation to broadcast rights? They can't simply sit by and watch the Superleague take a chunk out of the EPL pot. Would they look to get rights from the start, thereby effectively screwing the EPL? Or do they stand with the EPL hoping that the SL doesn't work and/or the English clubs don't get involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Think they'd just sit tight for a while anyway. For the first few years at least, it's a bigger conflict for rights holders of the Champions League and La Liga - none of which they have. Until any PL clubs joined, I don't think it would affect Sky's market, as PL fans will watch the PL regardless, so long as their teams are in it. There's enough of a wait before the possibility of English teams leaving the Premier League, that Sky have time to see how things are shaping up.

I wouldn't be surprised if a new Super League didn't go in for any of the traditional rights models anyway - would nearly expect them to simply set up their own digital platform and sell the games direct to the customer. Or maybe team up with 1 long term partner, like Amazon, and use their existing infrastructure to host everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Barca must be behind this!! To stop their looming bankruptcy.

And perhaps Juve too. Talk they are struggling badly too financially.

I mean, they're all behind it for that reason. All the Spanish and Italian clubs are simply unable to keep up with the market inflation.

After Barca's big spend over the summer, the next highest net spend in La Liga was Atleti with 19 million. That that was the second biggest spend out of the whole league really shows the disparity in football now.

• Advertisement

The thing is the majority of players still want to play in Spain and will pick Madrid or Barca over an English club 9 times out of 10.

The Spanish club still pay crazy wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Sky were happy to pass on the CL rights to BT as there were not even subscribers anymore, and not enough to cover the high cost of paying for the rights.

It will be interesting to see their reaction to this if it does rise up again, and if they will try acquire the rights. There was a lot of soapboxing last time out, but there was an underlying reason in that they were only trying to protect their own product on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The english clubs would be fools to sign up to the ESL again, all it does is remove the financial advantage the EPL has and makes Barca, Madrid top dogs again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bring it on. The PL has become a de facto Super League as it is.

"Nottingham Forest's net spend of €160 million was more than the whole of Serie A, La Liga, the Bundesliga and Ligue 1 (a total of 78 clubs) combined."

Is that true?

I know they went buck mad, but find it hard to believe that stat.

Sure Madrid spent £80m sterling on Tchouameni alone. Surely the other 77 clubs must have spent another 80mill between them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Ah right , net spend.

And sure Barca spent a lot too, didn't they, or where they all frees?

Madrid made a £9m profit this summer helped by Casamero going to Man U.

Barca's net spend was £106m

Munich net spend was £30m

PSG net spend was £83m

AC Milan net spend was £32m

So there is the top club from each league combined a lot more than Forest.

Those clubs would also be paying a lot higher wages than Forest

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

The major flaw with the proposal last time was that it was going to be a closed shop with no relegation or possible way to get promoted into it. It was galling for traditional big clubs around Europe to see a club like Spurs in particular who hardly ever win anything ensconced in that set up with the drawbridge pulled up.

If they had a proposal to have a couple of tiered divisions and potential for promotion and relegation into it from domestic leagues then it’d be a recognisable development where changes are inevitable sooner or later. No relegation or promotion cuts it off from the rest of the game. Has the proposal been modified in that regard?

The English clubs have the whip hand at the moment but they won’t want to be out of European football either. They might play hard ball for a bit but will join in when it starts.

I’m guessing the statement includes all the net profits too, which is fair, given the statement is that Forrests net spend is higher than those leagues net spends combined - so the cumulative spending in La Liga, Serie A, Ligue Un etc, minus the cumulative income, rather than only including teams that made a loss and ignoring the profits. (Madrid’s 9m profit being removed from barcas 106m spend as an example)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

English fans made very clear they didn't want their clubs involved last time, and the clubs pulled out quickly in response.

German fans would be of a similar mindset, and none of them were involved in the original attempt.

PSG also weren't involved (or any other French teams).

So we're looking at a bunch of Spanish and Italian clubs? Mabe some Portuguese/Dutch?

I accept the dominance of the EPL is a problem, and the new format of the CL is awful, but I don't see how this works.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

English fans made very clear they didn't want their clubs involved last time, and the clubs pulled out quickly in response.

That's not exactly the case.

The Super League was a power play between UEFA and the top clubs.

It's no surprise that it was announced the evening before UEFA were due to announce their revamped CL.

The clubs backed down because they got a better deal from UEFA.

The details of which are mentioned in this thread at the time.

The fan outrage was just that, outrage, it had little or no no bearing how it panned out.

John Barnes articulated it very well at the time, a link to which is also in this thread somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Guess what reared its ugly head again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

Ultimately this new plan still has the fundamental flaw of giving the power to a handful of clubs at the top. It would be very easy to recruit clubs from 'smaller leagues' and eventually down the clubs in control can cut them out of the Pyramid entirely.

They will still work towards the ultimate goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Same sh1t sandwich now in a fancier wrapper, and they’re shocked no one wants to take a bite?

Glazers Out!

Those extra clubs they graciously added would be stupid to accept.

They wouldn't long be getting shafted. Will probably have a tiered system where D1 can't get kicked out so it will only be lower teams getting replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It's just a move to get the league up and running. Once they have that it will slowly (or not so slowly) move back towards what they originally wanted.

The second this becomes reality it will be a ticking time clock until the big sides leave for it full time.

This will happen at some point.

They are just laying the foundations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sooner rather than later i'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

This is just going to accelerate the process.

Anyone interested in looking for a better deal (and that doesn't necessarily mean the bigger teams) can enter into discussions on their own.

I can see UEFA/FIFA trying to enforce some kind of exclusivity agreement, i.e. to play in their tournaments, you have to agree to only play in competitions organised by FIFA, UEFA or national FAs and it'll fall flat on its face.

This is a big win for Super League proponents. They still have to win over the public but plenty of clubs will be happy to take the money while spinning some fanciful justification for their fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I thikn it'll become like the golf, you'll get clubs dropping out domestically to play in this and then some agreement oo some sort will come in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

I was just thinking. Some contracts already have release clauses in them.

What's to stop UEFA issuing a directive saying that any player that signs a contract with a UEFA affiliated club has to have in their contract a clause that if the player is being sold to a club participating in a rival non-UEFA affiliated competition, a release clause fee of €500m has to be paid (the distribution of the fee to be split between UEFA for prize money, the club, and the clubs domestic league)?

From my understanding of the ruling, they can't prevent a rival league/association, but they can protect their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Your second paragraph sounds like a total breach of workers' freedom of movement rights, so I couldn't see the EU agreeing to it.

But that situation already exists via release clauses and transfer fees,

Nobody would be stopping the player from moving to a Super League club within the terms of their current contract so long as the appropriate compensation, whether it's a transfer fee or release clause, is met. After all, that's the way it currently is in soccer.

All UEFA would be doing is setting a minimum transfer fee/release clause, albeit very expensive, from which it's affiliated clubs are to work from in releasing that player to a non-UEFA competition. UEFA would simply be working within the current framework of current soccer contract practices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Players and clubs currently may mutually agree to release clauses in individual contracts. But you are suggesting making it compulsory for all players which is surely a no-no, and setting it at €500M so that if say Jack Byrne wishes to move from Shamrock Rovers to FC Lyons it can't happen unless €500M is paid. That is such an unreasonable amount of money vis-a-vis his ability that it would limit his freedom-of-movement/working-rights.

And I think you are suggesting that a UEFA-affiliated club wouldn't have to pay such a fee. Doesn't that literally go against the spirit, if not the actual letter, of todays ruling?

I'm not sure that it does.

I think the ruling today was merely saying that EUFA and FIFA can't act to prevent an alternative option. It didn't mention anything about existing contract law in football. And seeing as transfer fees and release clauses exist, there's no reason why another one can't be inputted as part of standard transfer policy.

You're probably right, there's probably some part of EU contract law that prevents it.

But it's a question at the very least that UEFA should be asking if it's possible. I just think with term contracts, transfer fees and release clauses already in place, it might actually be possible, because while it may be self-protecting, technically speaking it's not preventing an alternative association or league doing anything for themselves (which is what today's ruling was about), sourcing players and paying transfer fees/release clauses, it would only be UEFA laying down a rule for it's own member clubs.

The difference is that release clauses as they currently exist aren’t stating the minimum that must be paid - they’re stating the absolute maximum that can be paid for the player. Players move for less than their release clause all the time. What you’re proposing would be the exact opposite of current release clauses, setting a price floor rather than a price ceiling, which would be totally against the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

1. The leagues who have not got a pot to piss in are supporting it.

2. There is already too much soccer being played already.

3. Free TV ? How would that work.From oil countries ? Look at them. 600 spectators at matches.

So, is it proposed to essentially replace the Champions League?

Protecting domestic leagues is the only way this will ever go ahead.

Even then, I will think it's a very hard sell to English fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

This is great news if it leads to a Super League. The argument for “historical value of leagues etc etc” nonsense is just sentimentality. The European Super League is going to exist (already does in a sense with the ECL and also the EPL). This will be great entertainemnt. From afar (on both sides) it looks kind of like the NFL model and that’s very successful.

I for one welcome our new European Super League overlords.

Until thier teams run out of money/decent players (if) then they’ll be ready to jump on board like everyone else.

Clubs are businesses and the people running them are businessmen. They want to guarantee a return in thier investment and if they eee the best way to do that is a Super Lesgue then I don’t see the problem with that.

Will you be saying that if Chelsea are in the junior B silver or bronze league, because that's the level they are probably currently at..

It doesn't matter what you think though. I guarantee fans will protest if this goes ahead, if the domestic leagues are affected.

Yep. You can’t stop the wheels of progress. If that’s thier level then that’s their level.

Response to post above - Chelsea level I mean.

Well, that’s the point - it doesn’t matter what anyone thinks (to the club investors) if the Super League guaruntees a return on investment.

I still don't see what is in this for the EPL clubs. They are already massively ahead of their French, German etc leagues in terms of TV money. This seems to give those clubs a massive lifeline to level the playing field with the likes of Liverpool and others in the EPL

There is nothing in this for PL clubs, all it will do is make Real and Barca by far and away the richest clubs.

UEFA need there legs cut off but SL is not the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

"Strict financial rules to ensure a level playing field"? Why would clubs agree to this when they have the most spending power in their own leagues? Would this not handicap them domestically?

There isnt a prayer of Man City taking part anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement