Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

Sunset overdrive really is underrated and a great example of how good and creative they can be. Traversal in that was an absolute joy when got right

• Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Traversal needed the first unlock to be useful but that didn't take long to get. The movement was brilliant and the weapons were fun to use. The characters were bonkers as well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

How the hell did Insomniac have her card details

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Doubt it was "Insomniac" per se, she might have just stored it in a file or perhaps she'd emailed someone with it.

The other possibility is that insomniac has an employee store, and she had her details in there.

It goes to show how damaging a hack like this can be, as people put their entire online life on these machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Would say it's either a coincidence, or they got enough personal information to fish out the rest from other sources. Could also have been attempts to get new cards or anything else suspicious rather than just trying to use card to buy something odd.

Also plenty of people makes jumps when stuff like this happens, how many random on this forum post about <insert game company> getting hacked after their account gets stolen when it's likely they just used the same password on everything and no 2step.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

To be honest the most shocking thing to come out of this hack is that Gravity Rush 2 didn't hit 400k copies while you're all talking about days gone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

In a very unsurprising turn of events, Bobby Kotick is out of ABK. Was always going to be the case, despite a few saying that MS wouldn't get rid of him.

Unfortunately, he leaves a hell of a lot richer than he was 3 years ago, but that's the nature of the beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

He left a goodbye note as of entire cares to hear from him. He should have been dragged from that company, not step down on his own terms after a big bag of money handed to him from MS acquisition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

From the leak they made $567 from that game. Not 567 mill. $567, after selling 1.8 million units.

Shows how insanely risky it is to make games and take chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Just before the list of Epstein clients is about to be released 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Apparently so, cost 42 mill to make and made 49mill. But because it was co developed the costs got split, they ended up making just a few hundred dollars.

I'm guessing as it was Xbox exclusive there may have been some kind of upfront payment that would not be "from sales" that might derisk it a bit.

But it shows how just one AAA miss can kill a studio. It's no wonder they are reluctant to try new IP and keep going back for sequels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I saw one of the slides that specifically pointed out that Days Gone outsold Spiderman Remastered on Steam. It looked to me like "**** sake lads, how did Deek and Boozeman outsell us???!!"

Apparently there's a fully playable build of Wolverine floating around for PC. Obviously it's pre alpha build and will most likely look and play horribly but it's mental the full game is out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

They must be tempted to change some of the major story beats now. I've avoided all that so far. Not because I don't want the game spoiled for me, I'd just rather not give the clicks to sites trying to profit of the entire attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I wonder how much technical work is required for Wolverine ... they pretty much have the game engine nailed now after Spiderman 2.

I'd say they are in Pixar like animation stages now, with little technical work to do and they could technically churn out a load of superhero games.

Sony paying 120 million for each of the upcoming 3 games.

Technical stuff like tweaking the game, getting the tech right etc. takes by far the longest to do. Having an engine lets you get stuff up and running easily but nailing the design and game feel as well as the tech and visuals takes by far the longest.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Remember how Half Life 2 leaked all those years ago. Think was the biggest gaming leak at the time.

I think they need to use a different term than "leak". This isn't like a dev saying something about the project. This is someone stealing the details and posting freely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Tbh they should be blackballing any publication that is explicitly reporting on details from the stolen materials. As you said this isn't an incidental leak of information due to loose lips or a dev putting embargoed work details on LinkedIn.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I saw this being debated in the EG comments when they reported on the leak. It depends what you mean by 'explicitly reporting'.

IMO simply reporting that particular things were leaked - like Wolverine plot details or plans for future Marvel games - is legitimately newsworthy and gives important context. It'll be up to each individual publication where to draw the line there in terms of details, but IMO when the info is out there being widely discussed it becomes news-worthy regardless of the source.

Given the context, though, actually sharing the stolen assets or detailed info is much more ethically questionable. A news site plastering plot details or images / videos all over the place is not cool, IMO. But reporting in broad terms on the content of the leak is news.

As long as it's handled ethically then there's no reason that a leak shouldn't be reported on and honestly reporting on leaks is journalism. I feel that the marketing departments that have their marketing plans ruined overreact in these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

It's not a leak though, it's theft. It's pretty unethical to profit from crime in a way that only helps serve the cause of the criminals as it inflicts further damage that they can point to with the next victims they try to hold to ransom.

I'm sorry but that's like saying the sunday world can't profit from reporting on theft or crime. As I said as long as it's ethical, as in reporting there was a leak and info from it that's been made freely available while not treading into asset theft then all is good. There's nothing wrong with reporting on story and spoiling it either but again I'm sure they will work with the publishers and not be assholes.

Game journalists shouldn't just be mouth pieces for publisher marketing departments. Nothing wrong with reporting on these leaks and in fact journalistic integrity usually demands that they do in an ethical way. Once this stuff is out in the public domain it's a free for all anyway, and if they don't report on it they risk missing out on the scoop to a competitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

The teen hacker who leaked footage of Rockstar Games Inc.'s upcoming Grand Theft Auto VI installment and hacked into technology firm Nvidia Corp. was placed in a secure hospital by a British judge.

Arion Kurtaj, 18, and a 17-year-old male, who can't be identified, were convicted of being part of the notorious hacking group Lapsus$. They were found guilty of serious computer misuse, blackmail and fraud against BT Group Plc.'s EE network and Nvidia in August after a seven-week criminal trial.

Kurtaj was also found to have hacked into Uber Technologies Inc., fintech firm Revolut Ltd., and Rockstar Games.

Judge Patricia Lees ruled Kurtaj should be placed in a secure hospital until a mental health tribunal decides he can leave in the future. Lees found Kurtaj was still fixated with hacking and likely to offend again.

The jury was told that while he was on bail for hacking Nvidia and BT/EE and in police protection at a Travelodge hotel, he continued hacking and carried out his most infamous hack.

Despite having his laptop confiscated, Kurtaj managed to breach Rockstar, the company behind GTA, using an Amazon Firestick, his hotel TV and a mobile phone.

Kurtaj was previously found unfit to stand a traditional trial because of his complex autistic-spectrum disorder.

Kurtaj remained "a high risk of serious harm to the public through skill in gaining unfettered access to computers," Lees said at Guildford Crown Court on Thursday. She said there was also a risk of online hackers enticing him into further crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Fascinating

There is a movie to be made about this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Sony are bringing PS+ to PC, TVs and devices according to the leaks.

Xbox need to get the finger out. Sony will destroy them in the subscription market if they start taking it seriously.

During the recent FTV court cases, I believe that this was one of MSs points, they're only ahead in subscription services because Sony hasn't decided to compete in it yet. Not much that they can do either, to be honest, with the biggest impediment to Sony replicating Game Pass being the fact that it'd wreck havoc upon their current business model, premium single player experiences. Considering their live service push though, changing their business model may be something that they're trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

You'd think people with that particular talent could stroll into a lucrative cyber-security gig or something similar rather than basically trolling.

As for the Wolverine stuff, I saw some grainy screenshots and him stealth perched on a cable/power line. That made my eyes roll. I'm not overly familiar with Wolverine but he didn't strike me as Arkham Batman or Spiderman type. I would've guessed he'd be more hefty, with bruising combat à la Kratos.

• Advertisement

They're just kids. Wouldn't get employment at that age with that much responsibility and the hack being a bit, immature there's good reason not to.

If they get themselves a good computer science degree or set up their own business it might help them out.

I just wish these hackers went after corrupt politicians and oligarchs rather than entertainment.

Advertisement