Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭JPCN1

An office block in Blackrock is being converted to take in up to 350.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

same rubbish over and over.

do you suggest zero immigration into Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fearne123

I am sorry Cluedo, but I don’t really understand your question?

What do doctors and nurses have to do with criminal offenders from outside of Ireland?

Why wouldn’t we welcome professional ppl who aren’t criminal offenders and clearly needed in Ireland?

A good few other countries also have a shortage of nurses and doctors etc. and wouldn’t care where they come from.

But I seriously doubt that criminal offenders are very welcome in any country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Yes if they apply and come through the proper channels then yes of course.

If they are involved in a criminal act then they should be deported.

Unfortuately we cant deport irish born criminals.

I mean does it need to be stickied on the top of every page that basically everyone bar a few hundred far right idiots is happy with people who come here legally, contribute and don't commit criminal acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Of course we will. Controlled migration. You take in people who have the skill set the country needs and this means they add and become an addition to society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

My assumption was that you are suggesting immigrants become criminals when they arrive in Ireland. Not that they have a criminal past. Both are possible but some people believe immigrants are more predetermined to become criminals. I don't believe that.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ehh did you notice I put immigrants in quotes.

I know damn well that real immigrants to this country are not criminals and contribute to this country rather than ask the country to feed them, medicate them, educate them and provide a roof over their head.

Think of them much like Irish emigrants who went elsewhere and worked hard for anything they got.

I have said many times here I don't see asylum seekers, international protection seekers and refugees as real immigrants like those that have a right to move here either through EU citizenship or VISAs.

And the ones that are real doctors, nurses, engineers, etc don't have to chance their arms with spoof stories claiming asylum, or lose their identification, in order to get into Ireland.

I continously refuse to lump the chancers, the asylum seekers, etc in with legitimate immigrants and if you look at my posts you will always see that distinction.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

Have a little look at Swedens gang wars n come back to us, ta

Probably written by the editor! They backed the wrong horse with endless pro refugee stuff, hopefully their sales nosedive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A government funded agency is taking the government to court.

I understand Cluedo, but no, I certainly would not say or suggest that.

However, given the fact that a lot of new arrivals get into Ireland without proper documentation and/or background checks, the chances that there will be “bad eggs” amongst them are certainly there.

At least the majority of Irish criminals are known to the guards already, after their first offences.

But we don’t know about previous offences from ppl outside of Europe without proper documentation- how could we?

As to the known criminal offenders who were born outside of Ireland: I would agree to deport them back to their homeland, after serving whatever sentence they get.

I also would like the Irish government to deport failed asylum seekers.

But, in order to not be misunderstood again, I have to add that I for example also dislike when some Irish ppl overstay on a visa after it expires. They should be made to leave the country they overstay in, immediately too.

Rules are rules after all.

Adults look at Sweden, molenbeek, french suburbs etc n see how they got on filling their boots with refugees.

Clowns repeat it here

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah, bit of a brass neck moaning about refugees here while we campaign to have our own illegal immigrants in the US referred to as "undocumented " and want them to be allowed to stay with full recognition.

But we're not doing that here, we're spreading them out around the country.

You do know refugees here have been accepted as refugees? Either by a program to bring them here, or by having their claims allowed? What are your issues with refugees?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

Well maybe 'we' should stop campaigning to have 'our' illegal immigrants in the US get special advantages then? I'm not campaigning for it and L Varadkar and M Martin have my permission to stop campaigning as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

yeah makes sense. Also willy wonka tweeting the world with his white paper and big massive pot of magic beans telling all to come we’ll sort you out. So guess what? you reap what you sow.

So i wonder now what sort of exist strategy ff / fg are preparing themselves so that they can land the blame 100% for this at Rodericks door…

Hilarious- we're spreading them around the country.

Villages with a population of 300 getting 100 refugees dumped in the middle of the night. Best of luck to the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Folks it is no use trying to debate with some people because they are continually trying to twist things.

They would try make it out that ...

You don't want chancers with no documentation being allowed entry into and leave to stay in Ireland so you must be against all immigrants?

You don't want chancers that have been found to have bogus stories, that have spent years appealing (thanks to taxpayer funded legal and NGO leeches) initial recommendation so you must be against all immigrants.

You want chancers who have been found to have engaged in criminal activity in this country to be deported so you must be against all immigrants.

You don't want single strapping young Ukrainians moving here from other safe countries in Europe because there is social welfare and benefits equal to average wage in Ukraine so you must be totally against Ukrainian refugees like women and children.

You don't think huge numbers of single young men of dubious and unknown backgrounds more often than not with incompatible belief systems should be dumped into rural small communities so you must be against all immigrants.

Now have I forgotten anything.

Oh yeah you don't like some type of foreign food so you must be against all immigration.

I am not allowed discuss …

Probably be a plus, some of our skilled young people coming back. Be some difference to what we're taking in. I have to laugh when I hear about addressing the housing crisis, who the f#£k is going to build these houses. Alot of our young tradesmen have gone and looking at the infrastructure of the countries these migrants are leaving I Don't think we will get to many tradesmen. No houses but probably plenty of illegal taxis and phone shops. The country heading for some mess.

• Advertisement

There's between 10k - 50k Irish undocumented in the US, figures are disputed. What's the population of the US - 330 million, not much of an issue for them.

We had 100k+ refugees in 2 years, requiring welfare, housing, medical cards etc.

No such costs to the US government, comparing the 2 is laughable.

Nutshell!

Hell, even Leo was asked about asylum seekers recently n started talking about immigrants over here working in multinationals!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

If immigrants are not integrated and don't achieve the means to have a decent standard of living, they will always turn to crime. That's the key. We saw a lot of Polish people come to Ireland in the boom years. They integrated well and worked hard and became valued members of society. It's the economy stupid.

And I watched Top Boy twice innit fam!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

People stating that the two are comparisons are probably the same people who compare the Irish who emigrated for work years ago. They haven't a clue and it's embarrassing to hear someone trying to compare them. Then again they might not be Irish and might not understand, who knows.

Polish, Chinese, Filipino generally worked hard here, made a few quid n best of luck to them.

Roma and Africans have dreadful employment stats , had the very same opportunities as the above but only here for the free lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

”with incompatible belief systems” - that’s quite a statement. Are you suggesting that we should barr people entering the country on religious grounds.

Suvigirl, I think I more than suggested in my previous posts that I am not against immigration per se at all - only against the influx of undocumented, unchecked, mainly unskilled and of course criminal people.

Like a lot of countries outside of the EU, the EU also needs to have a list of requirements that need to be met by anyone from outside of the EU in order to enter the labour market here.

In all honesty, the EU doesn’t need more new welfare recipients, but ppl who contribute to western society and can adjust fully to the western way of living.

And most of all- those who pay income tax etc!

And each European country should be able to decide for themselves and according to their resources how many and who to welcome.

No country should be dictated by other countries or Brussels how many new people and who they’’ll have to “welcome”.

If the EU leaders can’t see this now, then my fear is, that there will be a pushback from the EU populace in a most unfortunate way.

Firstly our immigration policies are not dictated by Brussels. We are not even in schengen.

Secondly, you appear to have no issues with UK and EU immigration?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

With the recent surge in right of centre parties ( Netherlands, Germany, France, Italy) it is clear that resistance to open borders and uncontrolled immigration is growing.

However, Brussels will not just roll over and accept that public opinion is changing. They can, and will make things difficult for Wilders, Meloni &co.

The pressure will continue to build, but its got a long way to go yet. And Brussels hold the strongest cards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement