Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

An abhorrent act and undoubtedly will be investigated as a war crime

I am sure Israelis, and those who support them, would condemn this act unconditionally.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭volchitsa

How many Germans in Dresden voted for Hitler? They're not being bombed because they voted for Hamas, they're being bombed because Hamas used Gaza to launch a murderous attack on Israeli civilians, and has said they'll do it again and again.

If Gazans haven't risen against Hamas like the Arab Spring to stop them from keeping that promise, then Israel is legally entitled to go into Gaza to destroy Hamas. And if Hamas then uses Gazan citizens as human shields to protect its own soldiers from the IDF, that's Hamas' responsibility rather than Israel's.

"They're not being bombed because they voted for Hamas, they're being bombed because...."

I thought that was the general thrust of the argument? Gaza voted for Hamas so they deserve what's coming to them.

And I was under the impression that the military action is solely to target Hamas - not Gazans?

Perhaps just a slip of the keyboard

I can't speak for anyone else, but I haven't said that, and I also think that might be illegal under international law, as it would be punishing civilians for Hamas' actions.

What is legal is for the IDF to go after Hamas, and (within some very strict restrictions, which I can't say for sure that Israel has always followed - but neither can anyone here say for sure that they haven't), if civilians are killed, then that is tragic but it's what happens when civilians are in a war zone. Just like tens of thousands died under the Allied bombs dropped over Germany, or in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. And those aren't considered war crimes for the same reason that Israel dropped leaflets or phoned certain individuals to tell them to evacuate buildings before they attacked them - because they obeyed the criteria about warning civilians etc.

A "resistance organisation" that attacks children because of their ethnicity is a terrorist organisation committing war crimes.

There's a reason even the IRA gave warnings when they bombed civilian infrastructure, yet they were still defined as terrorists in Ireland - but you think a group that kidnapped a 9 month old baby is a "resistance" group?

They're not.

And "the Gazans" are not the Nazis in my analogy. Hamas are. And you're defending them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I've been to Cambodia too, and Palestine and other places where human rights have and are being been openly abused. People like SeanW clearly haven't been there nor have they interacted with people from these places, and have admitted it previously, and are just perpetuating stereotypes they have come across in whatever they have read online.

I can see it on their Facebook page.

edit: the UN Facebook page - see the bottom of the statement

Post edited by dmcdona on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Should be both sides but your attempts at edgy posts miss nuisances like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Hamas are terrorists. Not a "resistance organisation". What does beheading Thai workers have to do with resisting Israel? How about calling for Jews to be eradicated? Dismembering gay people? You're not even hiding your support for Hamas anymore. Gross

• Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I agree that more civilians will live if Israel after to a cease-fire.

but Hamas will still hold Israeli hostages and will still fire rockets into Israel and have already stated that they will attack Israel again just like Oct 7th.

So how does calling on Israel to agree to a ceasefire make sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Ya damn those pesky people for not standing up to their murderous leaders. There were protests against Hamas in Gaza a few months ago btw.

You can put it on Hamas all you want but a blind person can see at this stage the indiscriminate carnage Israel is unleashing on Gaza.

Well, I would agree, but it seems all calls for a cease-fire, are appealing to Israeli forces

Absolutely - if it's true.

Unlike Hamas, where posters on here are calling them a resistance organisation, ie defending people who deliberately murdered babies on ethnic grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

Dresden was bombed for one reason, and one reason only. Revenge for Hitlers indiscriminate bombing of London (and other English cities.) It was to give Germans a taste of their own medicine, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

actually no, they are being bombed because israel is a genocidal terrorist expansionist state who want to ethnically cleanse the gazans so as to take the territory of gaza for itself.

israel wants as much territory it can take and will not stop until it gets what territory it wants.

it is israel's responsibility if civilians are killed as israel generally deliberately target civilians as a matter of policy, regardless of whether hamas is there or not.

hamas is israel's creation so israel has no intention of destroying hamas, not that it can anyway, because hamas being around serves it's interest.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Wow, a group who rape, burn alive,murder, torture and dismember people because of their religion or sexual orientation don't even make a 5/10 on your evil scale? You're losing the run of yourself. Why don't you go off to Gaza and fight for the cause if you care so much?

Also "beserk madness and slaughter of children" literally describes what Hamas did on October 7, not Israel.

I know nothing about reliefweb, but I do know that the UN has a terrible record of rape of the very women it was supposed to be helping, as well as blocking staff who tried to investigate the fact that the UN was bringing cholera to Haiti, where cholera had never been present before (Haiti had been spared very little in its history, but it hadn't had cholera before that - with the results on a previously unexposed population in poor conditions that one can imagine), and the UN was ignoring the harm it knew it was doing.

https://digitalcommons.wcl.american.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1909&context=hrbrief

Whatever about them after WW2, I'm very dubious about the UN today.

Yes, I think a better case can be made for Dresden to he declared a war crime than the bombing of Gaza by Israel post Oct 7th.

But, the Jews, apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

israel generally don't drop lieflets or phone anyone or give any warnings and this is a matter of policy.

they only did so once for propaganda purposes.

the only reason the dropping of the atomic bombs for experimental purposes is not considered a war crime is because the victors decided it wasn't, the same as the bombing of dresden.

if the victors decide a war crime is not a war crime even when it is, then it's not a war crime, which is illogical but that is how it is unfortunately.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

In my original post, as you quoted it, I did say you didn't say that. Then I edited it and that bit got deleted. So I apologise if I misrepresented your position. That was not my intention.

I'm not sure if I'm reading you right - WWII bombings were not covered by war crimes legislation because leaflets were dropped, ergo Israeli bombings are the same - ie legitimate?

i also think others here posted that WWII bombings were not war crimes because they predated the legislation?

Nah, they've been doing it for years, along with (a little later) the practice of "roof-knocking", where they drop a low explosive charge on the roof of a building where their intelligence says there is a senior Hamas member or else a weapons cache etc, before an air strike:

As early as 2006 the IDF had the practice of warning the inhabitants of a building that was about to be attacked.[14] Roof knocking was used during the 2008–2009 Gaza WarOperation Pillar of Defense in 2012, and Operation Protective Edge in 2014. In the six months prior to its use, Israel collected data on Hamas members, which they used to issue warnings.[7] 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roof_knocking

And this is the Irish republicans view of the Israeli state.

i think the "not hiding your support..." statement is reading more into the post than was stated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Ah of course, for the thousands of dead women and children, the tens of thousand injured, homeless, starving and sick, it's their own fault for not overthrowing a terrorist dictatorship, or for voting for them in the first place back in 2006.

The depths which people sink to, to defend such barbarity is shameful, hiding behind history from 80 years ago or a thin veneer of 'legality' while they wilfully ignore the illegal settlements, ethnic cleansing and flat out murder of people surrendering with a white flag

No worries about the misquoting. It happens.

About the air strikes, it's a bit more complicated than just dropping leaflets. That's why I mentioned other requirements: there are a number of criteria, such as whether other, less deadly, means could be used to achieve the same (legitimate) military aim. That's what "proportionate" means in the context of civilian deaths, and not "an equivalent number of deaths", as many posters on here seem to think.

There's no point in us discussing the detail of that though, because none of us have the necessary information. But the IDF have independent legal teams whose job it is to go over planned military actions and ensure that they are legal. And if the independent legal team believes that they are not legal, they normally have to power to override the military men: no contentious order is supposed to be given without their agreement. That's why I'm fairly sure that the airstrikes, however horrendous they are in the numbers of deaths caused (and they are tragic) will not be found to have been war crimes. No Nuremberg trials for Israel.

(Note that this obviously doesn't prevent an individual or a team on the ground going rogue - it just means that illegal orders will not be given to soldiers from their hierarchy in Israel.)

Concerning WW2 actions, no, that's not why the Allied actions weren't judged illegal. Obviously, being the victors helped, as well as having the concentration camps to point to as a reason for continuing the bombing right up until they surrendered, but basically the question about Dresden is whether it was still needed at that stage because the Germans were already effectively defeated. As they had not yet surrendered though, it's not entirely clear that they would have surrendered as soon without it. Hindsight is always handy.

I certainly agree that the terms of any ceasefire should include unequivocal release of hostages and a complete cessation of all hostilities.

A ceasefire (as the UN is debating) would not be one sided. It would have to be agreed by all parties (others than Hamas may be conducting hostilities and firing rockets - I'm not sure). It should also lay down the strict terms on what is considered a breach (by all parties) and the consequences of such breaches.

I certainly was not saying a ceasefire for Israel only. That would not be equitable.

im not an expert on military law but I always thought a ceasefire was an agreement between/amongst warring parties. If it applied to only one party, I think that might be a forced surrender? That is certainly not what my original question was about.

• Advertisement

I agree, but what people have been marching for in London and elsewhere is a unilateral ceasefire, ie for Israel to stop. Hamas have already said they will continue more Al Aqsa Flood operations (Oct 7th) until Israel no longer exists.

Advertisement