Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Well, I would agree, but it seems all calls for a cease-fire, are appealing to Israeli forces

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭dmcdona

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Absolutely - if it's true.

Unlike Hamas, where posters on here are calling them a resistance organisation, ie defending people who deliberately murdered babies on ethnic grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭jmreire

Dresden was bombed for one reason, and one reason only. Revenge for Hitlers indiscriminate bombing of London (and other English cities.) It was to give Germans a taste of their own medicine, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

actually no, they are being bombed because israel is a genocidal terrorist expansionist state who want to ethnically cleanse the gazans so as to take the territory of gaza for itself.

israel wants as much territory it can take and will not stop until it gets what territory it wants.

it is israel's responsibility if civilians are killed as israel generally deliberately target civilians as a matter of policy, regardless of whether hamas is there or not.

hamas is israel's creation so israel has no intention of destroying hamas, not that it can anyway, because hamas being around serves it's interest.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Wow, a group who rape, burn alive,murder, torture and dismember people because of their religion or sexual orientation don't even make a 5/10 on your evil scale? You're losing the run of yourself. Why don't you go off to Gaza and fight for the cause if you care so much?

Also "beserk madness and slaughter of children" literally describes what Hamas did on October 7, not Israel.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I know nothing about reliefweb, but I do know that the UN has a terrible record of rape of the very women it was supposed to be helping, as well as blocking staff who tried to investigate the fact that the UN was bringing cholera to Haiti, where cholera had never been present before (Haiti had been spared very little in its history, but it hadn't had cholera before that - with the results on a previously unexposed population in poor conditions that one can imagine), and the UN was ignoring the harm it knew it was doing.

https://digitalcommons.wcl.american.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1909&context=hrbrief

Whatever about them after WW2, I'm very dubious about the UN today.

Yes, I think a better case can be made for Dresden to he declared a war crime than the bombing of Gaza by Israel post Oct 7th.

But, the Jews, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

israel generally don't drop lieflets or phone anyone or give any warnings and this is a matter of policy.

they only did so once for propaganda purposes.

the only reason the dropping of the atomic bombs for experimental purposes is not considered a war crime is because the victors decided it wasn't, the same as the bombing of dresden.

if the victors decide a war crime is not a war crime even when it is, then it's not a war crime, which is illogical but that is how it is unfortunately.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

In my original post, as you quoted it, I did say you didn't say that. Then I edited it and that bit got deleted. So I apologise if I misrepresented your position. That was not my intention.

I'm not sure if I'm reading you right - WWII bombings were not covered by war crimes legislation because leaflets were dropped, ergo Israeli bombings are the same - ie legitimate?

i also think others here posted that WWII bombings were not war crimes because they predated the legislation?

Nah, they've been doing it for years, along with (a little later) the practice of "roof-knocking", where they drop a low explosive charge on the roof of a building where their intelligence says there is a senior Hamas member or else a weapons cache etc, before an air strike:

As early as 2006 the IDF had the practice of warning the inhabitants of a building that was about to be attacked.[14] Roof knocking was used during the 2008–2009 Gaza WarOperation Pillar of Defense in 2012, and Operation Protective Edge in 2014. In the six months prior to its use, Israel collected data on Hamas members, which they used to issue warnings.[7] 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roof_knocking

And this is the Irish republicans view of the Israeli state.

i think the "not hiding your support..." statement is reading more into the post than was stated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Ah of course, for the thousands of dead women and children, the tens of thousand injured, homeless, starving and sick, it's their own fault for not overthrowing a terrorist dictatorship, or for voting for them in the first place back in 2006.

The depths which people sink to, to defend such barbarity is shameful, hiding behind history from 80 years ago or a thin veneer of 'legality' while they wilfully ignore the illegal settlements, ethnic cleansing and flat out murder of people surrendering with a white flag

No worries about the misquoting. It happens.

About the air strikes, it's a bit more complicated than just dropping leaflets. That's why I mentioned other requirements: there are a number of criteria, such as whether other, less deadly, means could be used to achieve the same (legitimate) military aim. That's what "proportionate" means in the context of civilian deaths, and not "an equivalent number of deaths", as many posters on here seem to think.

There's no point in us discussing the detail of that though, because none of us have the necessary information. But the IDF have independent legal teams whose job it is to go over planned military actions and ensure that they are legal. And if the independent legal team believes that they are not legal, they normally have to power to override the military men: no contentious order is supposed to be given without their agreement. That's why I'm fairly sure that the airstrikes, however horrendous they are in the numbers of deaths caused (and they are tragic) will not be found to have been war crimes. No Nuremberg trials for Israel.

(Note that this obviously doesn't prevent an individual or a team on the ground going rogue - it just means that illegal orders will not be given to soldiers from their hierarchy in Israel.)

Concerning WW2 actions, no, that's not why the Allied actions weren't judged illegal. Obviously, being the victors helped, as well as having the concentration camps to point to as a reason for continuing the bombing right up until they surrendered, but basically the question about Dresden is whether it was still needed at that stage because the Germans were already effectively defeated. As they had not yet surrendered though, it's not entirely clear that they would have surrendered as soon without it. Hindsight is always handy.

I certainly agree that the terms of any ceasefire should include unequivocal release of hostages and a complete cessation of all hostilities.

A ceasefire (as the UN is debating) would not be one sided. It would have to be agreed by all parties (others than Hamas may be conducting hostilities and firing rockets - I'm not sure). It should also lay down the strict terms on what is considered a breach (by all parties) and the consequences of such breaches.

I certainly was not saying a ceasefire for Israel only. That would not be equitable.

im not an expert on military law but I always thought a ceasefire was an agreement between/amongst warring parties. If it applied to only one party, I think that might be a forced surrender? That is certainly not what my original question was about.

I agree, but what people have been marching for in London and elsewhere is a unilateral ceasefire, ie for Israel to stop. Hamas have already said they will continue more Al Aqsa Flood operations (Oct 7th) until Israel no longer exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭jmreire

To the best of my knowledge, Dresden had no military value as such that helped the German war efforts, and therefore there was no real justification for the bombing. It was as I have already said, pure revenge, and nothing else, and I'd say that the bomber crews were cheering as they watched the bombs they had dropped explode far below them. And as we say here in Ireland, the craic was 90 in the bombers on the way home.

• Advertisement

Fair play is good sport - it was one poster.

They posted a very interesting and detailed article on the roots of Hamas.

whilst I agree with everyone here that the actions of Hamas on Oct 7 were abhorrent and Israel absolutely has the right to defend themselves. But "Hamas", as others have pointed out, is an ideology. Not just a bunch of terrorists.

I recall hearing a phrase years ago - in order to beat your enemy, understand them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭GeminiLad

Except Israel aren't indiscriminately murdering innocent women and children. Israel are going after Hamas, as they have every right to do. It is Hamas who hide amongst their own women and children resulting in civilians deaths. That is fact. No other military in the world are as tolerant and careful as the IDF, but they're participating in a propaganda war they cannot win.

What is abhorrent is the complete lack of knowledge about the history of this conflict. How many times have the Palestinian's been offered the two state solution? Six I believe, and no agreement. I'm thinking they don't really want it and anyone who says they do are living in cloud cookoo land.

Gaza was free. No IDF presence, no Jews and hundreds of millions of aid incoming every year to build a prosperous future. Look at it today. Money used to build tunnels to attack Israel, thousands of rockets built to fire indiscriminately at Israel and the enrichment of individuals within the higher echelons of these terrorist groups. It's a calipahte, similar to ISIS and a complete tragedy for innocent Palestinians living in Gaza that have no voice to criticise Hamas, if they do they and their families will be punished. Severely!

Bottom line: If the Palestinians put their guns down there will be peace. If the Israeli's put there guns down there will be no Israel.

Perhaps that why the UN cannot currently agree a wording that both Israel and Hamas will sign up to.

I would fully understand why Israel would not support a unilateral ceasefire. And that is their right. As much as I would like to see the bombing stop, I do get their reasoning.

Perhaps this really will only end when Hamas are neutralised to the satisfaction of Israel. If so, I think the numbers of civilian deaths we are seeing today are paltry. An extended campaign of even a few more weeks will see disease and hunger set in - many will die from that.

There will be no winners here - civilians decimated and Israel possible an international pariah for decades and they will still not have the security they crave.

Do you any further info on those six or so instances? It's not a loaded question - I'm not disputing it.

I'd be interested to see why the offers were rejected.

He said the situation is as bad as he's seen, not a mention that Israel are worse than the Khmer Rouge.

Because you have to take it in context.

Israel are not exterminating innocent women and children like the Nazi's did. Israel are neitralizing legitimate terrorist personnel and infrastructure. Hamas will purposely house this infrastructure/personnel within close proximity to innocent civilians which makes Israel the bad guy when they strike these targets.

Makes you wonder doesn't it.. (or at least it should) what Hamas had to gain from October 7th. You look around the world at all the protests and international condemnation of Israel and it begins to make sense. This is a propaganda war to Hamas and the ace in their pocket is the amount of 'civilian' lives lost.

There were no missiles or war planes attacking Gaza on October 6th. No settlements and no stealing of land in Gaza. So why butcher thousands of innocent people? 🤔

Do people not expect Israel to hold Hamas to account for October 7th attacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,915 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

How is Irish sympathy for Palestinians mis-guided? They are being wiped out, starved and bombed continuously for 9 weeks now for something they didn't do as a people. And not a prisoner freed yet by the IDF. They shot dead the 3 who managed to escape and seek their help of course.

Rejection number one.

The suggested split was heavily in favor of the Arabs. The British offered them 80% of the disputed territory, the Jews the remaining 20%. Yet, despite the tiny size of their proposed state, the Jews voted to accept this offer. But the Arabs rejected it and resumed their violent rebellion.

Rejection number two.

Ten years later, in 1947, the British asked the United Nations to find a new solution to the continuing tensions. Like the Peal Commission, the UN decided that the best way to resolve the conflict was to divide the land. In November 1947, the UN voted to create two states. Again, the Jews accepted the offer and again, the Arabs rejected it.

Only this time, they did so by launching an all-out war. Jordan, Egypt, Iraq, Lebanon and Syria joined the conflict. But they failed. Israel won the war and got on with the business of building a new nation. Most of the land set aside by the UN for an Arab state, the West Bank and East Jerusalem, became occupied territory. Occupied not by Israel, but by Jordan.

Rejection number three.

20 years later, in 1967, the Arabs led this time by Egypt and joined by Syria and Jordan, once again sought to destroy the Jewish state. The 1967 conflict, known as the Six-Day War, ended in a stunning victory for Israel. Jerusalem and the West Bank, as well as the area known as the Gaza Strip, fell into Israel’s hands.

The government split over what to do with this new territory. Half wanted to return the West Bank to Jordan and Gaza to Egypt in exchange for peace. The other half wanted to give it to the region’s Arabs, who had begun referring to themselves as the Palestinians, in the hope that they would ultimately build their own state there.

Neither initiative got very far.

A few months later, the Arab League met in Sudan and issued its infamous three-NOs, no peace with Israel, no recognition of Israel, no negotiations with Israel. Again, a two-state solution was dismissed by the Arabs.

Rejection number four.

In 2000, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak met at Camp David, with Palestinian Liberation Organization Chairman Nasser Arafat, to conclude a new two-state plan. Barak offered Arafat a Palestinian state in all of Gaza, and 94% of the West Bank, with East Jerusalem as its capital. But the Palestinian leader rejected the offer.

In the words of U.S. President Bill Clinton, “Arafat was here 14 days and said no to everything.”

Instead, the Palestinians launched a bloody wave of suicide bombings that killed over 1,000 Israelis and maimed thousands more, on buses, in wedding halls, and in pizza parlors.

Rejection number five.

In 2008, Israel tried yet again. Prime Minister Ehud Omar went even further than Ehud Barak had, expanding the peace offer to include additional land to sweeten the deal. Like his predecessor, the new Palestinian leader, Mahmoud Abbas, turned the deal down.

https://africachinapresscentre.org/2023/10/13/5-times-in-the-past-palestine-rejected-offer-to-have-its-state-they-want-israel-out-of-existence/

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Theres so many points i could take but we'll take 1 line from your post. Id be here all night if I went through it all. "Theres no one as careful or tolerant as the IDF" you say. They shot 3 of their own hostages who were waving a white flag and shouting in hebrew. How careful were they then.

I totally agree, a complete ceasefire is the absolute optimum.

I really hope it happens. Really. Contrary to posters belief I am not ' pro Israeli ' I just see things from both sides.

Both sides need to come to some agreement on a ceasefire and release of hostages. That's in the short term, to stop more innocents being killed.

In the long term, I don't know how it can be worked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,915 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Surely you can't be proud of what's happening in Gaza?

Advertisement