Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,001 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Especially with all the moaning about Spiderman 2 being game of the year. Fine game and all but it's no links awakening. In fact I can't think of any year it would even be considered game of the year let alone 2023 which might be the strongest year for good games in 15 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,323 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

😁

Both great examples actually as to why power isn't everything. Still happily playing my Switch over the monstrosities that are the PS5 and Xbox whatever the feck the latest one is called.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,001 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Reminds me Ive to pick up Mario wonder and Pikmin 4 this week.

I was also playing pilotwings last night while the analogue was updating and stuff.

I'm severely stuck on the 4th set of objectives, particularly the parachute one. The other 3 objectives are tough but doable but I've yet to land the parachute and there's no point continuing if you don't land it as you have to be near perfect in the other 3 to pass. The landing spot is pretty small and in the middle of a body of water and there's also a pretty strong wind as well to complicate things.

Thought it would be handy enough as Arino managed to finish it on a Game Centre CX episode but I guess I'm not even as good as a middle aged Japanese comedian.

Master of the Universe

Mario Wonder really lives up to it's title. It's been a long time since a game has put a big beaming grin across my face again and again. Just a great great game. I've burst out laughing a good few times throughout.

I'm a dope. There's nothing wrong with the pilotwings parachute controls, I'd just forgotten how to play the game. Pressing back on the dpad slows your forward momentum making it much easier to find tune a landing.

Anyway I sat down to an evening of pilotwings and managed to beat. There was loads of frustration but it never felt like it was anything but my fault. The first four stages aren't too bad as long as you aren't a Muppet like me and remember the parachute controls. They end in a fun little shooter section with an Apache helicopter.

Beating this opens expert pilotwings, four more stages that are way more brutal. The challenges are slightly harder but made more difficult with weather effects like much stronger wind, ice and rain. The difficulty however isn't insane. If you mess up a stage you can go for the bonus stage on the parachute or rocket pack stage which gives you a chance at the extra points you need. If not then just play the level safe. Saying that I beat the final set of challenges by the skin of my teeth by getting the exact number of points I needed.

There's a final Apache stage at the end which is riddled with missile silos. I believe you are rescuing Mario's brother Luigi in this stage as I seem to remember it from game center cx but it looks like it was removed from the SNES version.

It's a real gem on the SNES, it might be a tech demo but they it's a game I could see myself replaying a lot with friends of I owned it back in the day.

Master of the Universe

Started up an English translation of Front Mission 5 on the PS2 today. About two hours in now and really enjoying it, really surprised it never made it to the west. Feels like a big budget game, absolutely lovely looking. Reminds me a bit of Metal Gear Solid 2 visually.

Gameplay wise it feels very like Valkyrie Chronicles.

I've played a good bit of it and got distracted. It's fantastic. Front mission 3 is an absolute gem on the ps1 but when front mission 4 came out it was a big disappointment and then never made it to the EU. FM5 went back to the gameplay of FM3 and was so much better. To me it feels like shining force with mecha, quite simple but loads of fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've always heard the name of the series but literally never knew what it was, I must check it out. I wouldn't mind getting into a turn based RPG, haven't played one since Advance Wars (or Pathway to Glory on the N-Gage!)

FM3 or FM5 would be the best place to start although I hear the FM1 remake is pretty great. They're pretty simple tactical RPGs, nothing as complicated as advance wars or FF Tactics but they are no less fun due to it.

Two things to note if you start with FM 3 as it's the one I'm most familiar with.

First, you get a choice to make at the start of the game (go with a character or not) which leads to two branching paths which are effectively two very different storylines and both are worth playing. The Emma storyline is way better fleshed out with multiple paths through and tonnes of characters you can recruit of make enemies of. The other path is still worth doing.

Secondly the mech parts system is a bit misleading. Your fully upgraded level 3 armour is always going to seem better than any other parts you collect on the way. Sticking with the same armour is a mistake though as the newer armour will be better if you upgrade it. As the abilities you can learn are from different armours so it's much better to change armour when you see a new one. There's loads of really fun broken abilities.

I last played it a decade ago on the Wii U VC, now, it's time to revisit the world of Earthbound. Masterfully quirky, and the music...man, the music, I still can hum along to the tunes after a single playthrough ten years ago...amazing stuff.

Anyway, Onett done, Twoson awaits....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I can still remember the scratch'n sniff advertisement in EGM, a US gaming magazine I used to buy.

I really must play it.

That, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max, and Monkey Island, guilty I've not played them properly. Maybe 2024 is the year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

First game I ever played as soon as I got my 64. Still remember clearly where I was sitting, the tape loading etc.

• Advertisement

The loading screen image and the music was excellent as well.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Finished links awakening DX. One of the best Zelda games and see how it's held in such high regard. The final two dungeons were so good and the final boss fight was great.

The colour dungeon added to DX though... Why did they bother.

Going to continue with Megaman V on the Gameboy and then finish off a few more of the Guild01 games on the 3DS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

What Guild games you got left to finish off?

I'm trying to do a sweep of all those games I've got like 90% on, just to clear them up but then ended up getting myself the We Love Katamari remaster, along with Monkey Ball Banana Blitz HD, so I'm pretty sure that's sealed me off until 2024.

I've liberation maidan, starship damrey and weapon shop omasse.

The first two are 90 minute jobs. Omasse seems more substantial.

• Advertisement

If you get a chance while it's still fresh in your mind, give Link's Awakening DX HD a go...

^^ Brand new, and naturally been nuked by Nintendo already, but it's out there. Seemingly it's pretty amazing...

I gave it a go already. It's an interesting project but the interconnected open world kind of breaks the game, it just wasn't designed for it. The recent switch remake suffers from it a little. It's kind of a good example of how games are built around limitations and sometimes removing them negatively affects the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

This is a great article on just that: the structure of the Link’s Awakening overworld structure.

Lets try get these two working

The 1st game I played on my C64 was Shadow Warriors [it has a poor rating here - https://www.lemon64.com/game/shadow-warriors] but I loved it. The intro screen music was excellent.

I'm guessing that's a conversion of the arcade ninja gaiden.

I remember playing a lot of data easy conversions on the C64 which for some reason we're really great conversions. Sly spy secret agent, dragon ninja. Taito as well with rainbow islands, bubble bobble and operation wolf off the top of my head.

Still works!

Very annoying issue, Ive a load of custom teams I made as a kid on Sensible Soccer saved on disks but the game disks I have seems to be the original Sensible Soccer and not the 92/93 season version which I think I had originally.

Must have lost the game disks at some stage and replaced them with the older game so my saved disks arent compatible.

Off to Ebay so...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Played some Einhander this evening, that game is stunning, and more so that it was Square's first try at the genre.

• Advertisement

I wish they followed it up but then again it wasn't like the ps1 era wasn't filled by quality square games.

Yep, a decent conversion too IMO. Data East had some terrific games alright.

Thanks for mentioning that game. I just gave it a try - superb shooter!

Yes, they hadn't made one before, they never made one again, yet they made such an impressive game.

I mean, it is easily up there with RType Delta, if not better.

Just to be pedantic, they made king's knight for msx and NES.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Browsing ROMs on the Steam Deck at work last night, I was intrigued by the box art of this. Dead of the Brain 1 & 2, a PC Engine CD game that has been recently translated to English.

Visual novel/point and click stuff isn't my cup of tea but apparently this is gorey so it had my interest. It's very slow moving so I'll need to figure out some sort of turbo move on the emulator!

I heard it's pretty good for a VN with great art. What I can definitely vouch for is the soundtrack which is peak 90s videogame synth. Well the PC 98 version (which I think has a translated version available). I imagine PC engine soundtrack is weaker.

I've played the first part of the translated PC98 version, it's pretty great. Great atmosphere, great artwork, great music....must get back to it. Hopefully part 2 gets the translation treatment

Finished up Megaman V on the Gameboy. Great game but I regret starting it before I found out about the colourised GBC rom Hack which makes some of the more samey early levels look way better and more distinct.

Back to the 3DS and finishing those Guild games off. I started and finished Liberation Maiden last night. Fun little project with a unique control scheme. It's only about an hour long but good fun for that hour. Feels like a vertical slice pitch for a bigger project but that's kind of what the guild games were about.

Started Starship Damrey but early days for that.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Any other PCE CD standout stuff worth noting? The only game I really know from the system is Rondo of Blood, otherwise I'm going in fairly blind. My Turbo Everdrive Pro should be here in the next day or two so cant wait to have a flick through the library and see what's on there.

It's mostly shooters. I hear kaze Kiri is good. Ys 4 had a fan translation and worth checking out. It's the best of the ys4 games (the SNES had a ys 4 game but it's a totally different game from the PC engine one) it's non canonical but also way better than the SNES game, which got remade as the much better ys: celceta.

Loads of shooters. Air Zonk. The best versions of lords of thunder and gate of thunder. Spriggan. Gradius 2. Star parodied.

Tengai makyou also finally got a fan translation.

Heard good things about last alert.

There's also versions of exile and exile 2 that remove the working designs changes and makes them playable again.

I forgot about saphire as well. That's probably the pinnacle of PC engine CD shooters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I quite liked Ys Book 1 and 2 (I didn't try 3 and 4 which are also on it - not sure if there are translation patches yet) and since I am partial to the odd shooter : Gate of Thunder, Cotton, Darius, Lords of Thunder, R-Type, Raiden, Zero Wing and a few others.

Original Splatterhouse is on it too it that's your type of thing.

One that I was surprised / delighted to find a console version of was LucasArts Loom, which I played once almost to completion on a 286 pc with a black and white screen in the mid nineties. There's also a pretty decent version of the original prince of Persia, a couple of wonderboy games etc..

Original Shin Megami Tensei is on there too. And a surprisingly good version of Snatcher too if you can locate a translation for it.

And that's before you get to the weird stuff.

Nice console. Enjoying my one. Considering getting the Analogue Duo.. if only I could get it to output on a CRT I would already have one.

• Advertisement

Ys book 1 and 2 are great but the PC/PSP remake is the definitive way. Ys is a little archaic and I'd recommend the remake ys the oath in felghana which might be the best action rpg ever made. Ys 4 Ive heard is great.

As for SMT the SNES version is the one to play there.

The xak games are meant to be good and have fan translations. I'm not sure if they are cd or hu card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

...did not realise there was a remake on PSP... installing to the psp as we speak... physical copy looks spicy price-wise.

Enjoy, it's really good. Just don't be afraid to use a walkthrough if you get stuck. Both games are faithful to the original, obnoxious puzzles and all.

I picked up the Rockman GB titles, have yet to play them, might give them a blast

3-5 are the good ones with 5 the best. Megaman 2 is a bit of a stinker

• Advertisement
Advertisement