Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Ross is a good-not-great outhalf who has reached his ceiling. Harry lurches from injury to injury (but looks good when he gets minutes). Frawley isn't trusted in his own right, it takes injuries for him to get gametime at 10. Prendergoat & Tector are in nappies. I dunno. I don't think it's particularly likely but I think Leo could make the argument for an outhalf on a 1 or 2 year deal if he felt it was what was needed to get the team over the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

He could make the argument but, the union would probably point out the RB has 20 international caps. He's good enough, imo. Harry has a couple of caps. It would be crazy to sign a 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭durthacht

Ross Byrne will compete with Jack Crowley to be Ireland's starting fly half. Harry Byrne is a very skilful fly half who will only become an option for Ireland with more playing time. Sam Prendergast is one of the most exciting fly halves in Europe, who will only fulfil his potential with playing time.

All three will be important to Ireland national team planning, so signing a NIQ would make no sense for the IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I do think the IRFU will look to move one if not two from Harry Byrne, Prendergast, Frawley and Tector to the other provinces. Leinster probably wouldn’t need to sign a replacement if it was Frawley and /or Tector, these two are the most likely in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

There is zero chance in hell that Leinster would move Prendergast and rightfully so. Harry Byrne would be attractive as starter in connacht and ulster, but i really don’t see him wanting to leave. Frawley likewise but maybe more likely to leave. I’ve never been a fan of Tector but he seems likely to be gone at some point. Not sure where though. Munster would presumably want someone more athletic (like their current tens) and definitely more experienced. I don’t think tector would want to be third banana in Ulster. Connacht? I prefer Hawkshaw if he’s third ten there.

• Advertisement

Under no circumstances should Leinster sign or be allowed sign a 10 imo. I'd stretch that to all the provinces as well tbh, in the post-Sexton era I think there should just be a ban on NIQ 10s until things sort themselves out.

If DMac rumours are true (and I am not assuming they are, he's under contract) it should be to play in the outside backs only.

We are more shallow at 15 than 10 surely. Shouldn’t there be a ban on 15s as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

With Burns, Carty, Carbery, Butler, Flannery, Hanrahan, RB, HB, Prendergast, Tector, Frawley and Hawkshaw at the provinces the first port of call for any signings at outhalf should be from within Irish rugby. Ulster have the most pressing need by far, to my mind. That will obviously change if Munster lose Carbery.

From listening to podcasts this week, that is apparently very much a real situation and there has been an approach although nothing at all has been signed. Frawley and HB are both up for renewal this summer so I wouldn't be surprised if Frawley is approached by other provinces although I struggle to see the logic in a move for him right now.

Leinster have no reason to be considering a signing at 10 though. It would be laughable. A utility back and a tighthead are the only two spots they can really have a claim to need a signing and that is assuming Ngatai leaves (and I hope he stays for another year).

Keenan and then pretty much no one we trust. Yea need to get an NIQ in on that slot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

That's as much to do with Keenan's injury profile tho; there's no reason not to play him if he's fit, and invariably, he always is.

JOB, Hansen, even Haley and Lowry would be good options imo. Personally think we have much better depth there than at 10.

JOB can be kind of dodgy sometimes defensively. I really need to see more of him at 15. I thought he had a pretty bad defensive game against australia (in fairness his first full test i think) and munster seemed to target him in their recent game which was surprising.

I honestly don’t think farrell rates lowry or haley. The latter especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Ross Byrne might make Irish squads over the next while but he won't seriously be competing with Crowley. He'll be there as a placeholder until one of the baby 10s comes good.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

If I was a betting man, the three Fly halves that will be pushing for the 10 jersey for the next World cup will be Jack Crowley, Sam Prendergast and Ciaran Frawley (Especially if he goes to a different province), Ross & Harry Byrne, Jack Carty and Joey Carbery are really good options to have in reserve but there is the makings of a great fly half in the 3 i named first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Sexton for the vacant backs coach job?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I highly doubt he'll put pressure on Crowley but he's still far and away the bench 10 and if I had to guess will continue to be til Prendergast takes it in a few years. Hard to see who else there is unless Harry can really put a string of games together.

I'd say that HB still has a great chance to get into the mix. He's a very good player. I think Crowley is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

People on here have been saying RB has reached his ceiling with great confidence for at least 5 years, yet his performances in green have improved a lot over the same period. Conventional wisdom is not very wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

La Rochelle lost again tonight, I'm just wondering how good our win against them actually was in hindsight. Maybe they just aren't the force they once were.

I watched this game this morning.

Wouldn’t read too much into it - to compare to the LAR team Leinster beat, this team was missing Pierre Bourgarit, Uini Atonio, Levani Botia, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, UJ Seuteni & Brice Dulin.

Skelton & Boudehent came off the bench and Hastoy started at 15. On top of that, Danty got a red card after 45 mins.

Not remotely similar to the closer to full strength side Leinster beat at home.

I was very impressed by a 19 year old on the wing for La Rochelle, Nathan Bollengier, who strangely was taken off after 45 mins but had looked very good in the first half.

• Advertisement

They were also, crucially, playing away from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Danty likely to get a few weeks for a really stupid stamp when being held at a ruck.

I'd guess 3 weeks but if he gets 4, he's gone for Sale which is potentially their do or die game.

Merry xmass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Good win in terrible conditions. The scoreboard didn't reflect what I thought was a pretty dominant Leinster performance.

Our pack really ground down Munsters. Frequently won the up close exchanges in attack and defence. Munster couldn't get any frequent gain line success on either side of the ball.

Our rush defence was especially effective when Munster tried to spread the ball into midfield and wider. Swallowed them up and hit them far behind from where they started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Nienaber has barely been here a month and has already made a huge impact.

The increased line speed and focus on big hits is the most noticeable chance. But Leinster's work at the ruck has changed hugely as well. We nuked so many of them this evening and made an utter mess of Munsters ball. Our focus wasn't always to steal it, but just to make it so hard for Munster to get quick ball that they were then swallowed up by the rush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Don't think the game was particularly close. The terrible conditions kept it tight, thought we fairly dominated them.

Awful conditions producing a tough match to watch. Good tough win on the road.

Agreed. The pack did well. Some good efforts all through.

Big Mike put in a very good effort. A lot of good hits and strong carries. Kelleher also hits like a bus. There's going to be a ton of sore bodies after that.

• Advertisement

Penny had a good evening too. He's very underrated and falls short praise, imo. He's been very good anytime I've seen him. He looks like he's more powerful.

Didn't it look like HB banjaxed his hammy in the 1st half?

Advertisement