Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"average Dublin house prices should fall to ‘the €300,000 mark" according to Many Lou McD.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Maybe stick to the fairy tales as your analogies kinda suck.

Not a single person on here has told anyone to cut back on the avocados so they can buy a $4M house of anything close. What we have said is to stop whining that you cant afford to live in Dublin as you sit on the beach in your designer sunglasses.

So your "other factors" are basically price inflation? That sure is breaking news Donald, have you told the press yet? House prices increase everywhere, all the time (other than I believe Tokyo as an outlier, but even there they are still increasing, just not reached the earlier bubble price yet)

So no matter when you buy a house, it would have been cheaper to buy it earlier, just like the stock market. The prices always go up and in a growing population, the capital city is going to be the most expensive. This isnt an analogy, this is just basic facts of supply and demand Donald.

My "childhood stuff" is to show you thatthe vast majority of people dont get things handed to them and still come out on top. Because they work hard and sacrifice for the things they want, and dont expect the state to hand them a house for 5% of their salary.

Poor Billy is in his 30s, one has to wonder what he has been doing for the last 10+ years...Everyone else was getting on with growing up and saving for their future, but Billy isnt in any debt, so isnt he great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Do you expect house prices to remain static?

Those who own houses worth multiples of the initial purchase price were earning lower salaries at the time and they saved. They also didn't expect a turnkey house with brand new furniture.

Very few people have the cost of a house they can pull out of their arse, or parents to gift it to them.

The Donald paid for his house in cash, one can only wonder where he pulled it from, he declined to answer the question when I put it to him earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No, not to remain static, but you can look at various multiples such as house price to income level ratio. Incomes will presumably move in line with increases in cost of living. For example, I first asked a previous poster about the ratio of the equity in their house today to their current salary.

Almost everyone who buys a house will put themselves to the pin of their collar. They will stretch themself to buy in the best area they can. There are no gold medals needed. What we have today is a scenario where - largely in part to government policy - an occupation which would have gotten you a house in a nice middle class area will now get you a house-share to your 30's, whereupon you will be advised to buy a derelict and unroofed shell of a building half way up a mountain in Kerry.

There is no need to go off on strawmen about being gifted a house by parents. 30 or 40 years ago you could get a council house if you couldn't afford a house. Then you were allowed to buy out that house at maybe 60% of the actual physical construction cost (not this SCSI developer crap). Whereas now the State inflates the private market, resulting in a flow of wealth to those who already have it.

I read a good article in the IT a week or two ago about how the government is also trying to facilitate a similar flow to pensioners now. The people in their 50's and 60's were gifted by the previous generation (indirectly if not directly) and then proceeded to change the system to take from the following generation. There are other factors at play such as the uplift in the general economy, but that particular cohort tried to ringfence as much as possible of that for themselves. Previous generations did not do that.

I didn't realise you asked me. I saved it from regular salary. But not in this country so it is somewhat irrelevant. I don't expect the a random poster on here to be able to replicate that and I'm not going to criticise them for not doing so. I only brought it up because you were under the impression that I was blaming someone for me not growing up in time or some such sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Its easy to say " oh we sacrificed to get where we are "... " we bought in 2001 " ... let's quantify it... People now looking to buy the same property, are paying a far far larger cost. So you could quantify it and say, well yeah you struggled, but current aspiring buyers, are struggling 3 times as much as you did...

"If you want something in life you go get yourself and if you think Marylou is going to give you a leg up, you need to get some white powder to keep the fantasy going, all she wants is a United ireland."

Except in Ireland this isn't universally true. Its the hard workers, most of them poor, that can't afford a house or scrimp and save for years. The Government hands out free housing worth 600k or even more, for nothing to huge amounts of people that have never worked. No lpt, no management fee, nothing. Just a lottery win for some, while workers whove no chance of getting that, live In kips for extortionate money

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The quickest way to place downward pressure on new home prices might be to remove supports such as the Help-to-Buy scheme.

From the Irish Times... Seems plausible

• Registered Users Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There is a risk with glib soundbites, esp as we near an election of, Trussing the housing market, with financial institutions taking a negative stance on possible election outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Supply is the issue, removing the scheme to help people to buy houses, then sitting back and hoping it works is not really a a plan

So we should shut down social housing?

What alternative do you want to put in place? Because saying the government shouldn’t give people a free house is not an option as far as I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Stopping giving the long-term unemployed social houses in high demand areas would be a help. If you've never worked, and show no inclination to do so, you don't need to be in the same area as you grew up.

Use it for lower income working people, they're vital to the economy and being near public transport is necessary for them.

I agree with the stopping people picking and choosing location they want to live in, not sure how many but we have people who would prefer to sit on the homeless list instead of taking a home because it is not in the right location for them.

But we won't get to a situation when the government is going to have to give people a "free" house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Field east

Do’nt feel too down. The people walking around with BT bags represent about .00001 % - rough calculation- of the population

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Apologies if this has been covered, there are over 500 posts, and I can't read them all.

In simple terms, how would she do this if she got into power and she was serious about it, would there have to be legislation passed or something similar?

What would stop someone from selling a house for more than 300k? Surely you can put whatever price you want on anything you own, you may never get anyone willing to pay it, but that doesn't stop you from pricing something at whatever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’ve listened to a couple of interviews since ML’s article was published, none of the SF’rs have been able to explain it when probed about the practicalities of her claim.

The thread title says "average". There is no notion of a cap

There would be plenty of steps any government could take:

1) Remove help-to-buy and shared equity schemes

2) Cut the likes of HAP which prop rents up to a level people can't afford. The result is that people know they can get more rent, so they pay more for the house, which in turn leads them to believe they deserve more rent.

3) Stop the LAs from inflating house prices in the private market by outbidding everyone with their "bottomless" wallets

4) Proper, and enforced, vacant house/site levies.

5) Cut the LAs own waste and bureaucracy. This might allow reduction of some of the levies they place on housing

Ultimately though more houses need to be built. In the medium term that has to be corporations and councils. Given that we are so far behind, then a quick pressure release would be mass installation of modular homes. Not ideal due to the finite lifespan, but much better value than agreeing to pay the guts of a million quid over 30 years to rent an apartment from some German pension fund. The social housing mix idea may have to be temporarily suspended

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Do the anti-sinners accept that if more houses are built, and supply was to actually meets demand, that there will be a huge danger of many, many people ending in negative equity as housing is completely overpriced at present?

Like, I have a relative in Bray who's very normal 3 bed semi, built in the 70's is worth over 500,000. I remember it was valued in the 90's at 50,000. I can't think of any other common item that has increased ten fold in the last 30 years.

The market is inflated but the days of buying a house in Bray for 50,000 is long gone unless the entire country is destroyed and everyone loses their jobs.

Something which you are correct if Sinn Fein get into government could happen, sure you will be happy then? but not living in Ireland if you want a job

If you bought a house, can pay for it and plan to live in it for 30-40 years what difference does negative equity make to you?

Was the country destroyed and everyone out of work when houses in Bray were 50K?

I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭Francis McM

I know of a house in one part of the country that was sold for 500,000 in 2006 and it was sold eight years later for 100,000. It is still worth way less than in 2006.

I also know a Garda who bought an investment property (house) recently for €90,000. Average Garda pay is €82,000 a year. He is letting it out and it only cost him a years earnings he says. His wife if a college lecturer so they can live comfortably on her income and invest his every year. Who said property was overvalued in Ireland relative to wages?

Point is, for every sob story from someone in Dublin who thinks the world owes them a living and a free house( in-between their takeaway coffees and holidays abroad and 3 day stag parties etc ), there is another point of view that life is what you make it yourself.

If SF get i to power, that 500,000 semi in Bray will probably drop in to value to 200,000 as nobody will be able to afford any more. And the people who bought it for 500,000 with a mortgage this year will be be trouble if / when they have to sell it to emigrate to find work. As happened not too long ago. And the banks will need bailing out again. Except next time the IMF / UK / EU will not help us for obvious reasons : we are now borrowed up (government debt) to our necks in debt / one of the highest in the world per head, unlike last time there was a crash. They also have their problems. I can see riots and blood on the streets.

• Advertisement

Really? that was the time when the option leaving college was to move to US/England/nywhere for the majority.

Celtic Tiger was 1995 and that when house prices started to rise, in the early 1990's myself and everyone else in school at the time mostly looked at getting a good education and moving overseas.

Similar to my parents who both born in Ireland and met in London after they had to leave Ireland after school, my father for instance was 15/16 and working on a site in London.

I remember my aunt in early 1990's was coming back to Ireland from Canada, the travel agent at the time was shocked anyone would travel to Ireland and get blown up by the PIRA.

Maybe you thought that was a great time for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I find comments like this very entertaining, but also very disturbing... these people are allowed to vote!

*€50,000 then is not the same as €50,000 now... they do not equate. The world is a different place, the value of money and the value of currency are not the same. Irish property prices are generally in line with other markets around the world.

It is possible to save and buy a house these days, I did it recently without a gift from parents, a help to buy scheme or any other assistance... I just saved and sacrificed luxuries. I agree that by removing the HTB & HAP might help, but building a huge amount to satisfy the market will still not make property values drop to an average of €300,000.

People need to concentrate on managing themselves, do what it takes to get onto the property ladder and then make whatever incremental moves to end up in the house they want... just like people have been doing for the past 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The supply side is largely the solution. That takes time, a lot of it. We are getting there, slowly. A lot of people without children should be aiming at apartment living, whether owned or rented long term.

*Did I not say that?

**What else has gone up 10x in value since 1995?

A pint in 1995 was about £2 if memory serves. A tea might have been 60p?

A 10 pack of cigarettes was £1.50 or so iirc.

So the govt debt (which FF/FG would have been charge of has put us in debt up to our necks, and the answer to that is vote them in again?

Riiiiight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

You need to compare like to like. A house back in the 90's is not the same as a house today. I'd love to know what % of the value of houses these days are made up of, central heating, treble glaze windows, insulation, flooring etc... maybe building a house these days to the same spec as the 80's/90's would give you a €300k house.

I think the issue a lot of people on this thread have is that the one doing the most complaining is doing the least amount of struggling.

So what is the plan for Sinn Fein to get us out of debt?

Supply of what though? If social housing is anything better than "as cheap as possible" then it will destroy the whole housing market and potentially crash the economy again.

The problem is that, under the current regulations, "as cheap as possible" is minimum code, which still works out at ~€370K.

If you start giving away 3 bed semis in desirable areas for lower than cost price, you will destroy the market totally. This will be great news for the people who are trying to enter the market, but ruin the lives of the vast majority of people who already own a house.

Doing away with bed-sits was an example of how raising the standards can have negative knock-on effects. Students should all be living in specifically designed shared student dorms in areas adjacent to the main universities instead of taking up family homes. All this has a knock-on effect in the market. Students dont need to live in family homes, families do.

• Advertisement

Yes, but those arguments never take into account that the relative costs of those things can be a lot lower today.

Advertisement