Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Answer me this. Would you ever see the main public broadcasting service in NZ, SA, France or England, label failure to get past the last 8 as "good enough"?

The attempts by the mainstream media to spin our latest World Cup failure as some valiant, heroic effort is comical and embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

would it be better if the media would label the players as complete failures to a level of almost personal abuse, as has happened in all those countries previously (I can only presume about France, I dont follow their media too much so maybe they are actually different)? the NZ reaction after 2007 for example, was particularly gruesome by all accounts

yes, i dont think the irish campaign was a success overall, of course it wasnt. but a grand slam, beating the current/future rwc champions in a competitive game, irish URC winner and Irish european finalist all point to the year not exactly being a complete failure for irish rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think there is a real lack of analysis on why we lost the NZ game in the media.

However, it was undoubtably a successful year overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

It was done to death across the media on podcasts. Not sure how many review you want to do?

Not on the ones i listen to. There has been more analysis on random urc games than on why we lost vs new zealand on the 42 podcast for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

So basically Humphreys is effectively in the hot seat for Christmas and Nucifora is going home - Notwithstanding the contracts

I wonder does this pave the way for Joe Schmidt to become the new Wallaby coach?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yes thats what it says.

But thats not whats happening!

would it be better if the media would label the players as complete failures to a level of almost personal abuse, as has happened in all those countries previously 

I'd rather they labeled failure as failure. Of course I'm not advocating for personal abuse of the players, but don't try to dress up failure as success, as they have been doing. And maybe the fact that the NZ team were actually criticised after 2007 gave them motivation to succeed in 2011, which they did. Not one Irish player or coach has gotten any criticism in the media after their failure at the World Cup. So why should they aim to do better in 2027? They'll be treated as heroes no matter what.

The podcast like 42, molecast, offtheball etc done weeks of analysis to the point they even laughed they had to get off it onto another topic.

Only so many times you can flog a horse and talk about a leg width in losing a game

• Advertisement

All during the World Cup when Ireland won it was always said with the "but we have done this before"

After the World Cup the majority I listened to said at least we put up a fight in the qtr, had a great win v SA but in the end we have got no further than before and this hurt more because we felt we could have wont he competition. So it was a failure and no other way to see it.

But we probably finally got the prep right for the World Cup but some tweaks instead of a complete overhaul whcih we had post most other World Cup

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'd rather they labeled failure as failure. Of course I'm not advocating for personal abuse of the players, but don't try to dress up failure as success

I think that's pretty fair, TRC.

But equally, I'd argue that too often, you try to dress up success as failure, when you make comments like "we lost when it mattered". It completely overlooks our actual achievements like, for example, our 4th ever Grand Slam.

Of course that matters.

There's a reasonable middle ground here.

Oh God no! Please!!

We're on to Australia 6N

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's not fair. No one has claimed the world cup to be a success so its a complete strawman.

The only ones refusing to look at reality are the curmudgeons who couldn't a enjoy a single god damn thing over the previous two years cause they're inherently miserable people who I don't even think like rugby. Pity about them.

I mean leg width to lose a game is not analysis. That’s the thing. If we had won that game by 3 points, the analysis would not have been we would have lost if his leg was wider.

You haven't listened to any of those podcast and are complaining that the media wasn;t more critical.

I didn’t say critical. I said analysis of why we lost beyond ‘well it was close and sometimes you lose by small margins’. There was lots of interesting things to talk about that were just not talked about. Like NZ mirroring our style and our abandonment of the game plan we used on tour as the game progressed. How NZ won the kicking battle. Exactly how did they change up their tactics?

Every podcast was just ‘shrug, small margins’ basically. If we had won by 3, it would have been a lot more in depth.

I suggest you may need to change your podcast / content diet, then.

The ones I subscribe to - Second Captains and TRK - had a lot of the type of content you are talking about. I'd be very surprised if the 42 didn't. (Mind you, I stopped listening to Off the Ball when that went to the subscriber model).

The best stuff is often paywalled, but I think that's fair enough if you want the type of quality content you are talking about.

I don’t pay, fair enough. I listen to the 42 and i swear they have spent longer on urc games than actual analysis of strategy in that game. Kinsella was extremely reticent of saying anything that could even be construed as negative.

I get that to an extent but i don’t want to hear how we are terrible. I just wanted some chat about how NZ changed up their strategy.

Murray Kinsella himself was on the Second Captains episode post-QF elimination and was very insightful about it.

Lots of stuff about how NZ won the kicking battle, specifically with the types of kicks. How Will Jordan's try was from a shortened lineout, which they hadn't done in the over 12 months. (and credit Schmidt with identifying something in our defending). That's just stuff off the top of my head.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

there was a whole hour of this podcast given over to it with jackman and kinsella.

i remember it because jackman was in a cafe or something and the background noise from him was distracting.

I listened to it. I thought they didn’t really focus at all on why we lost. I’ll listen again, maybe get different impression.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the reason we lost is that not enough of the crucial incidents went our way. The hold up over the line, sexton penalty, the lapse of concentration and ease of Jordans try. They absolutely do talk on the complete shift in NZs game plan to destroy our rucks and their kicking game (which to be fair, isnt unusual for them, they just executed very well)

however they obviously talk up our good play as, in a game where the difference was one score, the two teams very quite evenly matched.

Was discussed in detail, like the lineout and NZ having a second row throwing up a second row etc

How Ireland let in the try from a simple line out move, who was and wasn't at fault. Why did our defence break down.

It was done to death for at least a week and not more

Even on a podcast this week Rory O Connor was saying he should have been more critical of the early wins so it's not like the press have forgot

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

FFS do you honestly believe that these players who have given everything to get to the world cup only to lose in the QF need you or anyone else to point out to them that they failed on the big stage?

That they're perfectly happy with how things went and are looking forward to another quarter final exit in 2027?

That if they're pointed and laughed at on the streets of Dublin they'll win a tight game against a top team next time round?

Catch yourself on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Why is everyone giving this crap oxygen? Let him be miserable alone, misery loves company.

FFS do you honestly believe that these players who have given everything to get to the world cup only to lose in the QF need you or anyone else to point out to them that they failed on the big stage?

Perhaps they do, if the captain is going around saying shite like "we lost, but we won". No, they just lost.

Maybe they actually believe it when the media and fans tell them they're heroes, regardless of the result, which without fail, is failure. 10 World Cups, 10 failures to get past the quarter finals. But according to RTE, that's "good enough"

Maybe i just disagree on why we lost lol.

I thought us carrying way more and not kicking as much at all (and their back 3 kicking so well) was the difference.

We basically switched game plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I thought Ireland were average in the qf. They failed once again at the crucial stage. It's mind-boggling sometimes. The try off the line out was poor. Still, we could have won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Can we all just agree to not quote it at least please? It's for your own good I promise! Any victories outside of a knock out game in the world cup is peaking too early or meaningless. 6 nations is not important. Irish Rugby is crap. That's it in a few bullet points so no need to read the posts anymore 😁

Advertisement