Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The inverter actually switched on today. One of life's small victories

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Hey,

I got 10.1kWh of battery, the load shifting is working really well, especially this time of year. I went for the extended warranty on the inverter, 10 years now in total. The installer didn't mention anything about export causing issues with the warranty. They were in and out in about 5-6 hours and that included taking down my chimney! Really good experience so far, just waiting for them to do all the paperwork for the grant.

Post edited by Slaanesh on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭curioustony

@Slaanesh, export is not a problem. The problem is dumping to the grid on demand.

That's a source of revenue for some here as they buy at a cheap rate and sell for full FIT when they are happy they won't need it. An empty battery by charge time. AlphaESS consider this a power supplier company interface, not and end user one. Other that that niggle, very happy with the AlphaESS. Active home assistant community, and an open API.

Pretty much all your grid consumption was in the small hours, so I assumed a big battery.

Btw, You are not allowed to mention supplier names here, might want to edit that out

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Ah yes, I get you now. I had wondered could you dump your stored energy to the grid. The profile works for us in that we use the battery most days.

You think being a mod I'd have read the Forum charter, whoopsie. Post edited, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭allinthehead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Nice one. Photo of the install? Welcome to solar PV :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

3kWh . Galway, 6kW array SE/SW

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Susiequattro

4.3Kwh, Kilkenny 8.3Kw array South facing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭DC999

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Well that's the end of that phase of the solar cycle. Days are getting longer from tomorrow, albeit only seconds more than today :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Grand aul stretch in d'aul yevening there tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

7.4Kw array east west Mayo

1.4kWh for me today .

11.0kWh total for last 7 days ..

happy Christmas

Pretty pathetic at the moment, I'm on 44kwh for the entire month🤣

☀️

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

69.6 kWh so far for December, 6.6 kWp system E/W split.

That's an average of 2.9 kWh per day for this month. Hopefully January will be better!

Typically is January much better than December?

It will be my first January with solar PV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

It's a little better, but not much

Shortest day is mid-ish December, so for solar, winter is Nov Dec Jan in terms of performance.

Once you get into February (spring) it really starts to stretch it's legs

May June is the best months, long days, cool(er) and sunny.

August the days are getting shorter and it's a lot warmer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I've a pretty similar system to yourself 2011. 6.5Kwp system split exactly E/W in South Dublin City. Here is my stats so far this month.

Note: I added 3x panels in March last year bringing me from 5.3Kwp -> 6.5Kwp, so comparing this month with this time last year isn't a like for like comparison - but the average above so far this month is just over 2.1Kwh/day.

For comparison though with Feb 2023, again where I had only 5.3Kwp, you can see the big jump upwards starting to happen.

Average last Feb (from 5.3Kwp) was nearly 6kwh/day - but it's April to Sept where it really comes into it's own. May and June last year I was averaging 25Kwh/day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭staples7

Only up and running 3 days with solar. 8kwh generated. But can only get better right …besides people’s phone apps anyone using a more permanent visual overview of solar production. Like a display in the kitchen etc. may not be worth the cost but would be handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭paulbok

There are a lot of us here using Home Assistant for home automation (not just for solar), and use old tablets as a display/controller.

There are a few options on it for displaying your solar PV and power usages

Examples, hourly power usage/makeup

Handy overview of power flow in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

I managed to get a home assistant dashboard on the Google nest display. It seemed a bit flakey though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

I had bought one of these ulanzi led clocks to use with home assistant in the past. You can send information to it from home assistant and someone created a solar generation notification which shows the current live generation. You can set it not to display solar generation when it's 0w and shows time, date etc so doesn't constantly need to show solar value. Nice to be able to see it at a glance without checking phone etc.

https://www.ulanzi.com/products/ulanzi-pixel-smart-clock-2882

https://flows.blueforcer.de/flow/YjJZo6m7AyrL

Hit 6kwh from panels today as there was a small gap in the weather in cork. From a 7.4kwh system

Can you give me the overview on how this works. Ie download home assistant from iOS and then where to go?

would also be great if there was a widget for iOS. But none available for fusion solar (huawei)

much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

No gaps up here

2.5kWh . Galway, 6kW array SE/SW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

Surprisingly the east side of galway got a break in clouds for two hours so finished above forecast at 7.2kwh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

I haven’t seen anything better than 2.7kwh in Meath for the past 6 days. It’s been very poor here for me in the past week and the monthly stands at 111 kwh for a SSW facing 6.45kWp installation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭paulbok

Home Assistant is an open source platform that runs locally on your home network, and if maintained by yourself. Pretty much any smart device can be added to it, including solar PV systems, and it allows you to both control them in one app (iOS & android) and/or web browser. It also allows you to setup automations based on the gear you use, e.g lights come on/ off at sunset/sunrise, or trigger your washing machine to start once your battery has charged from the sun.

there are loads of tutorials on YouTube on getting started. There is a bit of work involved in setting up from scratch. A Raspberry Pi might suffice if you are not a heavy user but ideally you need a home server or dedicated PC to install it on, this gives more options for running extra devices or services.

An old tablet can be repurposed as a wall display / controller and show your energy management from solar and the home in general.

There is a thread on Home Assistant on boards as well but everything you need for it can be found on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Susiequattro

A solid 12.4Kwh today 8.3Kw array

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

9.2 kwh Generated here in Galway. Nice surprise to see it exceed the forecasted 3.2

Advertisement