Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There's no such thing as "anti marriage side" -

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So there is nobody on the thread who is against getting married? If that was the case this whole referendum would be a non issue as everyone would just get married.

Please try to include an answer to the question in your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Firstly, the concept will be extended to family units that haven't been recognized and removing references to women in the home as the caregiver. That includes single parents, grandparents raising a child etc. On top of that, everyone who has a baby together is not necessarily suited towards getting married. Reverting back to raising a family in an unhappy marriage isn't good for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Just because someone doesn't want to get married, doesn't mean they are 'anti marraige '

And the referendum isn't just for unmarried families, it will mean that families like grandparents raising grandchildren, children being raised by other family members will also be given protection as 'family ' which they don't have currently.

It's beyond ridiculous to suggest everyone who proposes recognition of many different forms of family are the "anti marriage side"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Indeed. Which is why I did not do anything of the sort.

I asked those who are against/anti marriage why they are.

You chose to interpret that incorrectly, so thats on you.

Now, any chance of addressing the question? Pretty please?

Why would you not get married unless you were opposed to marriage, i.e. anti marriage? What other reason would there be for not getting married?

If you have reasons/examples, I'm all ears.

Because some people just don't want to! Are you against personal choice?

But why not? Give me a reason, any reason. Right now the only valid reason I can see is lack of commitment to the relationship and family unit, which is kinda the whole point.

That's ridiculous.

Give me a reason to force people into marriage.

I have no interest in marriage , but am absolutely committed to relationship.

• Advertisement

Are you perhaps confusing marriage with a religious ceremony?

What negative impact would a civil marriage have on your life? Why have you no interest in it? You say you are "absolutely committed" to your relationship, yet won't take the step to have it recognised by the state and enter into a potentially lifelong legally binding contract?

Really, when you get down to it, all a civil marriage is, is proving that commitment.

Again, I'm perfectly ready to hear a valid reason why someone wouldnt enter into such a contract, but right now all I can come up with is lack of commitment, if you have a valid reason, or have heard them from others, please share.

I'm absolutely not confusing anything, thanks! I am an adult and I make my own mind up about what I want to do.

I don't need a civil marriage to prove my commitment, thanks.

Why would the state force me into something, I'm not interested in doing?

Because the state benefits from you making a commitment to your family! Just look at the stats for broken homes in the US amongst the African American populace. Look at the result of easily broken "commitments".

Btw just saying "because I don't want to" is not a very adult response to a question. Its the same response I often get from my 3 year old.

Can you give any reason why you don't want to? Can you list a single negative thing about a marriage, (other than they are somewhat difficult to get out of, which of course is irrelevant to your situation)?

What would change in your life for the worse if you got married in the eyes of the state? On the positive side you wouldnt have to worry about any of the situations regarding unmarried couples given on this thread.

Well basically, I have my own free will and I am not interested in getting married, I don't want to, not should I be forced into it,nor should my family be at any disadvantage because we don't want to marry.

I have no idea what your stats on broken homes in America have to do with anything!

So I have asked a few times for a single reason and you can't give me one. All a marriage does is make your commitment a legally binding contract. For me, (and based on your lack of examples to the contrary) the only reason not to get married is that you do not want to enter into a legally binding contract with ones partner. Which is a pretty damning statement regarding commitment.

The stats on broken homes show what can happen when there is a lack of commitment and when its too easy to get out of such commitments. Its very easy walk away from any relationship in Ireland, right up to the point you get married. Again, thats the whole point.

Such complete rameis!

Give me the comparison of relationship break ups, married couples V unmarried couples?

marriage doesn't equal more commitment, no matter what you want to believe.

No state, should force their citizens into any contracts, they don't enter into freely

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

You can't claim single parent benefits if you are married 😉

Ok, so you think my position is nonsense. Refute any of it. Come up with a counter argument. Lets hear your rebuttal for any of the points I made.

Of course marriage equals more commitment, that's what a bloody contract is for crying out loud. Its a legal commitment. The relationship might not last, but the commitment does. Again, thats the bloody point.

Sheesh, for someone so adamant that they don't want to get married you sure don't seem to know much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I don't understand how not wanting to be in a legally binding contract with someone is a damning statement of commitment? Seems a bit dramatic.

I've some very committed friendships but am not going to run out and legally bind myself to any of them.

Cool, so you look at your relationship with your partner in the same way you look at your relationships with your friends. And thats fine. As long as your "partner" is aware of where they fit on your commitment ladder of course.

For me, my relationship with my wife and kids is worth much more to me than any relationship I have with anyone else, possibly maybe bar my own parents. It simply wouldnt even occur to me to compare commitment to my family vs my friends. Perhaps thats why the state would like people to enter into such a contract, as it would be a bit more meaningful to them than their mates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Because life isn't always straightforward.

Out of my group of friends there is only one couple who got married young (early 20s) that are still together.

I know plenty more couples in second relationships where one or both were married before and now divorced, and don't want to marry again, or where one or both are still married to other people but legally separated. Some have kids together.

I raised my child as a single parent, and I chose not to marry (or cohabitate) because I own property that I want my daughter to inherit with no complications from other parties.

(Disclaimer - not anti-marriage).

Post edited by Ezeoul on

Yes you can.

Technically, separated people can claim One Parent Family Allowance while still married.

But this is not the thread for that.

Right, but isn't that kinda proving the point? People who are against marriage are against it because they feel it will be harder to walk away from when life gets complicated? i.e. when they no longer want to be part of that previously committed relationship.

The state (or society for that matter) doesn't want it to be easy to walk away when life gets complicated, because life gets complicated and hard all the time. Now there are many scenarios where walking away (while taking care of your responsibilities if they are involved) is the only sensible option. But there are far more scenarios where sticking with it, despite it being hard, is the correct thing to do. Life isn't meant to be easy all the time.

Your examples of people who got married when they were young and are now divorced isn't a problem with marriage, being married isnt what caused those relationships to break-up.

All this gets back to the point that offering the same rights to "durable relationships" does in fact dilute the value of marriage, because marriage is a much, much stronger commitment, hence why the only argument against getting married is effectively "but its too much of a commitment"

And what of durable relationships that are not romantic?

do those families not deserve protection?

Who are these people you keep claiming are "against marriage"?

You are fully entitled to measure how you express your level of commitment to your wife and family based on your own marriage.

But its damned presumptuous of you to measure what level of commitment someone else feels towards their family, based on your measures.

People can have many reasons for getting married, and I personally am not anti-marriage. They can also have many reasons for deciding not to marry.

I feel strongly that all families should have the same recognition and protection under law, no matter how they are formed, and irrespective of marital status.

Being married will not make couples stay together if they are unhappy. Maybe a few decades ago, couples in unhappy marriages stayed together "for the sake of the kids" but people have learned that life is too short for that. That doesn't mean they lack commitment.

Whatabout addressing the points in my posts instead of whataboutery?

Anyone who says they are in a committed relationship but "doesnt want" to get married is against marriage by definition.

Yet no one can give a reason why they would be in a committed relationship but not get married.

You say there are "many", give me one, please!

I never said that being married will make couples stay together if they are unhappy, what I said was that it will make them more likely to work on it rather than just give up.

I don't understand how you can say that refusing to enter into a legal commitment is less commitment than entering into one. Its a highly illogical statement to make in my mind. If you are committed, then what difference would being married make? All marriage means is that you can't just walk away when you want to. But surely if you are committed thats a non issue...right?

You don't have a point, you seem to believe that non married couples are less committed to each other than married couples. You're quite entitled to feel that way about your relationship, but you cannot quantify other people's commitment based on your feelings about it.

All families in durable relationships deserve the same protections and status as married families. That's what this change will do.

I know. Its twisting the whole thing around to say if you support a broader definition of family than family based on marriage that you are "anti marriage"

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Yet no one can give a reason why they would be in a committed relationship but not get married.

I did, including the fact that some people may still be legally married to other people and in second relationships with second families.

I gave you an example of my own family where I did not want to get married despite being in a long term relationship because I was safeguarding my daughter's future. It doesn't mean I wasn't committed to my relationship or anti marriage.

Just because these examples do not meet your personal benchmark for what a committed relationship looks like does not mean that it is not a committed relationship.

And people walk away from marriages every day.

Don't demand examples and then ignore them when given to you.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

Advertisement