Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That works for you, but it doesn't for others. If you want to vote on how you feel personally about it, fair enough. I would hope people would consider others when they are voting.

I used to view things like abortion on my personal feelings about it, but as I've grown older I've realised it isn't just about me. People voted on what the Catholic church told them to, for long enough.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Also the fundamental argument of not extending the definition of family by default limits the rights of children if they're not in the required family structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Anyone who says they are in a committed relationship but "doesnt want" to get married is against marriage by definition.

That's a completely ludicrous thing to say. There are lots of things I choose not to do but I'm not necessarily against them, I just choose (at the current time) not to do them.

Someone who is anti-marriage would seek to have marriage abolished, or believe that nobody should get married.

You are misrepresenting other posters and talking nonsense, to be frank.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Unless and until you can give a reason as to why so called "committed" couples wouldnt want to get married then you are just talking without saying anything.

While you are at it, go ahead and "define" durable for us. With examples to show how one can determine if a relationship is "durable" or not.

A marriage is the most durable relationship there can be. A legal process is required to break that relationship, not just a change of mind.

Hang on, are you saying that these examples want to get married but cant as they are still married? If so, thats not an example as a) they want to get married and of course b) they already bloody got married.

Can you explain how not getting married is safe guarding your daughters future? It seems like you are somehow protecting her in case this current relationship breaks up? It cant be a committed relationship but also one that you are worried might break up. Unless your definition of committed differs from mine of course. Does your definition contain some sort of time clause, "committed, for now"?

• Advertisement

Another wild swing and a miss Im afraid Anna. The only one twisting anything is your good self, as usual.

If you don't want to get married, then you are against marriage (or perhaps just not in a committed relationship?) Super simple stuff.

I'm still waiting for an answer by the way, take your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Have you ever gone through a divorce as a father?

So being more committed to my family than my friends is something that "works for me, but doesn't for others"?

Thats really the argument now?

I'm still waiting for someone to give a reason why, in a committed relationship, they would choose not to get married.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I would consider a parent/child or grandparent/grandchild relationship to be a more durable relationship then a marriage.

Your request for reasons why people don't want to get married, is just ridiculous tbh, I'm sure everyone has their own reasons, nothing to do with a lack of commitment

Im afraid, thats your interpretation of what it means to be against marriage. You dont have to be storming the churches and registry offices of Ireland with flaming pitch forks to be against it.

I'd love to hear your explanation for someone who is both in favour (i.e. not against) of marriage, in a committed relationship, yet chooses to not get married.

I do notice that, yet again, the reply doesnt include a single reason why someone wouldnt want to get married. Its almost a bunch of people on here arent really as committed as they want everyone to believe they are.

Prove me wrong guys, give a single valid bloody reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Wouldnt the solution there be for the parents to bother to get married, assuming they are not already married to someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

What rights of children are being denied them?

Hmm, yet parents walk out on spouses and children all the time?

I'm sure everyone does have their reasons....would just be nice for someone to be able to provide one single example.

What smells about the whole thing, is that the only difference between being married and not being married is that your so called commitment is now a legal commitment. But since everyone who has replied is totally committed to their current relationship, I cant see what challenges being married would bring. Clearly neither you nor they can either, as we are yet to be presented with a single reason why a couple who can get married choose not to.

Maybe its just down to what some people mean by commitment. Maybe people are confusing a commitment with a resolution for example, or they want to keep that back door escape route open since they are committed...."for now".

I would strongly question any partner who said they were committed but yet didnt want to get married.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you are not purposely trying to be insulting here.

But you obviously have little, if any understanding (and clearly no empathy) for those who have been through the failure of a long term relationship or divorce in this country. Divorce is expensive, and why many remain legally separated only. And many, many, people - having been through a legal separation/divorce once - don't want to go there again.

That's not to say they want to spend the rest of their lives alone. They may go on to form new LT relationships, even have second families with new partners, but don't want to marry again. So no, they're not "anti-marriage". They just don't want it for themselves.

You also obviously don't understand the law in relation to property and cohabitating couples either.

My daughter was mine from a previous relationship and my partner also had his own child from a previous relationship. I wanted to safe guard my property (which I bought as a single person) for my daughter should anything happen to me. If I had married him (or cohabitated for 5 years) it would have given him an automatic claim on my property. So, again, it's not that I am anti-marriage, I have nothing against it, but I chose to prioritise safeguarding the roof over my daughter's head and her future security, over getting married - something which he agreed with.

And most importantly, neither of us felt we needed to marry each other to prove to anyone else or the outside world that we were committed to each other. It wasn't a lack of commitment that separated us, it was a tragic accident which took him from us.

You need to expand your mind, and look beyond your own limited frame of reference. Because quite frankly, your view that couples who don't want to marry can't be as committed to each other as the relationship you are in, is ridiculous.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Likewise.

I personally believe there is no greater bond, than that of a parent and their child.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Noone is canpaigning to abolish marriage - your whole anti marriage/against marriage shtick makes zero sense.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

They are not allowed be against marriage? I disagree with them, but calling it shtick is your problem.

You do know the world doesn't revolve around you?

• Advertisement

The claim that if you support formal recognition of non marital families you are "anti marriage" is beyond ridiculous. This is really silly trying to claim lots of people are "anti marriage" when that's absolute nonsense.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I didn't mention anything about friends, don't know where that came out of.

Some people may decide not to marry because they feel it is expected of them. Far too many people are getting married for show, and because it's what people like you expect them to do.

Really, why do we need a church wedding or a civil marriage to show 2 people are committed to each other?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Apart from dividing fellow contributers , what is your point?

Marriage, ye/neh or meh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

This is a pretty simple scenario. Imagine, I am in a long term committed relationship but I do not want to or feel that I can make a lifetime commitment to my partner. Not only would be into marriage but I would be into marriage in the strictest sense.

Yet another swing and a miss Anna. Indeed no one is campaigning to abolish marriage. Thats precisely the point I made in the post you quoted.

Terry Pratchet

Do us a all a favour Anna. Show were anyone has made such a claim. I know I certainly made no such claim.

If you could start answering the points that actually have been raised rather than arguing against things you have made up, it would be so much more useful for the rest of us.

You don't know where that came out of? Perhaps go read the post of mine that you quoted and replied to, where you said "that works for you".

Again lots of talking, yet no concrete example of "why not". Is it just as simple as "it a divorce is (rightly) a pain in the ass, so I wont lock myself in, just in case this relationship that I am totally committed to, doesnt pan out."?

Advertisement