Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"average Dublin house prices should fall to ‘the €300,000 mark" according to Many Lou McD.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I don't know who's looking for free housing. It's never been free. Social housing has always been a percentage of what you can afford.

Could it be that standards and regulations are too high now? There should be housing on the market that you can buy on a living wage, whatever about minimum wage.

They won't have things like double glazing or even much in the way of insulation, the inner doors would be basically made of cardboard, but a bet a family that's currently living in a hotel or a couple living with parents would bite your hand off for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I dont have any. You made the comparison. Why did you bother post that comparison in the first place when you dont have data to allow you to manage the variables?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's actually not. Some people are like that. But it is the oblivious generation that the Americans call the boomers.....got set up and handed things for next to nothing by their previous generation and immediately set about how to change the rules to permanently ride on the backs of the ones coming after them.

Article here that was published in the IT (but is behind a paywall there)

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Now you are acting exactly like MLMD and the rest of SF.

Dumping a link and not explaining it in the context of what we are talking about.

Where did that link come from?

Is that household income?

Did you even look or did you just google and find a tweet that you think made some point and just post it?

Thats irrelevant.

So tell us the detail here. You posted it as proof of "something". Detail, detail, detail. Dont just google and link dump. ~Thats what SF doi.

• Advertisement

I give up. What you have done is a prime example of what everyone in this thread says tat MLMD and SF do. And the funny think is that you dont even realize it and think that its perfectly normal.

What are you giving up about? It's plain as day that the ratio between house price and income needs to fall.

I don't know how anyone can dispute that.

Post edited by Flaneur OBrien on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Based on recent form a lot of people are starting to see the issues behind the noise with Sinn fein

I said it years ago but an election and a manifesto from Sinn Fein might crumble their vote outside the hardcore

Sweeping comments we see all the time from SF supporters.

It’s almost as if SF are trying to tell everyone that anyone 20-40 will only vote SF. Delusional

The delusion is telling yourself that those issues are not real issues.

I could never see myself personally voting for them. That doesn't mean I am incapable of recognising other people's issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,680 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Concrete, steel, glass and timber are the same here and in GB.

If an apt can be sold there for way less than here, we should know why.

We need an informed debate. Comparisons help the debate.

VAT is 13.5% here, but no VAT in the UK, that is one reason.

I'm told that building standards / regs are lower there?

As said, i dont know why. You posted it like it was some kind of surprise that build costs in two different countries would be different

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Actually standards / regulation are higher in UK, as we saw during the Mica scandal, the apartment blocks here (eg Priory hall ) etc.

Here we are taxed more though eg vat on buildings here, no vat on houses in UK. The price of cars is higher here than in UK, so if a tradesman wants to buy a motor ( who dies not ) he is paying so much more here. A pint is dearer here / more excise duty.

They are a G7 economy ....after the scandal of the National childrens hospital are you not surprised costs are higher here? And the possible incoming government wants the government to build houses with the same cost effectiveness and efficiency it built the nationals Childrens hospital - the most expensive in the world, per bed?

And the new Minister for Finance we could get either could not or did not complete his course in Letterkenny I.T. ( or whatever it is called)?

My God.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Grenfell Tower Fire? HS2 is running about £50bn+ and the parts that would make it useful have been cancelled and for inexplicable reasons, the government are now selling off the land they already CPO'd for it. I could go on but suffice to say, we're not the only country that does stuff like this.

I didnt say they are not real.

I just said the comment is sweeping as if it is every person from 20-40. Which is wrong.

i have yet to find a person on boards pushing the Sinn Fein agenda and admit they are a Sinn Fein supporter

Almost as if they are hiding it

That would have the opposite effect. There are already thousands of bed spaces beside many of the Uni and I0T in the country, from Cork to Limerick to Galway to Sligo etc. There are only a finite amount of builders, tradesmen in the country. Students can live at home and commute if necessary to the nearest I.T. or Uni, or go in to digs etc. Builders are needed to build houses and apartments for young families etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If only someone had gone to the bother of working it out and posting the result for all to see!

Of course houses from that period are going to be worth more. Exactly how many houses have been built in that estate since you left?

I'll wager that outside of a few side garden plots, bugger all. Its almost like there is some sort of finite resource (for ease of understanding lets make up a term for this...lets call it "land") and coupled with this finite resource there is this other "thing" happening...lets call that "demand". There is a breakdown between the "supply" and the "demand" for this "land"

I'm sure someone smarter than me can come up with some sort of pithy 1 liner using some of terms I have defined above.

A couple of ways to achieve that ratio reduction.

Off the top of my head:

1) Earn more

2) Buy a cheaper house outside of the area with the highest demand.

3) Blame it on everyone else and demand "they" give you a cheap house exactly where you want to live.

• Advertisement

How many family homes are currently occupied by students?

I would guess that the typical demographic on boards.ie is slightly older than the TikTok generation

If you read through the previous 643 posts you should be able to work out how you would be getting a much worse outcome in several years time if you vote S.F.

I know you mean your response as a tongue in cheek remark, however, I feel the need to point out that that graph was national...

But still

Earn more: grand. What if you can't? What if you're a childcare worker? Or work in a coffee shop? Sure, you can retrain, but we'll still need more childcare workers and waiting staff...

But a cheaper house outside the area with the highest demand.

Grand. I hate this argument the most. People have put down roots for millennia. Usually in a fairly small locale (20 mile radius or thereabouts) but this argument means that children get raised far away from grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins etc. "it takes a village to raise a child", just not in modern Ireland apparently. I live on the other side of Ireland from where I was born because it's what I could afford. I've lost friends, community, my family don't get to see my daughter anywhere near what we wanted, but sure, that's the price to pay to have a roof over your head. Madness.

Lastly: Blame it on everybody else and demand "they" give you a cheap house exactly where you want to live.

Firstly, how does that bring down the ratio reduction?

But seriously, never have I said that. There should be more social housing, in all areas. (Blackrock/Dalkey, I'm looking at you!) There should be social developments consisting of 1,2,3+ bed housing, so people can grow families, and move into smaller units once the families have left. People shouldn't be forced to leave the area they grew up in because they can't afford to live there anymore.

Because you were disputing claims of a lot of under 40's voting for SF and used your experience of boards.ie posters not admitting to be SF supporters as some kind of evidence that that was not the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I always think this.

You shouldn't have places like Foxrock/Ballsbridge and Jobstown/Darndale in the same city.

Neighborhoods should be as mixed as possible.

I know people pay lots of money to live in these areas but I think it would be a better city for everyone.

The only benefit of the housing crisis is inner suburbs like Crumlin, Drimnagh, Cabra, Tallaght are gentrifying a bit, or at least becoming very mixed.

I think most of the very deprived areas will be on the edges like Darndale, Jobstown, West Finglas.

Some of us can do basic sums.

Taking the cost as claimed so that the current cost is 1:10 vis-a-vis the ratio between the 1995 cost and the 2023 cost, then adjusting for inflation is 1.8:10

What is your issue or difficulty with that? The 1.8 is from the CSO. The 1:10 is what was given on here. The subsequent complaint was that the 1:10 did not adjust for inflation.

Are you talking about something completely different? Is it the 10X you are disputing? I made it clear I was taking that as given and adjusting for inflation.

You shouldn't have places like Foxrock/Ballsbridge and Jobstown/Darndale in the same city.

I agree. The latter two should be shipped down, brick by brick, to Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Interesting point.

I think what gets forgotten often too is that the people paying this much for houses typically won't have much to spend after in other areas.

It's going to have a long-term impact on the rest of the economy.

Personally I think a figure of 300k is probably too much even as an average.

I'd say around 200k should be closer to the actual value of labour and materials that would go into building an average house.

Too many middle men and subcontractors making too much profit.

Advertisement