Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So you are asking me to imagine a scenario where you are committed, but just not that committed and certainly not forever?

Thank you for at least attempting to reply to the question I have asked.

But can you not accept that what you are describing, is a lack of commitment? Hiding it behind euphemisms like "just not for them" doesn't change what it is. If you were in a loving, trusting relationship, why would you feel that your child would somehow be less safe if something happened to you? I 100% wouldnt enter in a long term relationship, marriage or not where I didnt trust that my partner would treat my kids like their own in the event of something happening to me!

Note that I have zero problem with people not getting married. Someone already said it, but far too many people get married for all the wrong reasons and indeed have children for similar wrong reasons. But if you are not getting married, just be honest and say the reason is that you aren't sure that you are willing to work on and persevere with the relationship for ever?

I have very close experience with divorce actually, but don't blame divorce and the breakdown of the relationship on the choice to get married. You don't blame your umbrella when it rains. Divorce is rightfully a complicated and drawn out process. If it wasnt then what would be the point of entering into the legal contract of marriage? Sure there are some situations where divorce could and should be made smoother/faster. But not just becuase two people changed their minds when life got too real.

And this is where we get to the crux of the problem. By campaigning in favour of the referendum you are indeed diluting marriage, becuase you want to bestow the exact same opportunities onto unmarried couples as you do onto married ones, yet, its plain to see that those who chose to remain unmarried are doing so purely for insurance for when the relationship breaks down.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The whole point of the legislation is to give extra rights and responsibilities for couples who don't want to get married. So voting yes means people want more responsibility, not less.

I gave my reasons why some people wouldn't want to get married. Its a principle many people have, pretty concrete to me. If you aren't prepared to take on reasons why others don't get married that is your closed mindedness.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I knew I shouldn't have bothered wasting my time giving you the benefit of the doubt, as you clearly are just closed minded when it comes to anything beyond your own perspective.

BTW, I haven't campaigned for anything or told anyone how to vote, I've just given my view, based on my experience, and I will vote accordingly.

What is more important to me is that in all the years I spent raising my child as a single parent, she and I were not legally classed as a "family" in our own right.

If you feel that giving legal recognition to my family, (which is what we are) somehow dilutes your marriage and your family, then that is your hangup, not mine.

I'm out, on this subject.

Actually I dont beleive you gave any reasons at all, other than rewording the same excuses everyone else has given.

The closest you came was "Some people may decide not to marry because they feel it is expected of them" which takes all of 2seconds of analysis to see is no answer at all for an adult to give. Very similar to Annas " Waaahh, becuase I dont want to!"

• Advertisement

So I'm closed minded because I wont roll over on marriage yet your are totally open minded because you refuse to accept my points. Seems legit alright.

For what its worth, I have zero problem with a single parent child or grandparents + child being classified as "a family". However I wouldn't include your partner or their child(ren) in your family. If you want them to be included as a single family, then get married.

I have a real problem with couples who could get married, but refuse to, yet want the same rights & recognitions as those who did make the legal commitment to each other and the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Fully committed, just can't promise forever. An honest person would not get married in this situation.

I'd strongly argue that committed effectively means forever unless there are extreme extenuating circumstances.

I would also point out that if its not forever, then you shouldnt get the same rights over your spouses children/property as you would if you were married. You are openly saying (which is your right) that you are not committed forever, so then just continue to live together casually and if at some point you feel comfortable with making a forever commitment, then get married. But you are 100% correct to not get married if in the back of your mind you accept that this relationship might not be forever. However, with the acceptance of that fact has to be the corollary that you are not a single family in the eyes of the state. By all means be 2 families living together, but not 1 family, as you would be if you were married. I have no problem with that, and I appreciate your honestly in answering the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Some people just don't want to get married. It's as simple as that really.

Some folks don't like the idea of the pomp and ceremony of a wedding day, others may not like the religious connections or historical connections to how women were viewed as part of a marriage contract. A lot of people (including married people) see the expectations of a big wedding day here a waste of money.

There are lots of reasons people don't want to get married. It's just not important to many. I still don't see how this means those people are any less committed in their relationships?

Personally (as a married person) I see having a child with someone as far more of a commitment than marriage if you want to go down the 'acts that can never be reversed' route.

• Advertisement

You are talking about a religious ceremony in a church, since the start I have talked about a civil ceremony in a registry office. Takes about 30 minutes and costs feck all.

"some people just dont want to" is not an answer I'm afraid. Why dont they want to? Can you still not give a reason?

Getting married costs nothing, takes 30 mins and is essentially just a legal contract that the state uses to recognize your commitment. So far the only reason not to get married is that getting a divorce can be painful and expensive. If you are more worried about divorce I would argue that perhaps you arent as committed as you think you are?

btw, part of the reason you arguably "should" be married before having kids is that the kids benefit from the legal commitment you made to stay with each other. Its got feck all to do with piety and religious claptrap, its about having a stable environment to raise the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

For what its worth, I have zero problem with a single parent child or grandparents + child being classified as "a family".

Yet you're here arguing against a referendum that would grant them that recognition.

Because "marriage".

Enough said.

If that were the case then fine, but I'm afraid its not. I would strongly be in favour of recognising single parent/grandparent families as "a real family" in the states eyes, but not people co-habiting.

Just because I am not in favour of all parts of the referendum doesnt mean I am against them all either. Nothing is ever that simple I'm afraid. I wont just blindly vote yes on all the changes if I dont agree with them all, would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's a case of having your cake and eating it. Wanting the best of both worlds - a stable relationship but with the option to just walk out the door when it doesn't suit anymore. And they want us to give this type of arrangement equality in the constitution with the legal obligations of marriage. Won't wash.

Master of the Universe

I can't tell you why people don't want to get married as I am married and wanted to get married, so you're asking the wrong person.

Believe it or not though, people don't have to give you detailed answers as to why they want and don't want to do things. 'Sorry, I don't want to do that' is a perfectly reasonable response to being asked to do something.

As an aside, anyone who enters any kind of legal contract without looking at all potential outcomes (ie in the case of marriage, divorce) is a moron. Anything can happen in life. To think your relationship is 100% set in stone forever is childish nonsense.

If the cost and effort of a divorce is one of the primary drivers of not getting married then you need to accept that you are not in a committed relationship, you are dating someone.

"My daughter was mine from a previous relationship and my partner also had his own child from a previous relationship. I wanted to safe guard my property (which I bought as a single person) for my daughter should anything happen to me. If I had married him (or cohabitated for 5 years) it would have given him an automatic claim on my property. So, again, it's not that I am anti-marriage, I have nothing against it, but I chose to prioritise safeguarding the roof over my daughter's head and her future security, over getting married - something which he agreed with."

I understand your position, but you were choosing not to get married to your new partner or establish cohabitating obligations to him to protect your investments for your own child. That's hardly the basis for a 'durable relationship'.

There are going to be multiple situations like this presented to the Irish public in due course. And given that the electorate is generally conservative on matters regarding property and inheritance etc., it will surely play safe and stick to what it knows.

"s an aside, anyone who enters any kind of legal contract without looking at all potential outcomes (ie in the case of marriage, divorce) is a moron. Anything can happen in life. To think your relationship is 100% set in stone forever is childish nonsense."

In that case, very few couples would get married. Very few contracts would be made in business etc. It's the nature of humans to size things up and then make the best decision they can at the time. It requires a thing called trust, which is very valuable. And the basis of any relationship whether in business, politics or personal life. Marriage is a mechanism to legally recognise that trust/ commitment which couples make for the benefit of each other and any children they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There's no point discussing this with you if you are just going to belittle and ignore replies and continue soapboxing. This isn't a debate never mind a discussion, more a boring, repetitive monologue.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Being married doesn't stop anyone walking out the door.

marriages end every day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Yes, it's just in the case of walking on a marriage you a breaking your word, if you never get married I guess you still have your word, for whatever that's worth

Master of the Universe

Any time I hear someone say something like 'having your cake and eating it' in this type of conversation I can't help but picture a spiteful oul lad shouting on a corner that nobody cares to listen to.

'I had to do XYZ to get these rights and I'll be damned if I let anyone else have it easier than me!'

The reason its boring and repetitive is that all you guys are doing is coming up with different ways to say "because I don't want to". There is no discussion possible with such a reply as there is nothing to it. Its a pointless (literally it has no point), childish response.

Have an adult debate and actually give a reason and maybe the conversation will go somewhere!

There is a little more to it if you are married, hence the "argument" that people dont get married because divorce is hard and expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

It's funny that you ask for an adult debate when all you're doing is stamping your feet and saying, "Waaah give me a reason why!"

Some people just don't want to get married, and they don't have to give a reason why not.

Sorry pal, but that's life.

Lol. the irony of you asking for a debate and yet refusing to defend your point. Watch any debate and see how often the winning side relies on "because I don't feel like it".

I'm not stamping anything, merely asking you to defend your position, but you are incapable becuase to do so would be to admit a lack of commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

But that's not really true actually. Currently law on cohabitants doesn't always give you to just walk out the door with no responsibility etc.

There is a redree scheme for long term cohabitants

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Why do you think you have a right to dictate to anyone what relationship they enter into or what form they take and that they should give up on following their happiness because you don’t feel comfortable about it. Seems like you have a great sense of entitlement there!

• Advertisement
Advertisement