Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭amandstu

I think support is fairly high(unless it has plummeted in the past short while).The only way forward I can see is for the IDF to break the back of Hamas and for there to be an election in Israel

(or a unity government where those responsible for this latest mess voluntarily take a back seat)

that removes Net et al from power.

Then the illegal settlements would have to be returned and some way of governing Gaza that did not present a military threat to Israel.( a UN mandate again with Egypt this time?)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,156 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Far from breaking their back, Hamas are going to come out of this stronger than they have ever been imo.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Well they can be physically defeated in Gaza I believe.

Of course you cannot defeat a belief system unless you act like Stalin in Russia but a physical defeat of Hamas and its terrorist allies could provide a breathing space for new arrangements.

This is existential for Israel.

They are hopefully taking as many precautions as possible to limit civilian casualties but this is a war and we cannot expect them to value the lives of those on the other side as highly as they value their own and that of their own population.

Altruism and warfare don't rhyme.

Israel and Palestine will never be peaceful neighbours. And anything that looks like peace will be one side preparing to attack the other i.e. October 7th attacks.

Also I don't agree with EU funding Palestine, it just turns the place into a rabbit farm. If people have a normal day job, it will make people conform to society norms i.e. no population explosion, no time for digging tunnels, no time for been radicalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Who would Hamas's terrorist allies be and how would Israel defeat them?

They are simply not taking as many (any) precautions as possible to limit civilian causalities. Benji and Biden both acknowledged that.

But people on here still believe they are.

It's a painful watch, but educational: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/21/world/middleeast/israel-gaza-bomb-investigation.html

If you deliberately drop 2000lb bombs on civilian areas there's absolutely zero justification other than cause shock and awe and kill 100's of civilians. And this in one of the most densely populated placed on the planet. It's simply indefensible.

• Advertisement

Hard to get figures, but US airstrikes in Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria killed 22k civilians over 20 years.

Remember when there was worldwide outrage over US drone strikes killing a half dozen civilians, we're way past those days now.

Israel manged 20k in less than 3 months (~280 a day vs the US ~3 per day)

A dumb bomb is still less accurate than a smart bomb. And there's no system available to drop dumb bombs accurately in a densely populated city, especially with 2000lb bombs. Dive bombing would actually be more accurate as you driving the bomb into the direction the plane is diving to.

You asked how many was too many, for the US it was 22k spread over 20 years in 3 countries. For Israel, and their supporters on here 20k in 70 days is still not enough. That's 1% of the Gaza Strip population dead and another 0.5% buried under the rubble. Based on previous wars, the deaths from lack of food, water and medical aid will dwarf those figures.

"Who would Hamas's terrorist allies be and how would Israel defeat them?"

I don't know who their allies would be apart from the obvious ones.

Israel doesn't seem to have a plan beyond the present war.

It imay not be surprising that they had no such plan as they must have thought they had no alternative to do what they did and paid little heed to the consequences afterwards.

If they were 100% confident in the outcome then ,yes they should be planning for what follows.

Maybe they are not confident and have not formed a plan in their own minds for the day after.

Would they have a unified approach anyway?

Has the Israeli political opposition a voice at present in any debate as what arrangements could be found if or when Hamas' hold on Gaza is broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Ignacius

The racism from Jews is so sad.

saying they are breeding like a rabbit farm. Calling them animals. The Zionists have lost their collective minds. They are a danger to the world.

Somebody said Israel was always defensive. How is it defensive to illegally seize the land of other breaking international law?

• Advertisement

I said that and I'm not Jewish. It's not racism to say a people are breeding like rabbits. But you like to play the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,590 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's kind of a weird thing to say, when Israel's population has consistently grown at a similar, but slightly faster, rate to Palestines over the past 30 years.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

The ultra orthotdox Jews are reproducing like rabbits, but they contribute very little to the economy. The women are not well educated, they are expcted to have a traditional life, marry early and have alot of children. They live off the government. The liberal Jews who contribute alot to the economy are on the decline. We are supporting Palestines traditional way of life by all the aid we are sending, otherwise they would need to develop an economy and have friendly relations with their neighbours so they can trade with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,590 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Perhaps actually allowing them to trade, by removing the extremely stringent and prohibitive regulations and roadblocks by air land and sea that have been imposed by Israel for decades, would have been a good step in that case.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It's unidirectional? Hamas aren't defending themselves? They've stopped aggressively launching rockets? That'd stop the fighting for sure. Try again.

Uhh, Israel are killing Hamas fighters. Not sure where you get this delusion. Plus imprisoning them (remember the hue and cry about the photos of the stripped prisoners?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

Actually it's nothing like the Vietnam war. For one thing, the VC were not the government of South Vietnam. They were an actual irregular force. Hamas relationship with Gaza is closer to that of the Nazis to Germany, or other "traditional" wars. I.E. they are government forces.

Also, none of the Vietnamese were a mortal enemy of the US, the Vietnamese Communists were clear that once the US left, that was the end of it. Also Vietnam was nowhere near the US on the map. The opposite is true in Gaza, Israel's problems with Gaza began when they left and Hamas have made it clear that their quarrel is a fight to the death.

This conflict is the exact opposite of the US-Vietnam War in every conceivable respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭volchitsa

You say "Even Obama in Syria" as though setting conditions like that were the reasonable thing to do and that even the cruel warlord Obama did that.

That's a complete misrepresentation both of Obama and of that particular action, which was said at the time by military analysts to be a mistake, because it was such a hostage to fortune, and which of course - as predicted by anyone who had a clue - to be untenable. Far from being a warlord, Obama showed up his own (and his army's) weaknesses there. Israel would be badly advised to copy him.

Do you have any evidence that the Allies had some sort of "idea of the number of civilians they were willing to accept" before they felt they'd have to ceasefire, thereby letting the Nazis win??

I've never heard of any such calculation existing.

In fact I know that in occupied France, where the Nazi occupiers prioritised their solders' safety over that of the civilians (rather like Hamas in Gaza, except Hamas are supposed to be on the same side as Gazans) the death rates from the Allied bombing raids over cities like Brest, Lorient or Toulon were far higher per capita than London. IOW they were bombing people they were also fighting to free - and nobody protested there that there were too many deaths. Neither before nor after.

So I think you're just making that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

According to the Times of Israel 8,000 Hamas fighters have been killed since the start of the war.

• Advertisement

Clearly you don't though. What have you had to say about (for instance) Saudi Arabia killing Yemenis? Or deaths in Sudan/Southern Sudan? Thousands dead - how many civilians were acceptable to you there? Have you even posted about any of that, pre Oct 7th?

You're also just making stuff up about previous wars having had a theoretical "acceptable" number of dead civilians, so as to hold the Jews to a standard that nobody else is held to.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,295 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

NY Times piece with conclusive evidence of savage and indiscriminate use of 2000lbs bombs by Israel in densely populated areas of South Gaza that it had encouraged civilians to flee to.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/21/world/middleeast/israel-gaza-bomb-investigation.html

I’m sure we’ll now be told that the NYT is also an opponent of Israel, even though it has been running constant Oct 7th narratives for the past 10 weeks.

Israel’s behaviour is not in keeping with Western values and they should not be entitled to a blank cheque of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

The "hue and cry" as you call it was around the fact that not all of those humiliated men were Hamas combatants.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

gameoverdude threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

"In a New York Times public opinion survey this week, only 33% of registered American voters approved of the president's handling of the Israel-Palestinian conflict. A plurality, 44% to 39%, said Israel should end its military campaign."

full article:

I have pointed out how those concerned with double tap bombings in Syria were largely silent about Saudi Arabia doing the same thing. This wasn't just left wing people doing it but also people on the right. Was it because of who was arming the Saudis? it seems to me some people are keen to point out the double standards they see in the left , but not of people on the right. Is that due to bias?

I suspect it is because how else are they able to laud a man like Kissinger while claiming to be disgusted by the deaths of civilians- only if they are killed in the name of the wrong ideology it seems

the reality is nearly everyone is guilty of double standards when it comes to world affairs - look at the Indonesian Government, what right have they to lecture anyone about killing civilians and Genoicide. The Russians and so on...

Does this then justify a country, you view as liberal and pro western in its outlook , having to be told by its main backer to do much better in safeguarding the lives of civilians in Gaza. The look over there excuse is a poor one and rather childish. I don't subscribe to the view that the IDF is actually committing genocide in Gaza, but certainly they have shown a reckless disregard for the lives of civilians in Gaza. You fall back on the its all Hamas fault to absolve the Israeli Government of any blame. I disagree, the harsh reality is both the likes of Bibi and Hamas have little concern for Palestinian civilians. Bibi was happy enough to prop Hamas up until it backfired on him. If there is any justice he will see the inside of a prison cell at some stage, but a deal will probably be done whereby he gets immunity.

I'm not sure what you mean. It's not about "look over there", it's about pointing out double standards. And they are double standards, and only apply to Jews. Make of that what you will.

I agree by the way about Netanyahu - way before the Hamas attacks I was hoping he'd end up in prison. Not just for his rejection of the two-state solution but also that.

But Hamas are propping him up too. In fact it looks to me like Hamas prefer having someone like him in power than someone who actually wants peace.

Yes, but it reinforces my point that Hamas are indeed being attacked by the IDF. The OP I was responding to, said the IDF is just attacking civilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think it's more complicated than that. Many observers are of the opinion that the IDF are also quite deliberately attacking the Gazan population (a repeat of Dresden etc) nothing to do with collateral damage. Yes, they are indeed trying to wipe out Hamas and kill all its members, but a far more sinister element is that they may be deliberately attempting to terrorise the entire Gazan population : 'put manners on them' so to speak.

• Advertisement

They both have needed each other, that's the irony. The look over there is about people justifying what's going on in Gaza by pointing out bad things happen elsewhere as a deflection tactic. Does a judge direct a jury to absolve someone on the basis that some one else may have committed a graver offense. I think the reason this conflicts gets so much scrutiny is because It's so divisive. I think most people would agree about Sudan and Ethiopia , so there isn't the scope for polarisation of a views there. It doesn't automatically mean they don't care about people dying there. No doubt there is some anti semiitism involved in criticism of Israel but it's disingenous to claim all criticism of Israel is due to anti semitism.

Advertisement