Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 NFL regular season thread (no picks)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Even if Fields is doing better now, is he doing it at a level where he is worth the Bears having to pay him soon? I am skeptical.

I'm sure this is probably discussed to death on the Bears side but the issue with a rookie QB, especially an elite one, is if you have a defensive HC then you're always at risk your OC will be poached which generally disrupts their development. When that defensive HC has a warm seat before they even draft then you're setting yourself up even worse, by potentially having the whole coaching set-up change during their key development years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

You're describing the history of the bears in a nutshell. Always changing one piece at a time and so very often addicted to the idea of a strong defensive side, which is where most of the resources continue to go even as they let go of homegrown stars like roquan.

As for the main question, whether Fields is good enough, I dunno. Sometimes I think he's getting hamstrung by a bad play caller. He does have plenty of skill and can make amazing throws. But he is a little slow to make his reads and that gets him in trouble (not helped by the constant rotation of mediocre centers I admit but he has had a serviceable o line most of this year). He doesn't throw many interceptions but he's not a safe pair of hands when he's hit either. I dunno, I think you have a situation now where we have lucked into an incredible draft pick and if you like a QB you go for him but it's also a unique chance to build a really strong roster if you have faith in Fields going forward.

The word going around is we are moving on, although some think that's a screen to drive up the price of the first in a trade.

If I'm betting, I think we do take Williams, drop Fields, keep eberflus and fire getsy. Whether that's the right path I don't know. If Williams is as good as everyone thinks he is (when I watched him this year he absolutely wasn't, looked a shambles against ND, but I know **** all about it) then it's obviously the right move. If not it's just another round of the rollercoaster we've been on since Trubisky was drafted.

Ravens will go 3-0 to finish the season and win the Superbowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,497 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I didn't have the Dolphins as Superbowl contenders all season long but their defense, which is very talented, seems to be getting it's act together. They have the best offense in football, if that D does it's thing they won't be stopped. They are my pick at this stage.

Obviously too early to be sure about anybody. Tagovailoa has had his injuries in previous seasons, same with Lamar. The 49ers have been cursed with QB injuries for a long number of years now.

Obviously if the Eagles get back to where they were at for most of the season they can go all the way. I still think the Lions are dangerous. Having Javonte Williams to compliment St. Brown and I thinks it's now called Rhythm and Bruise in the backfield they are very balanced on offense and have a much improved defense too.

The Bills are back to their best, that mid-season slump has likely cost them big. It's very hard to go all the way on the road.

• Advertisement

Yes, win or lose the Superbowl this season I think we should move on with Mike MacDonald as head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Week 16 TV Fixtures

An octet of varying interest. Pity that Sky aren't showing a few of the Christmas Day fixtures on their 'free' stations, would surely help gain a few converts.

I'll be recording Miami/Dallas and SanFran/Baltimore with the plan to watch them on Stephens Day. See how well I run at avoiding spoilers.

Saturday

Bengals at Steelers 9.30pm Sky Sports

Late Saturday/Sunday am

Bills at Chargers 01.00am Sky Sports

Sunday (Christmas Eve)

Browns at Texans 6pm Sky Sports

Cowboys at Dolphins 9.25pm Sky Sports

Late Sunday/Monday am

Patriots at Broncos 01.15am Sky Sports

Monday (Christmas Day)

Raiders at Chiefs 6pm Sky Sports

Giants at Eagles 9.30pm Sky Sports

Late Monday/Tuesday am

Ravens at 49ers 01.15am Sky Sports and Channel 5 UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

I like Collingsworth and all but why are they so loud and the crowd and game noise so faint?

or is just because I’m in Now Tv?

its hard to engage with the game

It was only Sky that was like that, any other channel.it was on had normal crowd volume.

Bills got very lucky tonight. They were poir but the Chargers were worse

• Advertisement

GO PACK GO!!!

Jesus the Packers nearly made a mess of our number one pick. That's our job.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

In the end the Panthers got the loss but at the same time the Packers looked like clowns. Can't ask for more than that.

Stayed up for the late game last night which was worthwhile. Became a proper game in the 2nd half and the Pats kicker against the odds nails the game winning FG. Thought Payton made an absolute balls of it with the timeouts he called on the game winning drive. I'd understand taking a TO if they stuffed the run on 1D, but Zeke picked up 5 or 6. Just let it go at that point and take it to OT.

Just need the Panthers to lose to the Jags or Bucs now to secure 1.01.

Looking forward to this late game. Two great teams. This game could decide the MVP.

Unbelievable stuff earlier. Patrick Mahomes looked like a poor QB, never thought I'd ever see that. It's not in him, awful group of wide receivers. I hear them talking up Rashee Rice, he doesn't look in anyway special to me.

Eagles looked really good in the first half before nearly blowing it up. Got it done but there's still big question marks about them.

Lamar penalised for intentional grounding in the end zone and that means it's a safety.

The official fell over in the end zone age Lamar tripped over him and threw the ball away before he went to ground.

Surely there's some rule somewhere in the rule book about an official impeding the play. I was expecting it to be called a no play.

Don't get me wrong I'm delighted, I have never and will never like the Ravens. It just seems to me a little crazy that what happened there is considered an acceptable part of a play.

It must get well have been a safety even if that hadn't happened.

Kittle potentially going to have his biggest receiving yardage in a game. He's got 91 at the end of the first quarter. 5-3 49ers

Purdy has two interceptions already, not a good night for him so far.

Three picks on Purdy now. 10-5 Ravens and they have the ball at the San Fran 20.

Of the three MVP candidates in this game the one making a serious case for it is Christian McCaffrey, he's got 101 rushing and receiving yards and a touchdown. Purdy has 3 picks and no passing tds, Lamar has no tds, no picks. He improved his stats on the final drive of the half.

16-12 Ravens at halftime.

TD Ravens, Agholor. 23-12 Ravens. Looking like the race for no.1 in the NFC is wide open again.

• Advertisement

On mahomes it's also worth remembering who his coordinator is, an inept clown. I don't know who's to blame, but if I was putting money on the question, I wouldn't look past Matt Nagy.

And pick no. 4 by Purdy. He's having an awful night.

And a Flowers TD, 30-12 Ravens.

Well I'm not defending Nagy but the biggest portion of the blame imo is with whoever left him with a bunch of inept receivers.

You can have any clown as coordinator if Mahomes has receivers.

Shocking QB performance, he is the most up and down QB in the league

33-19 final.

Purdy was taken out after going into the tent for a concussion check. He cleared it but Darnold stayed in. Darnold looked good for a while. I'm pretty certain it wasn't a case of a performance related benching of Purdy. I'd be confident that it was for protection with the game over.

Niners might be in a bit of bother going forward, they exhausted their offensive line depth due to injuries. They could be in bad shape for a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

This Joe Flacco thing is great fun to watch, give him the Comeback Player of the Year Award.

He'll deffo get that I'd imagine. He has to get something for what he's doing. Don't forget he's always been a better playoff QB than regular season.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The bookies still have Hamlin as the favourite, even though he’s only featured in a couple of games. I understand the sentiment but for actually playing football, it’s Flacco for me the way things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Week 17 TV Fixtures

Late Saturday/Early Sunday (today-ish)

Lions at Cowboys 01.15am Sky Sports

Sunday

Dolphins at Ravens 6pm Sky Sports

Bengals at Chiefs 9.25pm Sky Sports

Late Sunday/early Monday

Packers at Vikings 01.20am Sky Sports

The 6pm slot is fairly loaded with 10 games and plenty of teams on the cusp of the play-offs. Likes of Atlanta, Houston, Indy, Jacksonville, Buffalo. And an almost actual elimination game in NewOrleans/TampaBay. So might RedZone if the main game gets one-sided.

No Monday/Tuesday game, and can find no indication that Channel 5 UK have a different game to compensate.

• Advertisement

TD Montgomery to give the Lions a 10-7 lead. I'm all in on the Lions with my team out of the picture.

I hope they win this, still a chance of the no. 1 seed for them.

Very quiet first half, 7-3 Cowboys at halftime. Jimmy Johnson was celebrated as the newest Cowboys hall of fame inductee, don't know how it took so long for him to get in there. He's already in the pro football hall of fame.

Advertisement