Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"average Dublin house prices should fall to ‘the €300,000 mark" according to Many Lou McD.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So which party do you think would have or will make those changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I thought it quite obvious I was only giving some example costs.

Let's face it the cost of materials make up a relatively small amount of the 375k we now see for the average semi-d.

As for labour costs. I was quoted 5k recently by a local builder for what amounted to 2-3 days work.

The wages his tradesmen would have been paid, including holidays and prsi, about 800. Typical of some of the price gouging going on now.

https://connectunion.ie/new-electrical-contracting-industry-rates-of-pay/

I did the job myself in the end, might even put the results on my vlog. ;)

1) They can probably live in BallyBrack, I dont know why you think they should be able to live in one of the most affluent areas in the capital city?

2) I think I mentioned it already, but I'll say it again, there are more people living here now than when your parents and grandparents lived here but we are still using the same old 3 dimensional space to build in.

3) Say you dont start out looking for the state to provide you with a house in the area you grew up in. Say you take personal responsibility and make your own way in life, or, failing that, you accept that if you want to rely on the state for housing, that you have to take what you get, where you get it.

Why would anybody buy their own house if the state is giving them away anywhere you want to live?

Btw your little analogy is a great example of why its pie in the sky stuff. When you are busy applying for that 2 bed downsizing, you are blocking the next young couple from getting that same 2 bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

In this banana Republic? Non of them... but it shows how resistant to dealing with the problem they are, that they will accept large seat losses to maintain the status quo. They had to increase supply, but upping the amount that can be borrowed, does increase supply but even better for them, it also increases property prices. ..

Please don't go down the rabbit hole of nonsense with "status quo" and "fat cat bankers" and "money looks after money".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I'm not going to spend the night arguing with someone I have nothing in common with.

You cannot expect to have a good and long lasting community, if you don't have have a few generations of the same family living there. The councils and govt should realise that. That goes for supplying housing for younger people in Dalkey/Blackrock/Howth as much as it does supplying jobs in Mayo and Roscommon.

People should be welcome where they grew up and there should be a concerted effort to keep that going.

Anything else is just kicking a can down the road.

Well the average 3 bed semi in Ireland is over 100m2, so you havent actually built a house yet. You also have no plumbing or electricity, plaster, paint, carpet, heating, etc, etc. Giving example costs and then comparing them to the cost of a fully finished, 50% larger house is kinda pointless, no?

How many days did it take you? What would that have cost using your current salary rate? How much liability insurance did you setup while doing the job?

It will always be cheaper to do something yourself compared to paying a professional, but its not an apples to apples comparison, unless your solution is for everyone to build their own houses?

Sorry, what exactly did Mary Lou suggest to lower prices?

In that vein, I "suggest" that everyone earns more money. Boom problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Everywhere I have lived has had a good community without multiple generations of the same family living there. In fact everywhere I know that has what you desire has had nothing but anti-social behaviour issues.

Ok, lets imagine an estate with 100 houses to keep it easy. Where exactly do you want the kids of these 100 families to live? On average we will have about 200 kids looking for places to live. Where do we put those houses? Kinda seems like a some point, someone is going to have to live further away than they want to. And that new area will be encroaching on some other community at some point, increasing the problem.

Fast forward a few generations and you are where we are now. Its simply not possible to create what you desire forever.

It falls apart with even the most basic example, because, as I have said, land in an particular area is a finite resource.

• Advertisement

Semi-d will have shared walls, so even if 30sqm larger quite similar in terms of blocks, slates, insulation etc.

And yes of course there'll be more materials overall, but we're forever hearing certain industry figures telling us how much this or that material went up, as justification for proportionally far, far greater end price increases.

I've not talked anywhere about the price of doing things myself... I've given actual tradesmen's rates, against builders quotes to show how much profiteering is going on.

If you employed the trades yourself then you are managing the project yourself, a job your builder would be doing for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Ireland's house affordability (price v income index) is pretty close to the average of OECD countries. Better than NZ, Canada and Australia in this regard. Don't be expecting miracles if you are moving there to escape the 'housing crisis' here

House price relative to median income by country (OECD)

Portugal              147.99

Canada                140.23

United States    132.54

Czechia                131.08

Luxembourg     130.40

Netherlands      129.83

Austria                129.73

New Zealand     121.96

Australia             121.73

Switzerland       119.42

Spain                   119.39

OECD - Total      118.06

Estonia                116.60

Germany            116.11

Hungary              115.79

Greece                115.06

Norway                115.03

Japan                  114.58

Slovenia              114.23

Ireland                113.92

UK                        113.72

Chile                    113.54

Euro area            111.12

Euro area (17 countries)              110.37

Latvia                  107.78

France                102.74

Denmark            102.72

Lithuania             101.24

Belgium               100.67

Sweden                100.58

Croatia                99.69

Poland                94.98

South Africa       93.67

Italy                     89.32

Finland                86.25

So the 4k the builder would be adding to the price is for 'project managing' a 3 day job!

Like I said, profiteering, plain and simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

And did an engineer oversee it to ensure it meets building regulations?

Your example isn't relevant to building a house @MegamanBoo .

I know that of course there are other costs when building a house.

I'm giving examples of raw material costs because we keep hearing about how expensive these have gotten.

In reality they don't make up nearly as much of the cost of a house as people are led to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You don't have wall or ceiling insulation, slabbing, plastering, external render/brick, no fitted kitchen, utility room, sanitary ware in the now standard downstairs loo, ensuite and bathroom, tiling, plumbing, electrics, triple glazed windows and patio door, composite front door, central heating system, oven, hob, flooring, wired for an alarm. Even smaller things like smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. None of it is certified. These are all standard in a new build home.

If you want electricity you'll need an electrician and a certificate of compliance, gas heating you'll need a registered plumber etc. That's an additional cost.

Did you at least obtain planning permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

She didn't suggest anything yet but she at least recognized the costs were too high but as soon as that was stated publicly Varadkar didn't like it.This is exactly the problem, housing costs are too high, the government needs to accept this and try to reduce them , not to expect everyone to have to pay multiples of what previous generations did and think that this is ok. The younger generation have made much greater efforts to better themselves than previous generations and yet it still doesn't result in them having the same opportunity to own their own home, usually the whole point of a sensible society should be that if you work hard you get rewarded for it.Not everyone can get a better job or a promotion if that were the case you;d have a society full of management and nobody doing any work in any business.

I've just listed a number of ways to help the housing issue in my post above.

Housing needs to be classed as infrastructure, something that is necessary in order to for society to function properly like the roads, electricity, water system etc are.

You haven't suggested anything , your entire contribution to this debate has been tough **** just deal with it.This is a fairly important issue that has impacted and is going to impact the country in future years and yet their has been no proper attempt yet to solve it

Yeah, thats exactly what I said. Come back to us when you have public liability insurance, run payroll, health and safety, pensions, paye, etc, etc.

Can you give an example of when the younger generation have not had to pay multiple of what the older generation paid for the same house?

• Advertisement

No, my contribution (along with many others) has been to point out that its always been like this and always will be, for the umpteenth time, due to supply and demand for a limited resource. So to get around this, you need to improve your lot over what your parents had. If they were minimum wage workers and you are also a minimum wage worker, then you are not going to be able to compete with the many non minimum wage workers who also want to live where you want to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

The vast majority of people have improved their lot over their parents generation though.Almost everyone has better education and better job than their parents and sill this isn't enough.That is evidence that there is a problem that needs to be fixed.

People know it is a supply and demand issue, and have suggested this needs to be fixed.Once again you aren't making any point.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭MakersMark

No security when renting?

Irish tenants are the best protected in the world.

Non paying tenants can expect to enjoy 2 years free rent before a District Court will issue an eviction order.

Stop spreading fake news and cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

What’s in vogue today with Mary?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Thought she'd be more a Cosmpoliton lady. The only generation who had low house prices relative to their wage was the 1970s/80s. Sadly this then was at the price of a major part of that generation emigrating.

Again, you cant "fix" a supply and demand problem when you are dealing with a finite resource and people are unwilling to lower their expectations.

A limited resource. Youre right. This resource is purposely limited... funny covid etc hits and the dramatic action and money no object ... the housing excuse ?

Ok, so who is purposefully limiting the amount of land available for building on in, say Dalkey as was mentioned earlier?

lets say you wave your magic wand and every unoccupied site is made available and built on and its still not enough. Who will you blame then?

Its finite because there is never going to be any more land. Once you build a house on a plot thats it, there is now one less plot. Its not some great conspiracy by the fat cat bankers to keep the honest working man out of the housing market. Its just what happens when something is finite.

For anyone interested in why government love rip off property, take a look at the brilliant Australian documentary below... realestate4ransom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

My great aunt and uncle had social housing in Dalkey. They were called corporation homes back in the day.

Social housing should never, ever be sold off to the public, imo.

Advertisement