Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

[mod note]Please see a physio. This could be a medical issue

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I don't think working on getting to bodyweight bench, 1.5 bodyweight squat or twice bodyweight deadlift should necessarily interfere progressing in another sport, like park running or adventure running. If you're already close to those numbers, it will be easier, of course.

If you really had to choose, or prioritise them, personally I would say go with the lifting, unless you hate it.

There's just too much evidence these days as to the broad benefits of resistance training for health, it's hard to look past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Could definitely reach those numbers in lifting and some decent 10k times by training both only twice a week.

Lifting is not my main focus, have only lifted twice a week for years. BW Bench would be light warm for or a very high rep set.

I'd even say 1.5x Bench, 2x squat and 2.5x deadlift is achievable lifting twice a week. Will just take a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

Appreciate your perspectives, thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Cill94

I just think about what excites me the most really.

I like to think "where would I love my fitness to be at in a year's time?", and then work back from there to decide how I'm going to train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

thanks but I dont think so, not had any injury, and no other exercise, dips , pullups, normal/close pressups , oh press causes this. Lowering the height has worked so far so ill increment that over time and it might just work out the niggle , if not its just one of those things

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,490 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Fasted walking question...

So, I usually cycle quite a bit. But during the winter months my activity on the bike drops dramatically because I absolutely hate cycling in the winter. So, to offset the drop I tend to walk. I'll do 5 miles in about 1 hour 10 minutes and recently started to do it in the morning before I've eaten anything.

The thing is, sometimes I'm not able to do this first thing after I wake up, which I understand the to optimal time to do a fasted walk. For instance, I couldn't get away this morning until a couple of hours after I woke up. I still didn't eat anything before the walk.

So the question is, is my fasted walk 2+ hours after I awake the same as my fasted walk 20 minutes after I awake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The same in the same in what way?

If the distance/pace is the same it’s kinda of irrelevant when you woke up

its the same if you do the same distance and speed.

Why don’t you break into a jog if you’re looking to replace the cycling?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Interested in the walking discussion above. I’m 50 yrs old have a long history now of injuries Achilles tendon and knee mainly so have had to stop running. Have taken up walking would be doing 10k in about 1 hr 20 mins or thereabouts just wondering is walking any good for fitness and weight loss and control as an aid to a balanced diet. Thanks

• Advertisement

If you walk at pace, particularly on an incline, it can be a low impact way to burn calories that doesn't present a risk of injury, or affect other activities.

It's popular with bodybuilders and figure athletes, for example. Which is funny, when it's also associated with older people...

I used to walk for about 45 mins on a treadmill, on an incline, twice a week, om rest days, and I could burn 500 calories at an absolute minimum.

For reference, if I did an hour of really hard conditioning, it might burn 900, and that would take a lot of me for the next day.

So yes, walking has a utility for weight loss / calorie control and general health, for anyone. Incline is good, and a decent pace, however. You really do need to get to the point of sweating, and stay there for the duration.

Is that the same as "getting fit"? No, not if it's all you do. It will not develop signficiant cardio vascular endurance alone, unless you are coming in from a very low base. Best to mix it with resistance training and the odd more intense cardio workout.

Paired with dietary changes it can, and regularly is, enough for weight loss though.

I think the fasted early morning thing is myth though. I'd lean towards believing the calories expended is all that matters. Early morning is just convenient for busy people.

I am by no means an expert on any of this so take it with a pinch of salt. But from what I've read, aiming for a fast walk is a good way to maintain a certain fitness level. Trying to hit 7kmh, or thereabouts, seems to be the optimal point and may be better for you than jogging? And doing it before you eat anything is better for burning off fat reserves, according to some. But as said above, that could be a bit of a myth.

Again, I'll stress that I'm no expert in these matters and, frankly, there's a lot of conflicting information out there on all types of exercise and how effective they are.

It kills me too, so I cycle in the winter as well😂.

But if I wasn’t cycling I’d jog. Start with a couch to 5K. You’d be surprised how quickly you’ll improve

they/them/theirs

“Getting fit” is all about progressive overload. If you go out and walk 7km in an hour every day, you’ll be fit to walk 7km in an hour. You’ll get to a point where it doesn’t even raise your heart rate much. Unless you’re coming from a really low base, it doesn’t seem like a good idea

Jogging and then running is definitely a better option for the long term.

they/them/theirs

I tried it for a while but the impact on my legs was so bad I had to stop. I'm just not a jogger I spose. 😥

In any case, the 5 mile winter walks do me fine and I get out on the bike when the conditions aren't too bad. I'll be on the bike today cos it's dry, but I reckon the wind will be a killer.

Did you go out and just jog for as long as you could? That’s the mistake a lot of people make.

Look up the couch to 5k program, it could be the answer for you

they/them/theirs

I worked up to a 5km run and every step of the way was awful TBH. And it's not as if I'm unfit or radically overweight. I'll regularly cycle 40 or 50km a day if conditions allow. But jogging just banjaxed me. It was murder on my legs that I had to just give up after a number of months. It's funny, I never got that way even when I played football!

I might give it a go again and see what happens. But I can't say that I'm in any real hurry to try it.

Look man, I hear you. I used to run 75-80km a week for a while. Never enjoyed it, but it was good for me.

I’ve been cycling so much the last few years I don’t run anymore, but I keep thinking I’ll do it again. You have to cycle 40km, to expend as much energy as a 10km run, on average. So it’s much better for burning calories.

they/them/theirs

That might be the case. But a cycle is way more enjoyable. 😀

...except when I get rained on. 😡

• Advertisement

Cycling is definitely more enjoyable.

In Ireland you’re as likely to be rained on in the summer as the winter though. Get yourself some good wet weather gear: Castelli Perfetto or Gabba jerseys, decent gloves and shoe covers.

they/them/theirs

In Ireland you’re as likely to be rained on in the summer as the winter though

Well, that was certainly the case this, that's for sure. What a miserable year weather wise that was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Cill94

Yeah the idea that fasted cardio burns more fat is just a myth. Fat loss comes down to the daily amount of calories burned vs cals consumed. If your average days trends toward a deficit, you lose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Debating getting an outdoor pull up bar/gymnastics bar

Anyone recommend a company?

Or, a heavier and better made version you could also Squat in:-

It used to be possible to get a metal fabrication company to make these a little cheaper, I did that a few years ago for my back yard and for a work gym, but not sure if this is practical these days, with inflation. If you do that, and it'll be outdoor, consider getting it galvanised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Cheers I assume the ones linked wouldn't work outdoor?

We have a squat rack in the shed, so looking more the pull up component, but will never say no to outdoor summer squating

The powder coating on the Blk Box one should be pretty water resistant and it's steel underneath. You could probably could leave it out uncovered and it would be fine. I assume you'd get some discolouration and whatnot over time. It would be worth asking them.

If you are going this route I'd definitely ask for quotes from a few gym fabrication companies, especially as you won't need the uprights drilled for holes, or need j hooks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

Have you looked into rucking (walking/hiking with weighted backpack or vest)? Running places about 8x of body weight stress on our knees, whereas walking about 3x, so even with extra weight it's still much less of an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Inforapenny

Doing a lot more cardio lately so sweating more as a result.

Someone mentioned getting electrolytes to take either before or after to help replenish any salts, minerals etc. lost.

Any thoughts on them.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Drink after work out, put 1 sachet in a large bottle( 1 1/2 litres i put it in to) of water and sip all day, don't use a small bottle you'll only pass the electrolytes out first time you go to the toilet, sipping all day ensures your getting them into your body.

Advertisement