Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"average Dublin house prices should fall to ‘the €300,000 mark" according to Many Lou McD.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

So Mary Lou has not suggested how to reduce the cost, quelle surprise!

I guess she could reduce the wages paid to various trades? How do you think that would that work when we have a shortage of qualified trades people?

Perhaps reduce stamp duty or VAT on materials? Experience would suggest that these savings are not passed on.

How do you think she will achieve this dramatic reduction in cost?

Did it ever occur to you that Mary Lou was just spouting populist shite?

Personally I think the best way to make homes more affordable for the average person is to increase their earning capacity by making educational courses more accessible and more affordable. Many out there need to lower their expectations for their first home and be prepared to make some sacrifices.

There is some great value out there at the moment for those that are prepared to purchase homes outside of areas such as Dublin and Cork. The TV series “Cheap Irish Homes” has demonstrated this. Now that fiber broadband is finally being rolled out to less densely populated areas many can work from home. This makes living close to Dublin/Cork/other city unnecessary. This is the type of thing previous gene would have done in a heartbeat.

Maybe a first home has to be in a less than ideal location and once some equity has been built up there will be an opportunity to move to a more desirable location.

I moved out to “the sticks” myself and got some great value.

I feel that too many people think that they should be able to afford an “average 3 bed semi house” close to Dublin City center, designer clothing, the latest iPhone, holiday abroad every year, great social life, despite the fact that they earn less than the average wage. Life just doesn’t work like that and it never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Well unless you have invented a self replicating house that doesnt require more land, that really doesnt solve the problem, unless you also require the population to stay at the level of generations ago?

Meanwhile I 100% agree that social housing should always remain the property of the state. Selling it off, typically below cost, is the most asinine of "solutions" to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Again none of that addresses the issue that previous generations were easily able to afford home despite not putting as much effort into educating themselves and progressing in their careers.

Population of Ireland has increased by 30% in the last 20 years and the number of houses being built has not kept pace with that demand.That is the issue.Until people accept that not enough houses are being built to cater to our population then nothing will change.

More houses need to be built. Simple as that.

Everyone's earning capacity can't be increased if it was it would mean we would have a society with nothing but managers and nobody doing any work.There is a shortage of supply of housing , this needs to be addressed.As I said in an earlier post there are ways to do this:

• So many empty houses all across the country that have been allowed to rot, this issue could be addressed fairly easily of they wanted.
    • Allow more high rise apartment buildings in cities.
    • Build more houses in areas that need them.
    • Start training programmes to get unemployed people off the dole and into a trade so this reduces the labour shortage, seems the lefties in Ireland like to let the unemployed rot for eternity rather than do something to improve their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

You posted on another forum looking for price for cavity insulation. Now you claim to know how to price the materials and labour for a house. Something not really adding up here!!! (See what I did :-) )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Which generation were easily able to afford a home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Allinall

I too would like to know the answer to this.

Its rose tinted glasses stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Emblematic

@2011 wrote: "Personally I think the best way to make homes more affordable for the average person is to increase their earning capacity by making educational courses more accessible and more affordable. Many out there need to lower their expectations for their first home and be prepared to make some sacrifices."

The problem with this, as with a lot of other suggestions on this thread, is it only works if a small number of people take this course of action. First of all, having say, a masters degree, only helps your earning capacity if you are one of the few people with one. If everyone has one, you won't see much of an increase. Secondly, even if everyone's earning capacity increased by, say, 20% most this increase would be swallowed up by the subsequent rise in house prices as people compete to buy a limited number of houses.

This is also the problem with suggesting that people buy more outside of the main cities. It works if you are one of the few people doing this. Otherwise, you simply get prices rising in rural areas as people from the cities compete to buy in those areas. You are simply spreading the problem around, not solving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭BillyHaelyRaeCyrus

No security in that in retirement when the state pension cannot pay the rent Ill be homeless. No fault evictions for "selling up or decorating" still exist

Maybe a renters insurance payment to the state by renters that will mean after 20+ years of payment the state will pay their rent in retirement is the answer. The idea of not being able to pay to rent in retirement and being homeless has me terrified and is the biggest issue with our rental market

How many empty houses are been left to rot? will people move into those houses if they are up for sale? do you think houses in Mayo are going to fix the housing crisis in Dublin?

I agree on high rise apartments in Dublin, in reality they should stop houses now and just build apartments for 5 years

Very easy to say build more houses in the area that needs them, in reality in cities it would be better to knock houses and build apartments instead because the area's people want to move into doesn't have the space anymore

Very few people unemployed in Ireland anymore, most of the ones who are you will never get to work. We are down to 4.8%, how many of them will be on long term sick leave etc. As I already said you have some people on unemployment which no matter what you do they won't work. Plus the money it would cost trying to get them to work would be better spent on houses

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

But the evidence suggests that only a few are doing this.

• Advertisement

because Irish people largely aspire to work as nurses, teachers, accountants, business studies jobs. Very few Irish people want to work in tech or STEM roles. The people with an interest in these sectors study them right away after school. The other 80% are not largely not going to "upskill" into them. They are instead going to be pissed off that their own masaters isnt enough to buy a house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I would say there are at least 5 abandoned houses on the main street of the village I live in (most other villages I see in my county have similar situations) .There should be compulsory purchases of these at this stage by the council and refurbished and either rented or sold it's a complete waste of usable property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

If you really were terrified then you’d be motivated to do something about it.

Instead you prefer to moan on an internet forum because you have to buy your designer clothes in Dublin and not New York.

I am motivated. Its not possibly to give up life for 6 years to save a deposit with that level of sacrifice. I cant give up a social life and go without a holiday, I would have zero source of joy in life. I cant house share at my age (I did for a decade) as it would make me mentally unwell as it did before and moving out of Dublin is not an option, I dont drive as cars are so expensive and 2 hours a day of public transport would ruin a life.

I pay my rent every month, that should prove my ability to repay without needing a massive deposit. My parents in the 80s got a corpo house and bought it up, selling later to move to a private estate. Mortgage free by 50. Siblings got 100% mortgages in the 2000s. Saving 40 - 50k is not possible with any acceptable standard of living. I think I'll move to the UK to an affordable city. Much better living in Glasgow or Liverpool that Portarlington or Navan

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Well, we've a much higher participation in higher education than a couple of generations ago. But the point is that merely increasing peoples earnings is not enough as you need to take into account the rising of house prices due to those increased earnings.

If you want to make houses more affordable you've got to target impediments to supply such as councils and speculators sitting on potential development land, inefficiencies in the planning system, vexatious and scam objectors, nimbyism and so on. Then introduce tax incentives to build in targeted areas. Attract inward investment in developments to rent and so forth.

For the record, Ive not been to New York or the USA since 2017. As a child I went to Florida twice and NYC 3 times, and a ski trip to New Hampshire (that was a school trip). So the New York shopping part was to emphasise how much living standards are lower for my age group than our parents

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Seriously do you really think it's costing north of 1k a day for PAYE, payroll, insurance etc for someone whose wages for an 8hour day come to just over 200???

Oh do share your sources for that!

Price gouging at a time of shortage is what's happening, plain and simples.

Market rate is not price gouging, in any sector.

Will people move into the village?

So you want the government to step in and tell a person they cannot own a house and they have to accept selling it to the council?

Not sure you will get much support for that.

TBF, I drove into Dublin City centre a few weeks ago, something I try to avoid if at all possible, and while stuck in the usual traffic, I was taken aback by the number of boarded up properties. I have to agree, there should be pressure applied to renovate the buildings and return them to use, if a certain time period elapses, then CPOing them wouldn’t be a bad idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,330 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There's no political will to institute anything like that in Ireland.

FFG certainly aren't interested in it, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

People don't want to live in these houses even with the grants available.

They require lots of work and no front garden etc

Yep. We have a ticking time bomb with regards to housing in this country and it's going to blow up in a lot of people's faces one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I think the government should come up with a clever building program like lots of European countries did in the post war period.

I know it's not the best example but the Soviet countries built loads of apartments with a pre designed prefab method.

If that is indeed his plan, it's a damn sight better plan that anything FF or FG can come up with.

Understandably so, CPOs are not universally popular. Making it easier for a council to take your property against your will is not a vote winner.

I'm not talking about CPO's. I'm talking about instituting a functioning long term rental market. Because what we have at present is an absolute disaster.

SF’s mutterings about interfering further in the sector will drive even more LLs out of the market if they institute a ban on evictions. There was popular support for RPZs, have they helped? It would appear not.

Whether you accept it or not, there is a significant percentage of the population who do not want the value of their most valuable asset to decrease, and the ones who may be most concerned by any drop, are the ones who have bought in recent years.

• Advertisement

Advertisement