Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

There is no point arguing with posters who are bringing up antisemitism. They are completing ignoring thr emotive effect of the killing of women and children. If they were massacring Hamas only, people wouldn't care.

They are just repeating whatever is the current Israeli government line because that is basically their positions. The operation should just end in theirminds s whenever the Israeli government unfurls their mission accomplished banner and declares victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭volchitsa

But it's not like saying individuals committing a crime because those crimes are clearly set out in law, so there's no question of whether a crime was committed or not. So for, say, speeding, you don't need to compare with anyone else: either you've broken the law, or you haven't. And it's easy to show that.

In the case of warfare, precedent is important: something is accepted to be a crime often because in another war it has been judged to be so - or not. That's why other incidents are relevant: because they set a precedent.

If this were true, people would care more about the deaths of children in Yemen than they clearly do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Quitelife

After watching the BBC lunchtime news , Israel must be the most Blood Thirsty & Evil state than ever existed on the planet , horrible horrible nation.

I don't think people care about Muslims killing Muslims in general. They didn't care when the Shia and sunni militant were blowing each other up in Iraq when the americans were there. Do you care about when Jewish people are killing Muslims or only when Muslims kill Jewish people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Good thread from former UK ambassador Alexandra Hall. She feels many Israel defenders (including Biden) are stuck in a 1970s mindset of Israel automatically being the good guys and Palestinians the bad guys. They just cannot compute that everything has changed and that Israel under Netanyahu is a nasty and depraved state.

This doesn't even make sense. I don't see it as Jewish vs the rest, I see it as one small nation that is fighting to survive, and whose people have nowhere else safe in the world, as their history shows. Unlike the Palestinians who, for centuries, even by their own reckoning were "Arabs" rather than Palestinians, and who for decades didn't even want Palestine to exist, because they mostly saw themselves as part of "Greater Syria".

The Palestinians were given the option of their own country, but they didn't want that, because they wanted to destroy Israel rather than create their own functioning state. All their resources have been funnelled into weapons to destroy Israel, which is why they have now lost what they originally had. But them's the breaks when you choose to go to war.

If Ireland had rejected the treaty and gone on fighting the English, would we now be a modern state that is part of the EU or would we be a war-torn shithole?

So no, it's not about who's killing who, but about why the war is happening in the first place.

Palestinians could have accepted the existence of Israel - it was only a small percentage of the total land the Arabs were given - but no, they wanted it all. They lost that fight, so they needed to suck that up, and compromise. Like us with the treaty. You can hate a situation but not everything justifies going to war over it. And you can use peaceful means to change something. That's what we agreed with the GFA.

Instead of that though, Palestinians went all-out for a death cult that prefers constant war to building a state. And this is the result.

Meanwhile, Israel has tried all sorts of ways (some worse than others) to find ways to create a stable state next door to the death cult, but the Oct 7th attacks were an attack too far for many ordinary Israelis. Because you can't farm land or do anything normally when you're likely to be kidnapped at any moment. Hamas became an existential threat to ordinary Israeli civilian life at that stage. And nobody who is saying that Israel has overreacted seems to have any alternative suggestions to make as to what Israel could reasonably have done instead.

That makes me think that they all know well that there was no alternative, but that they want Israel to sit there and take it anyway. IOW they're perfectly content to see Israel being destroyed.

They're just not quite ready to say so out loud. Yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

They're getting there, the CBC (Canadian state TV) came out and accused Israel of starting the war with Hamas. They're backtracking now, maybe kind of, but I think its quite telling how desperate some are to paint Israel as the bad guy, not Hamas or the Palestinians who support them.

CBC blames teleprompter error for 'Israel started the Hamas war' statement (msn.com)

At this point, I'm not sure who is Israel's biggest enemy, Hamas/Hezbollah/Iran or some on the Western Left who seem to hate them even more, if that's possible.

I do not want to see israel destroyed and am against this operation continuing so you can take that bogus conspiracy theory elsewhere.

There is no alternative to the slaughter of women and children with end in sight in your mind? To be honest that may be because you just take what the Israeli government line is and run with it. If Israel had not taken 20k lives in last two months they would still be in existence today.

What is your perfectly reasonable end game solution for this conflict or are you waiting for the Israeli governmentcto tell you this?

The end game is for Hamas no longer to be a force in Gaza. If that has to be done by military means, then after Oct 7th, I think that's a reasonable choice to make.

What's your "reasonable end game", and how would you suggest getting there?

• Advertisement

You cannot expect us to take this seriously. You supposedly don't want Israel to be destroyed but you don't want them to defend themselves against a mortal enemy bent on their annihilation?

These two positions are mutually exclusive. Israel cannot be expected to co-exist with Hamas.

I'm not against attacking hamas but bombing civilians areas to do that is wrong. Under the method you support God knows what the civilian bodycount will be at the end of this. Your crocodile tears for people in Yemen are clear when you don't question Israeli methods which is resulting in such carnage.

So if a terrorist group/government, let's say Hamas for example, develops a strategy of using its own civilians as human shields, they then become unattackable in your view?

So you are waiting for Israel to declare victory then.Given hamas are a terrorist group how will you know when this has happened, will you just blindly believe Israel when they announce this? And are Israel going to occupy gaza then or let a new Palestinian Authority take over that could be just a front for hamas. And this " success" on the back of 10s of thousands of civilian deaths.

I would go after the leadership of hamas have direct assassinations using the network of moles that the idf has in gaza. I know its bit as sexy as demolishing while residential areas. And then put political pressure to isolate them from their allies in the region.

I wouldn't bomb them thereby ensuring their human shields die. You would obviously.

International law is clear AFAIK, military targets are fair game. If one side chooses to use human shields, then they bear sole responsibility for what happens to them.

I didn't ask what you wouldn't do. I asked what you would do.

It seems like your answer is "Nothing".

Targeted assassination of the leadership. The method of not killing innocent people wholesale. But hide behind international law all you want for something that is moralIy wrong. Guess you were a supporter of Gitmo Bay and waterboarding cos they were legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Field east

Something that is very seldom highlighted is that all ! islamists want , in theory, all infidels killed. Did not Mohammed say that if an infidel do not turn his/ her back on the non Islamic religion they are following an d convert to Islam then they should be killed. Is it not stated in the Koran? I stand to be corrected and maybe it is only one or two of the ‘ branches ‘ of Islamic followers that have this as a basic tenant. The branches would include Shias, Bahais’ Wahhabism and Sunnis at least

t

The above position, is part of the unwritten script that has been driving Hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭amandstu

..and the same would naturally apply if the IDF hid behind baby Israeli civilians .

They could walk into Gaza and the surrounding Arab countries unopposed.

They could take as much land as they wanted until they were met with fierce resistance from the columns of similarly infant protected opposing armies.

That said ,it is still not clear to me why so many civilians have been killed

Is it entirely Hamas' fault or has the IDF simply found it too difficult to combat Hamas in its "civilian terrain" in a timescale or rate of it's own casualties that it is willing to accept?

Right at the start they realized that public opinion's support would fall away once the memory of Oct7 faded(I remember this fear being expressed at the time) and that would have been a motivating force to get the job done at whatever cost and as quickly as possible

• Advertisement

No, you seem to have forgotten - or perhaps you never noticed? - that Hamas are not just a terror group.

So a good sign would be when the health ministry is no longer the Hamas-run health ministry, for instance. That would mean that the head of Al-Shifa hospital would no longer be a Hamas man, put there for his Hamas sympathies. Ditto for the education, police and justice systems in Gaza - once they are no longer run by Hamas, there would be some chance of doing what was done in Germany after the collapse of the Nazi regime and allowing others to run the place. Your belief that this would mean Israel is not shared by many Israelis, who want nothing to do with Gaza after the war. An international coalition would probably be needed. Hey - you could even put your own life where your mouth is and go and help them, since you claim to care so much about the ordinary people of Gaza.

Do you really think the Israeli public is of the mood to make them stop. They don't care.

So in effect, your only suggestion is "no change from previous strategy". Targeted assassinations have been happening for years. They didn't prevent Oct 7th, so they aren't enough to stop it happening again.

The rest is "look over there" handwaving from you. Hilarious, given your previous posts.

I am against the killing of innocent women and children that is the difference between is. We are both only armchair warriors.

But not against the killing of innocent Israeli women and children, it seems. They can go stuff themselves.

No I'm looking at Gaza. And your support of the killing of innocent people. But I guess you think trh operation should end whenever the Israeli government decides it should. Nothing to do with the civilian bodycount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Field east

I understand that , under ‘normal conditions’ and pre Oct 7th last that there were 500 trucks a day entering Gaza. And only 20% of theirs had to do with basic needs including food. The rest , I assume, had to do with cars , machinery,, Electrical goods, and suchlike. I suggest that the UN is doing a dis- service to the cause by constantly referring to this 500 trucks as if that is the current target that is now required. I wonder if Israel is not trusting the UN to supervise the trucks coming in because of this ?

Now you're lying: you brought Gitmo into it, a subject on which I've never posted here, and attributed an opinion to me on it that comes straight from your own head.

No I'm against the killing of both Israelis and gazans. Are you? No is the answer

• Advertisement

This is bickering now. This will get us banned. We just fundamentally disagree on the ethics of this operation

Advertisement