Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I'm not against attacking hamas but bombing civilians areas to do that is wrong. Under the method you support God knows what the civilian bodycount will be at the end of this. Your crocodile tears for people in Yemen are clear when you don't question Israeli methods which is resulting in such carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

So if a terrorist group/government, let's say Hamas for example, develops a strategy of using its own civilians as human shields, they then become unattackable in your view?

So you are waiting for Israel to declare victory then.Given hamas are a terrorist group how will you know when this has happened, will you just blindly believe Israel when they announce this? And are Israel going to occupy gaza then or let a new Palestinian Authority take over that could be just a front for hamas. And this " success" on the back of 10s of thousands of civilian deaths.

I would go after the leadership of hamas have direct assassinations using the network of moles that the idf has in gaza. I know its bit as sexy as demolishing while residential areas. And then put political pressure to isolate them from their allies in the region.

I wouldn't bomb them thereby ensuring their human shields die. You would obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

International law is clear AFAIK, military targets are fair game. If one side chooses to use human shields, then they bear sole responsibility for what happens to them.

• Advertisement

I didn't ask what you wouldn't do. I asked what you would do.

It seems like your answer is "Nothing".

Targeted assassination of the leadership. The method of not killing innocent people wholesale. But hide behind international law all you want for something that is moralIy wrong. Guess you were a supporter of Gitmo Bay and waterboarding cos they were legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Field east

Something that is very seldom highlighted is that all ! islamists want , in theory, all infidels killed. Did not Mohammed say that if an infidel do not turn his/ her back on the non Islamic religion they are following an d convert to Islam then they should be killed. Is it not stated in the Koran? I stand to be corrected and maybe it is only one or two of the ‘ branches ‘ of Islamic followers that have this as a basic tenant. The branches would include Shias, Bahais’ Wahhabism and Sunnis at least

t

The above position, is part of the unwritten script that has been driving Hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭amandstu

..and the same would naturally apply if the IDF hid behind baby Israeli civilians .

They could walk into Gaza and the surrounding Arab countries unopposed.

They could take as much land as they wanted until they were met with fierce resistance from the columns of similarly infant protected opposing armies.

That said ,it is still not clear to me why so many civilians have been killed

Is it entirely Hamas' fault or has the IDF simply found it too difficult to combat Hamas in its "civilian terrain" in a timescale or rate of it's own casualties that it is willing to accept?

Right at the start they realized that public opinion's support would fall away once the memory of Oct7 faded(I remember this fear being expressed at the time) and that would have been a motivating force to get the job done at whatever cost and as quickly as possible

No, you seem to have forgotten - or perhaps you never noticed? - that Hamas are not just a terror group.

So a good sign would be when the health ministry is no longer the Hamas-run health ministry, for instance. That would mean that the head of Al-Shifa hospital would no longer be a Hamas man, put there for his Hamas sympathies. Ditto for the education, police and justice systems in Gaza - once they are no longer run by Hamas, there would be some chance of doing what was done in Germany after the collapse of the Nazi regime and allowing others to run the place. Your belief that this would mean Israel is not shared by many Israelis, who want nothing to do with Gaza after the war. An international coalition would probably be needed. Hey - you could even put your own life where your mouth is and go and help them, since you claim to care so much about the ordinary people of Gaza.

• Advertisement

Do you really think the Israeli public is of the mood to make them stop. They don't care.

So in effect, your only suggestion is "no change from previous strategy". Targeted assassinations have been happening for years. They didn't prevent Oct 7th, so they aren't enough to stop it happening again.

The rest is "look over there" handwaving from you. Hilarious, given your previous posts.

I am against the killing of innocent women and children that is the difference between is. We are both only armchair warriors.

But not against the killing of innocent Israeli women and children, it seems. They can go stuff themselves.

No I'm looking at Gaza. And your support of the killing of innocent people. But I guess you think trh operation should end whenever the Israeli government decides it should. Nothing to do with the civilian bodycount.

I understand that , under ‘normal conditions’ and pre Oct 7th last that there were 500 trucks a day entering Gaza. And only 20% of theirs had to do with basic needs including food. The rest , I assume, had to do with cars , machinery,, Electrical goods, and suchlike. I suggest that the UN is doing a dis- service to the cause by constantly referring to this 500 trucks as if that is the current target that is now required. I wonder if Israel is not trusting the UN to supervise the trucks coming in because of this ?

Now you're lying: you brought Gitmo into it, a subject on which I've never posted here, and attributed an opinion to me on it that comes straight from your own head.

No I'm against the killing of both Israelis and gazans. Are you? No is the answer

This is bickering now. This will get us banned. We just fundamentally disagree on the ethics of this operation

I don't know but Baha'is are not Muslim, so I'd be a bit doubtful about your detailed knowledge of the Quran.

• Advertisement

But you're really not, except in a "Oh let's all be nice" way, which is meaningless and actually counterproductive.

The reality is that Hamas chose to go into Israel specifically to target civilians including babies because of their ethnicity, and you say that the IDF is not entitled to respond militarily to that because Hamas has also put its own civilians, including babies, in the way of the IDF trying to attack Hamas fighters.

If that is allowed to become protection for an army, then only armies which deliberately sacrifice civilians can ever fight from now on. It's an imparable defence. And I think that's a worse outcome for people everywhere than this one war. Like the Nazis, I think Hamas have to be fought on this because otherwise, it will happen again and again, and not just to Israelis.

Please correct me where I am wrong. I will accept that the Bahais’ are not Muslim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭blackcard

Another anology could be as follows. The League of Nations, aided and abetted by bribery from Britain, awards them 21 counties in Ireland with 11 going to the Republic. The latter, not being willing to 'suck it up and compromise even though there would be 2 nations' decided to rise up against Britain and in the ensuing battle were reduced to say Wexford, Cavan and Monaghan. Even then the Brits decided to continue taking more land in the latter 2 counties and settling more Brits. They also control power, water and goods going into Wexford, severely repress them and make their lives a misery. Would you still expect Wexford to suck it up? Or would they be a 'death cult' by rebelling?

I condemn what Hamas have done but there are 2 sides to the story and neither side has right on their side. There is a reason why the current conflict is taking place. Israel are currently acting as 'Might is right' and are not using their power wisely and have managed to alienate most countries in the world. Given how Jews have suffered through history, I hope they find compassion rather hard hearts

Don't think I implied that.Fairly sure most Israelis are behind their armed forces and the operation in general.

What makes you think they don't care?

I imagine their proximity to the conflict makes them care are lot more they most of us in this thread (the same applies of course to the Palestinians)

No, the first reason your analogy fails is that Britain already has a country. The Jewish people had nothing, as well as a history of being hunted down and killed pretty much everywhere else in the world.

Also, no idea where your claim about bribery is coming from. Are you saying that the only reason Israel was given recognition as a state was because someone bribed the United Nations? And not, say, the effects of the Holocaust? Who paid, and how much?

There's no point in me discussing it because I don't know. I do know though that it's possible to interpret stuff in the bible about selling your daughters into slavery and so on to make Christianity out to be completely extremist too, so I wouldn't be prepared to accept a claim about what Islamists believe just on the basis of what somebody else says they believe. If you have quotes from specific people about their own beliefs, that would be interesting.

There were a number of reasons why Israel were given a disproportionate amount of territory. Part of the reason was the empathy felt by many countries because of the Holocaust, guilt also by many countries that they did little to stop the genocide. However, this is not a good reason to take land off others. The Belgian Prime Minister in 1947 acknowledged the decision would lead to bloodshed. France and others were against the resolution but pressure was put on American senators to say post war aid would be withheld unless they supported the resolution. Financial pressure was put on smaller countries and it is acknowledged in articles published by Mosaic that Zionist bribes were paid to countries such as Costa Rica. Indeed, the tactics used to gain a disproportionate amount of land were rightly seen by Ben Gurion as an extremely successful starting point in their acquisition of land, the 1948 war with the assistance of Russian arms was another successful step. In many ways, you have to greatly admire their tactics. However, it meant that many people were ousted from their land unjustly. You might think that they should just 'suck it up and compromise' but you can trace the current conflict to unwise decisions made back then. It is still no excuse for Hamas

" Israel were given a disproportionate amount of territory"

Can you give a reference.I have seen elsewhere said (on this thread) that they were allocated a very small amount of territory at first (some 20% ?) but this was rejected by the Palestinians,leading to the 1948 war.

What is the truth on this point,I wonder?

In 1947, Jews comprised less than 1/3 of the population and owned 7% of the land but got 56% of the land. Israel now controls 77% of the land even excluding the West Bank settlements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Much of the land that was go to the new state of Israel was worthless desert, that being the Negev desert in the South. Of course the 1947 plan would have left Israel completely indefensible against a co-ordinated attack, that's why after the '47-'48 war Israel expanded to what became the '67 borders.

United Nations Partition Plan for Palestine - Wikipedia

Additionally, the new State of Israel had to absorb hundreds of thousands of Jewish refugees from the Middle East / North Africa region during and after the 47/48 war, which hadn't previously been factored into partition plans.

Advertisement