Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A cup of te

Thinking if you @SarahLil Hope you get your mam home for Christmas. Hope everyone who is under the weather feels better soon. It's miserable when that happens. We nearly all had covid last Christmas which made it a damp squib but so far so good this year.

Yeah, @antimatterx that's one of the very many reasons that I am already plotting my escape in 2024! I think we're meant to consider ourselves lucky to be going out at all. Last year was our first time to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

I'm sitting down ready to start into the rte guide crossword. I've been in the kitchen all day, cookies baked, loads more dough in the fridge waiting to be baked later, pastry ready for mince pies, cheesecake base ready.

OH is cooking dinner so I'm taking a break.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ah lads what a day. Up at 8am straight to the butchers to collect the turkey/ham.

Walked straight in and got everything. 2 years ago I collected at Christmas Eve and queued for a hour to get in the door.

Ran into Dunnes to get nice bread with a good date and some small bits. And have been spending the afternoon tidying the house. Feet worn off me now and still have the bedtime routine to go 😭😭😂😂

Post edited by Loughc on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

In Tesco's and Aldi today, Tesco's was mad , something I noticed today people have problems paying by card.

why do I keep thinking it's Christmas day tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The 25th being Monday creates a super long run-in; particularly as loads of people seem to have finished Wednesday or Thursday too.

I'm doing the future in laws visit tomorrow which makes it feel like its already Stephens Day tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Little bit of cleaning left tomorrow but just there now. Wrapping to do too but that won't take long.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Did Dunnes around 4, it wasn't too bad.

Couldn't find parsnips,of all things, I'm sure we'll survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Thanks everyone for all the well wishes I brought my mam home this afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Funnily enough I sent something similar to my "mums" group chat.....the Christmas grocery shop certainly feels like an epic achievement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

So happy for you and your Mam. She must be thrilled! Enjoy the build up now to the big day 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Just went back to the 1st of December and read all the posts.

Hope your okay @SarahLil and your mam is getting better.

Happy belated Birthday to @BK5 @Loughc

Sister Popcorn came home from the UAE for a few weeks.

Did some of the big shop in a big Dunnes on Thursday Night and it mobbed.

Next to collect the desserts in the morning.

Ah that's great @SarahLil delighted for you. Hope you all have a lovely Christmas now.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Somehow got it in my mind that we could really, really do with a small bookshelf, by tomorrow. Part of the tidying up lead me to that.

Thankfully for my own sanity, IKEA don't open on Christmas Eve at all. Was preparing another door opening time trip.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Thanks again everyone, Happy Christmas everyone

Enjoy the build up Elves and soak up those quiet moments we all talk about xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Had a great Christmas lunch in town today with my family. We usually do a dinner one of days before Christmas, but I think a lunch is better.

The pubs were very quiet though which is unusual.

Having one now after demolishing a Baxter and green beef bourguignon meal. Delish. Theres no way I’m cooking until Christmas Day!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Delighted to hear your mam is home, @SarahLil 🙂

We’ve hit the part food early this year in this house we may have to buy more had some for lunch and dinner

I can confirm Aldi vol au vent selection is good tiny little bites… other half picked them up goat’s cheese with a red onion reduction/relish a ham one and smoke salmon too tiny tasty bites

• Advertisement

Happy Christmas Eve Elves

Off to the butchers shortly beat the queue hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Happy Christmas Eve everyone, this week was like an eternity but we’re here now at the best day of the year so let’s enjoy every moment of it. The wind is blowing a gale outside but going to get up shortly and start the food prep while enjoying listening to Christmas FM. Have a great day everyone 🎄⛄️

Delighted to hear about your mom @SarahLil , that’s really great news.

Veg prep with Christmas FM on.in the background... another tradition for the Eve in ours, though plenty to get done before then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Sounds very similar to my day yesterday! Cookies, Lebkuchen, Mince and apple pies and biscotti made. I have the cheesecake base done and the stuffing made too. Today will probably go in a similar way, but I don't know what else I'd do on Christmas Eve if I wasn't in the kitchen! That's my tradition.

So glad to hear your Mam is home @SarahLil the hospitals really try their best to get as many home for Christmas as possible.

Happy Christmas Eve everyone, be it mad one, or a restful one, just enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Happy Christmas Eve Everyone!!!

Had a few pints of the black stuff last night so slow start this morning, like everyone on here it's veg prep day 😄

Am thinking of cooking the turkey and ham this evening, does anyone else do this?

I’m cooking the ham tonight and will cook the turkey tomorrow.

Happy Christmas Eve everyone. That rolled around in record speed this year!

ChristmasFM is playing having breakfast with the little elf. I think a nice handy day is on the cards today.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Collected cakes for Tommorow this morning.

Can't wait to finnish up.

Happy Christmas Eve Everybody.

Currently thinking about ham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Ok, it's settled, ham tonight and turkey tomorrow morning. Didn't buy a huge bird this year so it will be an easy enough cook.

Only have 5 for dinner tomorrow and 5 on Stephens Day. Once had 10 on the big day and 12 Stephens Day one year, was fairly tired after that.

Anyone doing big numbers this year?

Advertisement