Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"average Dublin house prices should fall to ‘the €300,000 mark" according to Many Lou McD.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I believe belfast is one of the uk most affordable cities, massive advantage if you wanted to live in the second biggest city on the island , is that you can visit family and friends with no flights etc needed...

are you serious? you are aware that in most properly run countries, there are proper rates of taxation, to discourage this social decay?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Which countries, what tax reform do you think should be introduced?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downtheroad

You can do all those things.

You are choosing not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,842 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There's a generation reaching pension age now who got houses fairly handily. You see plenty of whingers on the thread trying to insinuate that people nowadays are looking for a free house.

I've a couple of relatives from that previous generation approaching pension age with houses easily worth 500k+ who never held down a proper regular job. And would have been (at least unofficially) permanently unemployed during the 80's and early 90's. (Perhaps unofficially working what would be today "minimum wage" type roles 10% of the time).

They were in Council houses, or council-built houses, which they were later allowed to buy cheap.

That system also benefited those buying in the private market as a lot of competition was removed. You definitely didn't have the scenario of the Council swooping in to outbid private bidders and up the asking by 30% to secure a house for a future tenant..............Today, if you have your eye on your dream house and the local council also want to buy it ..... well good luck to you with that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

There isn't an agreed point where something stops being market rate and starts being price gouging.

I'd consider charging 4k to 'project manage' a tradesman working for 3 days price gouging, even if some might see it as just a result of a very broken market.

But thanks at least for being honest in not trying to BS that these are legitimate costs.

There are always outliers, some way more expensive, some way cheaper. If what you are quoted is the market rate at that time, then it isn’t gouging just because you don’t want to pay it. If you are being paid what the market will bear, you are being paid what you are worth. A market isn’t broken just because you think it is too expensive, you are free to get a cheaper quote, if one exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I pay my rent every month, that should prove my ability to repay without needing a massive deposit.

It's absolutely incredible that this isn't accepted by the banks as ability to pay a mortgage.

The current rules were designed in an era when people got married out of the Daddies' and Mammies' house and bought on the basis of having been able to save for a number of years previously. Nowadays most people move out and begin to rent when they move away to study, or if they study in the town or city they grew up in, on completing their studies. But as with the insurance industry, the banks have refused to adapt to modern circumstances. It's as though they want the free use of the savers' money for several years prior to providing a loan, because ability to pay rent on a monthly basis is proof of ability to pay a mortgage with the same monthly payments.

As I said already, I'm giving examples of some material costs applicable to a semi-d because we keep hearing how price increases of raw materials are driving up house prices.

In fact the effect of material price changes is far less than I think people expect when it comes to house end-prices.

Actual labour costs are also far less than people think. Typical rate for a tradesman is less than 30 euro per hour.

The contractor providing the tradesman may well be charging a lot more than that, but that's where people are taking advantage of shortages due to years and years of terrible housing policy.

When was the last time you had a tradesman in your house? Have you done any projects which required managing the trades people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭deirdremf

There's a drastic shortage of construction workers and tradesmen.

On that basis people are charging a lot more for these services than would be the case in an efficient market, even if the person doing the work is only getting a fraction of that price.

Whether you want to call that supply and demand or price gouging it's not a market that's working effectively and efficiently.

Markets not working efficiently are generally seen as having a long-term detrimental effect on society and the economy.

I'm not saying the person managing a construction job shouldn't be paid.

I'm saying what they're charging in some cases is extreme.

If you think there isn't price gouging in the sector, go and have a look at the forums here on the retrofit 'one stop shop' schemes as an example.

A functioning market is one that sets prices based on supply and demand. 10 years ago construction costs were low, did anyone complain that they were paying too little for trades people?

You ask any contractor what their biggest problem is, they will tell you it is getting trades people. For a few years there has been a shortage of new trades people due to Covid, the lure of other careers etc. That isn’t caused by a malfunctioning market. Those that are now there can pick and choose what jobs to take, and place a higher value on their labour, that is how market pressures work,

I did a moderate sized job on my property this year, I project managed myself, because I’ve done it before. I knew the tradespeople, many of them have done work for me before, but it was a total pain in the ass making sure they were all there. Even with that, the job ended up taking far longer, and costing a lot more than it was intended. There was a lot of down time when people didn’t turn up, materials didn’t arrive, problems between the trades people. If it was a smaller job, you can be damn sure I would have paid a builder and had him organise all the trades people to be there, and I would have paid him the market rate.

Just because you call it gouging doesn’t make it so, if what you are being charged is the going rate at that time.

You need to read up on some economics.

Markets work most efficiently when there aren't shortages in supply.

Supply and demand are still factors in the market, but it's not working efficiently.

Again, you can’t countenance for a pandemic disrupting training courses, you can’t force people to become plasterers, electricians, plumbers etc. A lot of the foreign workers like Eastern Europeans have returned to their own countries because their economies have improved and there are well paying jobs there. The shortages in labour are not due to a malfunctioning market. Builders/trades can now pick and choose their jobs and price accordingly, the same as IT people and other in demand professions.

I get that you aren’t happy about paying more, most people aren’t, but don’t be a hypocrite, if you were in demand, you would be negotiating a higher wage when employers try to get you to come work for them.

People complaining about high prices can just be a symptom of a market not working effectively.

Again go and read up on some economic theory...

I'm not saying supply and demand aren't there, but shortages in supply can lead to higher profits, which can led to losses in productivity and innovation.

There can, and in this case there are, also knock on wider economic and social effects.

Other industries can't attract workers. Just today I was talking to an academic telling my Ireland can't attract or hold on to researchers because of housing costs.

The government should have intervened years ago to counteract these shortages. They can't force people to take up trades but they can incentivise it and failed to do so.

Incentivise in what way? Surely the current job prospects and prices charged by trades people today is a pretty good incentive, what should the Government do?

And again, I put it to you, if you were in demand, would you not negotiate a wage with any new employer that takes such demand for your skills into account? It would be rather foolish not to negotiate the going rate for your skills.

I'd negotiate a 'good' wage for sure.

I'm not sure I could be calling to people's houses looking for thousands for a few hours work, and selling BS about material costs on top.

As for what the government could be doing... Subsidise increased apprentice rates, provide conversion courses for people who want to move to the industry?

But I think the biggest thing they could do is commit to a long-term national construction entity that would directly build houses and retrofit.

I think what's putting a lot of young people off trades is hearing horror stories about the last generation having to emigrate when the crash came.

Also not every tradesman is earning huge money, from what I can see it's only those who'll go self employed and probably hire a few others. That's not for everyone.

Of course you would negotiate a good wage, the going rate, no doubt.

I doubt the builder calls to peoples houses looking for work, chances are that the home owner is the one doing the chasing.

You can’t on the one hand acknowledge that you would negotiate a wage if you are in demand, and then call it gouging when others do it.

Yes, increasing the rates paid to apprentices might help, but should they also pay other students studying in third level, because there is a shortage? The trades people that did work for me said young people just do not want to do that type of work anymore, even if job prospects and pay are there for them. But that is getting away from the fact that shortages in trades in themselves cannot be blamed on a malfunctioning sector or poor policies, if people don’t want to do that type of manual work in all weathers, then there isn’t a lot that can be done about it. A consequence of that of course, is that the builders who are there now, can put a higher value on their labour, rather like you negotiating a better wage.

The good news, if it’s above market rate, you are free to find one would do it at a better rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

These sort of promises aren't paid for by politicians, but by voters in lost jobs and / or more taxes in a country where Metro North has seen 300 million Euro spent and nothing but reports and salaries.

Your argument about me negotiating a higher wage with my employer and price gouging don't really hold up for several reasons, but to be honest I'm not really interested in debating it with you.

I'm far more interested in the economic and political side of this than the individual.

The government already heavily incentivises people to reskill in other industries. Paid springboard courses are available in areas deemed of strategic demand such as IT, pharma and manufacturing. The IDA further subsidises salaries and site costs.

Why this wasn't done for construction I can only speculate. From job campaigns I've seen lately it looks like they're even struggling now to recruit tutors for existing apprenticeship courses.

I couldn't say for sure but I don't think it's a case either that this generation is too soft for apprenticeships. I see a lot of younger people into fitness and tough outdoor activities, I doubt they're put off by a bit of bad weather.

Poor apprentice rates and perceived lack of job security I suspect are bigger factors.

It isn’t a debate, it is the value we can place on our labour when it is in demand. It’s ok for you, but apparently it isn’t ok for others.

There is a galactic difference between a young person working out to keep in shape, and having to work in the cold and rain.

I reckon we have brought this as far as we can.

This " price gouging " lol ! You work out those kind of logistics, drive all over the place, physical work, often in the rain and cold. This " fortune " it pays, its a fair reflection of what they are doing v most people sitting on their ass in the warm and dry... it should be paying a multiple of other jobs, that's reflected in the effort...

Dealing with the public is bad enough, go deal with the publics homes etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,842 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The problem with calling for something like that is that, if it were it be brought in right now, it wouldn't help anyone. Because so many would just have X amount more in their war-chest to buy a house that the prices would inflate further.

The same way that we now have 30 and 35 year mortgages whereas in previous generations it was 15 or 20. The boomers' parents said to them "here is your slide of the pie, you will just need to give us the next 20 years of your effort in return". Whereas the boomers went on to say to the next generation "here is your slice of the pie, you will just need to give us 30 years of effort in return".

The example I gave of price gouging was a builder quoting 5k for a job. Which a tradesman would be doing in 3 days.

The tradesman would be on site rates, getting about 250 a day.

I appreciate there's prsi, pension, insurance etc. But it's looking like 4k to the builder for 'project managing' a 3 day job.

I've no problem with the tradesman getting more for his work. In fact many should along with better job security.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Sell now before they get in and introduce Bolshevik style housing policy.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Get multiple quote, normally 3, if they are all charging the same amount then that's the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Seriously do you think any business is going to do it at cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Thats becuase its never gouging. I could charge €100 for a Twix if I wanted to, you are free to go elsewhere or wait or make your own Twix.

Advertisement