Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slurry spreading in December - what's wrong with it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭893bet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭older by the day

People must remember that winter started early this year. My incalf heifers are inside a month earlier compared to the past few years. I have a lot of storage but it will well full by mid January. And when the tanks are full they have to be spread, wet or dry.

Surely there is no one on here who thinks it's good practice to have animals standing in shiiite up over the slats

• That’s not true. It’s as clear as day that the op (@Casati ) is a snake in the grass with a hidden agenda, trying to expose a few hard working lads who they probably regarded as a pushover and intellectually inferior to them and would say something stupid to suit their agenda. Well its backfired as they are not the first ejit to underestimate the hard working farmer and were found out within 2 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I just thought that if you are tuned in enough to know what an agitator is, you probably are tuned in enough to find the answer to your question fairly easily. Your average person could probably look at construction site and identify a JCB or a cement mixer. But if they see a little bar on the ground and know "That's a snaptie for shuttering" then they probably know a tiny bit at least.

There is a closed season for spreading slurry because that is the time of year when typically the slurry might be more likely to cause some pollution. The reason is that there is more rain, and the plants are not growing so they do not absorb the nutrients before it can be washed out.

There is a short closed season for dairy washings as well. That one is kind of inconsequential.

• Advertisement

The purist would say then you don’t have enough storage. Minimum is 16 weeks of you are in the sunny south east and upwards from there. If full mid January you had them housed mid September? Doubtful.

I am not a purist however, this has been a tough year and it ain’t over yet. Jan/feb better be fine months. And it pray it will be an early spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Slurry tends to run off the land in winter owing to higher rainfall and therefore sodden soil.

This year w had a very very wet summer, so may farmers couldn't spread slurry as it would have run straight off the land and into the nearest river.

I'd guess the farmer you saw was taking advantage, legally or not, of the drier conditions to get the slurry out. Although whether his land is dry enough for it to be beneficial and not end up as runoff is a moot point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

It was a bad decision to agitate. The farmer could have reduced the risk by pulling some liquid from the tanks to buy himself enough room for 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Packrat

I'm noticing a trend of posters with no posting history in the forum arriving asking seemingly innocuous questions of fact.

It was going on in the Farm Payments 23 thread the other day which I take particular exception to as that is industry specific for a reason and not a general discussion on the merits or demerits of the CAP.

No other forum has to put up with this level of trolling by bad actors.

It needs to stop @greysides

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

Wrong as could be there 893. I am in North Wexford here and had heifers and my sucklers housed on 22 September. Cows were on off grazing nearly all of October. I have in excess of 16 weeks and will need to spread as soon as the deadline is over.

Just checked the date there becasue I have a doctors receipt from the day. One of the sucklers kicked the back gate of the trailer being loaded and it ended up buried in my forehead, giving me 7 stitches just under the hairline. Luckily it hit the head, not the nose or jaw.

• Advertisement

Not looking to get into the in and outs of anyones slurry storage. Being “fully housed” from mid September was a rarity, as you say you were on off grazing for October so not fully housed. Exceptions prove the rule.

And if fully housed from then, you just about have enough to get you to the deadline mid January then you are a little tight on storage in this outlier of a year. Easy get caught this year, not being fully empty as cattle were housed for a week here or there in the summer and then a window to spread never arrived coupled with an early winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

You say you seen the agitator in the yard working and the farmer could’ve been pumping from one tank to another, here we pump from a small tank to the larger one at times, by the way farming is a very stress free life and weather never comes into and maybe you should try it sometime and see how you would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

But tanks should be empty on October 1st 893 as you alluded to. That is the great debate this year on another thread. Even in North Wexford I had to carry in about 25% of my storage full on October 1st due to no weather window to spread the tanks where buffer feeding was happening. Add in 9 days of 60 animals in as well. On off grazing was isually as little as 2 to 3 hours a day for the cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,449 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

And don't forget all the rain

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Silverdream

As far as I know there are penalties but I couldn't tell you how much or ever heard of anyone around me getting caught. I wouldn't be worrying about it

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

The screenshot above was in the aviation forum two days ago and is not unique. Every sector that is at risk of governance of emissions is down on agriculture. And these sectors are training the minds of people that everything agriculture is bad. Hence you get the agenda leading questions from posters that feel empowered by Eamon Ryan and his mutterings.

Someone here a while ago described the cow as being an eco-terrorist. It perfectly describes what she is being made out to be.

This new breed of easily influenced little brains struggle to look at the bigger picture. What happens if they get their wish that the cow,the sow and the acre to plough disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

And that aviation sector had their emissions not classified as only internal Ireland flights are counted.

Meanwhile the agri sector is the only sector that takes the carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere and puts it into soil, plants, animal, people mass. Agri sector should probably be minus 10% and the aviation sector then 60%.

Farmers were badly let down by and trodden on as they had no money behind them representing them at talks and meetings unlike the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

The money is being excessively gathered alright, just not being utilised on our behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

What on earth has the second part of your post got to do with the first part?

So bloody defensive its actually offensive as this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Looking at some of the initial replies to the op, one or two here are a bit like watery storage tanks. " easy agitated "

It's one of many threads on a forum. Just because your cynical about it,does not mean your obliged to reply to it. Just move on.

Some if they have their way, will be like Leo & Micheal, wanting to control what people say in their own privacy next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I think the question has been asked and answered.

Merry Christmas everyone.

And as you enjoy your Turkey/Beef/Sprouts/Roast spuds, remember to thank the primary producer. Those chocolates didn't fall from the sky either.

Thread closed.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement