Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Ah, right have you got a link, maybe West Cork got that wrong?

Edit;

If you mean this statement, nowhere does he say he saw Bailey being introduced to Sophie in 2003/4

"“I was asked to appear at the libel trial. A solicitor contacted me and I offered to testify but I was never called as a witness. I don’t follow this in the media. I don’t read the newspapers. After the libel trial, I suppose I would say I failed to come forward. I took the attitude that my information wasn’t important. It wasn’t until 2010 that I was contacted by a journalist to see what I knew, we went through what I knew, and we went, ‘Jaysus,’ ” he said."

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ronandusty

LoL at all the Miss Marples here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

With regard to the cases against the newspapers it's not correct to state that he lost as he was awarded 8,000 euro against two of the eight newspapers.

Fair enough he did lose 6 out of 8 cases and the amount of damages awarded was peanuts in most peoples estimation, but for someone with such a heinous previous record of assaults against women that posessed very limited prospects of earning financial security it could be classed as a victory.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ian-bailey-s-libel-action-fails-against-six-out-of-eight-newspapers-1.1130651

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ms Robini

When you lose on almost every front and six out of eight of your claims are dismissed, it is not a victory, it constitutes losing the case aka having the case thrown out. He has lost every case he has taken, and the courts have found overwhelmingly against him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

But he has not been tried in an Irish court for the murder of Sophie Toscan de Plantier;

and based only on all the snippets of evidence quoted in this thread, it would be very difficult for a jury to find him guilty "beyond all reasonable doubt" of committing that crime.

He may have - and he may not. The Gardaí would need to have something more solid than all of the above to bring it home to him, that's all I'm saying. And yes, they may have that - or they may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

(contd!)

and that, I presume, is why the DPP repeatedly rejected applications to charge him; there simply isn't enough evidence for a jury to convict. (Or acquit)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I think the most significant factor linking both these cases is the complete lack of evidence linking anybody but the main suspects to the committing of each crime. Not a single scintilla.

Dando was not a working journalist who was about to unveil some shocking story that would rock the British establishment. Far from it. She was just a presenter of mostly light entertainment TV. Her killer was obviously some deranged "fan", a lone nutter/oddball type - a profile which fitted the chief and only suspect perfectly. The fact that the gunshot residue found on his clothing was considered insufficient evidence to convict does not remove the fact that such evidence was found, nor is it grounds for dismissing potential motive. I think the great injustice done to Dando and her family was the culprit getting off scott free on the flimsiest of technicalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

What an odd point of view! Imagine living in an Orwellian world where an accused person is condemned because of

the complete lack of evidence linking anybody but the main suspects to the committing of each crime.

Especially in these two cases where there is a notable absence of convincing evidence against anyone.

Otherwise, these two cases present total contrasts.

In the case of Sophie Toscan du Plantier, there was no forensic evidence at a blood- and hair-strewn crime-scene due to the breath-taking incompetence of the Gardai and the State Pathologist. In the case of Jill Dando, a highly-skilled assassin left no evidence except his trade-mark bullet, which experts recognised but no-one (at least, not Tony Blair) wanted/ was able to pursue. The only alleged eye-witness in either case was Marie Farrell. Has there ever been a more perjured witness in Irish history? (Step aside, Major Sirr!)

In the Jill Dando murder, the English DPP brought a prosecution which initially succeeded but ultimately the conviction was quashed. I don't blame the jury in the Jill Dando case - they knew that, after their verdict, the media would be filled with stories about "the evidence that the jury didn't hear" and they couldn't live with themselves if they acquitted a "guilty" man.

In the murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier, the DPP refused to prosecute because the evidence would not support a conviction. The series of subsequent legal actions, including a murder conviction in a French court, have not produced a "scintilla" (hat-tip) of additional evidence. I have no doubt that the Irish DPP was right not to prosecute and the English DPP was wrong.

Does anyone believe a gormless loner like Barry George was capable of Jill Dando's clinical assassination? Tragically, we will never know who killer Sophie Toscan du Plantier unless someone comes forward with new evidence (not another "Suddenly I remember seeing Ian Bailey was washing blood from his hands twenty-five years ago"). The reputation of An Garda Siochána has suffered by association with this terrible investigative failure but there are plenty of examples of excellent police work by the Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ms Robini

Different DPP now, let’s see whether Ian Bailey’s losing streak continues.

I agree with you that the DPP' decision not to prosecute Bailey was correct and the Crown's decision to prosecute George was incorrect - in a strictly technically legal sense - but many killers and other types of criminals who are clearly guilty have managed to escape free on some technical point of law and because they have brilliant defence lawyers working for them.

George is far from being the simpleton he is portrayed as and it does not require military training to conceal a firearm and then use it effectively to kill somebody. Not at all - which kind of debunks this theoretical nonsense about some Serbian hitman being responsible.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it is a duck.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

It is indded true that many gulity people have escaped justice for wahtever reason.

It is also true that many innocent people have been convicted.

Furthermore, relevant to this case, Many have been "tried and convicted" in the court of public opinion, but subsequently found to be innocent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Have you any examples of those found guilty by public opinion that were proved innocent?

Off the top of my head, Stefan Klitcko, Colin Stagg, Stephen downing,

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SynBin

The Guildford Four, the Birmingham Six, the Central Park five ...

Better 99 guilty go free than 1 innocent be hanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭Deeec

Christopher Jefferies is another one that could be added to this list

They were found guilty in a court of law! I was thinking of just public opinion..

Also cases of guilty in a court of law not 'public opinion'

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SynBin

Just public opinion? Generally those found guilty in a court of law are also perceived to be guilty by the public at large before a judgement is pronounced (e.g. Jozef Puska). OJ Simpson is an obvious candidate as someone - I think I can state - that most people found guilty both before and after his criminal trial. He was found "not guilty" (proved "innocent" is not a judicial pronouncement as far as I'm aware).

The least interesting aspect of Jill Dando's killer was "concealing a firearm". He used a 9mm semi-automatic pistol which would fit in a coat pocket.

His skills were demonstrated by the clinical manner in which he waited until she put her key in the lock (i.e. her hands were fully occupied) then brought her face down to the ground, put the pistol to her head, pulled the trigger and was back out on the street within a minute. No one heard the shot because he had removed most of the gunpowder (unnecessary when the gun is against the victims head). No one saw him leave.

Whoever killed her was a trained killer who must have been delighted to see the English police and forensic lab fit up a doofus like Barry George. At least our DPP put a stop to the Gardai who wanted to cover their own mess in a similar way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The American developer of the new M-Vac DNA hoover that has successfully extracted identity particles from rock crevices that recently resulted in solving one 18 year old case has said that while Gardai do not yet have the technology he understands that they have sent evidence from this case to a lab that does have this transformative technology.

Sophies son has nothing but the highest of praise for the Gardai currently working on the case.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/we-still-have-reason-to-hope-sophie-toscan-du-plantiers-son-says-2024-will-be-pivotal-to-solving-her-murder/a1485810334.html

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭Xander10

What sort of evidence have they sent ??????

The son does want someone charged even if that is a case that can't be proved beyond beyond reasonable doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭BQQ

It would not take the skills of a professional assassin to kill Dando in the manner that you describe. Whoever did it was just lucky - lucky that nobody heard the gunshot or witnessed him leaving the scene.

The killer of Sophie has had Lady Luck on his side as well - so far. Again, it says a lot that not one single lead has been uncovered that might identify alternative suspects for both crimes.

on the contrary- Jill Dando’s killer left nothing to chance

In contrast, the killer of Sophie Toscan du Plantier got very lucky - none of the masses of forensic evidence was collected by the Gardai/State Pathologist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's an interesting little nugget.

Bailey claims that what he said was already known and had been in witness statements

I wonder will Bailey produce any evidence of where in the public domain he got the details from.

Advertisement