Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭ollkiller

In a fairytale world 100% yes. It's never gonna happen. Another way to stop the killing would be to actually just stop killing thousands of innocent people. Do you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭volchitsa

That's why Hamas need to be removed from power: it's not Israel's job to make the lives of Palestinians bearable, but it is - or it should be - Hamas', since they're the government of Gaza.

If your government are violent autocrats, you're just unlucky. Plenty of countries suffer from that problem: Iran, North Korea, China etc. But if they're violent autocrats who attack the neighbouring country, then you're even more unlucky, because your neighbours are going to attack them back, and you're likely to be in the way.

But I don't think Gaza can expect Israel to put up with being attacked just to save Gazans. That's not how nations work. Israel's role is to ensure the safety of Israelis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think they have made that point clear in the last two months and pushed back any lasting peace by decades. I am just depressed by the whole situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Lol yes, I take all my political opinions from Saudi Arabia, that bastion of tolerance and human rights. If they say it, it must be true They definitely wouldn't be biased towards Hamas. It's not like they share some of the same opinions on Jews, gay people and women and how they should be treated. It's a provable lie that civilians weren't targeted by Hamas. Why do you continually try to excuse them of their actions?

If you hate Israel so much that you're aligning yourself with Saudi Arabia, well you're really scraping the barrel. Pathetic.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This is not collateral damage : number of innocent civilians killed vastly outnumbers that of Hamas fighters. The regime is deliberately bombing civilian areas, either quite deliberately (i.e. they are the target a la Dresden) or because it doesn't give a damn that tens of thousands of civilians have to die whilst it goes after Hamas.

• Advertisement

All those kids they have been killed will have relatives who will be enemies of Israel for life. In the short term I'm sure it will reduce the number of rockets flying at Israel but this latest blood letting has just pushed back probably by decades the idea even of lasting peace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Hamas are an internationally recognised and proscribd terrorist organisation in the EU, North America and many Middle Eastern countries including Egypt.

Its members are terrorists and criminals.

They will be jailed if found guilty in court of being members of Hamas.

internationally recognised and mandated “collective punishment” applies to them… so yes I am OK with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Picking your own points when this conflict started. It did not start with the creation of Israel, it was happening long before that, violence between Jewish settlers and Arabs was rife during the British mandate of Palestine.

As I have pointed out before, an independent commission of enquiry was set up post War 1 to assess the future of the region. Following their investigations into the region, the commission reported that the people of the area were completely opposed to Zionism and they recommended that the Zionists forget about trying to establish a Jewish state in the region. Jewish people made up about 11% of the population at that time. The commission clearly recognised the potential problems of Zionism and the resulting conflict, yet the great powers ignored the advice of the commission and ploughed ahead with their own agendas, and here we are 100 years later still dealing with that stupid decision. All the UN did in 1947 was solidify a problem that had already been created.

The problems were not created by the Palestinians, they were created by Zionism, the British(Balfour Declaration) and later, western powers. Palestinians were completely ignored time and again on what they wanted for their lands, of course they were never going to accept the creation of a new state in their lands by a people who had accounted for about 5% of the population barely 50 years earlier. Could the US for example not have given up one of their lowly populated states to the Zionists for the creation of a Jewish state?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"internationally recognised and mandated “collective punishment” applies to them… so yes I am OK with it."

Lord almighty - why don't you just propose wiping out the now <2 million peoples in Gaza and be done with it. We see Israel for the tyrant it has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

Maybe the Nazis just didn't use human shields as extensively as Hamas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭suvigirl

The people of the area were completely opposed to Zionism.

Except all the ones that sold their property to the Jewish people from 1880ish

Honestly, go and read a book or watch a video or something about the history of the region before the creation of Israel. This might be a good starting point.

How Zionists Came to Palestine Under British Protection (Documentary) (youtube.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

they were captured in a violent incident that in itself was enough to traumatise people - and that alone is a crime.

Now imagine you are talking about the THOUSANDS of Palestinians that have faced this year in year out.

Take your faux outrage and ......well ill let you finish the rest of that sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Maybe you should read a book or watch a video about the area, before world was 1. How do you think the news were moving there since 1880?

They were sold land and property by those people who were so opposed to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"internationally recognised and mandated “collective punishment” applies to them… so yes I am OK with it."

So in your world you would have been fine with the British carpet bombing Derry, Belfast etc because if the actions of the IRA?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭amandstu

Could it be that antisemitism is alive and well in Saudi Arabia?

It is a great tradition .We can all join in ,don't you know?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

LOL. The whole "human shields" thing seems a bit defunct when Gaza is small, fully bottled up, and the entire area is a war zone.

I think I remember the term from the Iraq war and Israel's bombings of Lebanon.

Made some kind of sense in those earlier contexts but can't see that it does in this war, so it's just being wheeled out there as a kind of handy (but empty) buzzword in expectation people won't think about it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Talk of 'human shields' is nonsense in terms of Gaza : it's one of the most densely populated places on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,364 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I was deliberately constructing a nonsense argument to mirror the other posters nonsense.

This meme showing an empty street with the caption "Yemen" or "Syria" or suchlike, coupled with posts on thread making the accusation that someone criticising Israel is only doing it because they are antisemitic, and that the proof is that they haven't criticized random cause 'X' - is nonsense.

I did mention in a few posts that both were nonsense.

The Russians claim that they invaded Ukraine as an act of self defense. Israel is claiming what it is doing now in bombing random Palestinian civilians is also self defence. Neither has any realistic merit in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Who is right and who is wrong? My poor grasp at history

Both sides have historical ties to the area. The Jews go back over 2000 years, the Arabs even longer. By the first world war, the Jews had dispersed and had only 7% of the population in Palestine. The British promised the Arabs a state in the area in return for fighting against the Ottoman Empire during WW1.

Balfour wrote to Rotschild in 1917 offering a home to the Jewish Diaspora. Why? So that Jews would put pressure on the US and Russia to continue in WW1, because of the influence of Jews in British Goverment and sympathy towards Jews having a homeland.

Jewish emigration and land purchase meant that their population had increased to a 1/3 and their land holding increased to 7%. Conflicts were ongoing between Arabs and Jews The British washed their hands of the situation and the UN got involved in 1947

There was sympathy to the Jews because of the Holocaust and genocide but the Arabs did not see why their land should be taken because of Hitler's actions thousands of miles away. Huge pressure was put on countries by Arabs and Jews. Truman was embittered by the Jewish pressure but caved saying he had never known a US election being decided by Arab money or influence. France and others had threats of reduced post war aid. Arabs tried bribery also but didn't have the same influence. Imo, the UN caved and gave the Arabs a rotten deal but I can see why Jews felt they were entitled. Even before the ink was signed, it was inevitable that Arabs would not accept the deal and would fight to regain their land. Arabs started a war. Israel, with the assistance of US and Russian arms, won more territory. Israel invaded Egypt during the Suez Crisis and started the 6 day war, Arabs started all subsequent conflicts and Israel ended up with 77% of the land.

So who is right? Neither. Israel should not have settlements in the West Bank, Hamas should not have carried out a massacre, Israel should not have killed 20,000 civilians, Hamas should release hostages, Israel should give back land, Hamas needs to be disbanded, a more moderate government is required in Israel, a UN force needs to be deployed and money provided by the US, EU and the Middle East to rebuild homes, hospitals etc.

The starting point for both sides is to admit that each is wrong

Post edited by blackcard on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They were opposed to Zionism because Zionism would force them out of their homes, home they had held for centuries in many cases. It's too lazy to throw out the antisemitism argument when it's often much simpler and benign than that.

It is previously posted here somewhere, but it is easily searchable, King-Crane Commission. A specific reference is a book called Paris 1919, by Margaret McMillan about the Paris Peace Negotiations along with a few other sources. This is perhaps the pertinent bit  "it ended as an investigation conducted solely by the United States government after the other countries withdrew to avoid the risk of being "confronted by recommendations from their own appointed delegates which might conflict with their policies" Exactly what happened.

Lets leave religion aside here, lets say the Polish population in Ireland got to about 10%. Entitled to buy land here etc, does that somehow entitle them to create a separate state here in any shape? Now imagine the EU declaring that they back the creation of a New Poland in Ireland, with the Irish people having no say in the matter? Or even worse imagine the US taking control of Ireland and backing the creation of a New Poland? How do you think people in Ireland would react to that? Figure that out and you get a better understanding of how the people in Palestine felt about Zionism and the creation of Israel. Undoubtedly there was an element of antisemitism, just as anti-immigration is already fueling issues here, but there would be still underlying problems with the whole situation. People try to justify it by claiming that the Jewish people had lived there previously and were somehow entitled to return there, but that is sliding into ideology.

We kind of went through this with the British, partition etc, which is why many people here sympathise with Palestine, especially those of a Republican persuasion.

Lazy? When the antisemitism was in the air they breathed?As it is in ours.

Your "force them out of their homes" is tendentious and applying motives to them that you cannot know.

Even if it was true it doesn't mean that antisemitism wasn't the major reason.

We have the same race cards being played all the time."They are taking our jobs ,our services.Poisoning our blood."

If they were Jews ,that would be all that needed saying.

I don't think the Zionists forced many inhabitants out of their homes or land.The land was sold in an orderly way.We have that in Ireland too.Foreigners and out of towners buy up the land and houses and the owners take the cash and move on.

It's a tortured analogy.No point debating it.Enough problems without wondering about a greater Poland in leafy Cork.

Oh, I see there are two analogies .Pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

In 1947, Arabs had a majority of the population and territory. Then the majority of the territory was awarded8 to others. Can you not see why some might have an issue with this?

The issue was settled at the UN.And then the new Israeli state was attacked to within an inch of its life by it's "new neighbours"with no pauses until the present day.

Some "issue".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭quokula

Seriously? You're trying to compare the violent mass murder and displacement of the indigenous people of the region in the name of Zionism to private citizens migrating legally to Ireland today?

Just to supply some facts, more than 80% of all Palestinians were violently displaced from their homes around 1948 in order to create the state of Israel. Many thousands were murdered. Countless massacres wiping out entire villages have been documented. In addition to executing huge numbers of civilians including many babies, there are many reports of the zionists raping women and children in the course of taking over towns. It was an ethnic cleansing, not a few economic migrants moving in. And Israel has continued to murder, terrorise, oppress and displace Palestinians to varying degrees in the 75 years since as it has taken ever more land and backed the remaining Palestinians into an ever more difficult corner, inevitably creating organisations like Hamas in retaliation.

But yes, these people must surely be antisemitic to have opposed having everything they've ever known taken from them and seeing many of their loved ones killed, maimed or raped in the process.

6k kids have been killed in the last two months. I don't think the hatred of the Palestinians to the the Israeli Jews can be put down to anti semitism now. There now have a different reason to intensely dislike them.

In 1948 the Arab states invaded Israel.I don't know the details of that war but it was Israel that was invaded..

• Advertisement

They might have a better think about targeting their ire against those who they foolishly (and likely with some coercion) voted for and who have led them down this path without consulting them ever since.

If they are accorded the chance to reflect they may come to to realize that the attack against Israel on Oct7 was bound to lead to dreadful consequences and to serve others' purposes than their own.

Advertisement