Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork traffic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I disagree. There are signs all along the quay displaying no right turn. What more do you expect? Should they have flown a huge sign over the junction?

No doubt in my mind that the vast majority of people taking that turn, know full well that it's illegal to do so.

I suppose it's the fault of the traffic lights that at almost every sequence of the lights, cars run red lights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

I was walking by the Opera House on Monday evening & noticed somebody waiting to make the right turn. Unfortunately (for them!) they didn't notice the Garda jeep a few cars back who stuck on their blue lights & drove up beside them. I didn't catch the lecture but they reconsidered their right turn decision & went straight on instead.

Yesterday I went for a jog out the Straight Road after work, from Inchigaggin lane onwards I was overtaking cars all the way to the turnoff to the Anglers Rest & I'm not a fast runner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ofcork

The cars taking the right turn from york hill does my head in i wont leave them out but someone always does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Bus priority hours today once again ignored, Patrick's Street full of private cars.

Bollards were also down on Oliver Plunkett Street this afternoon... With motorists taking full advantage.

Saw that yeah guy sitting in a car at back of Penney's not a bother on him

• Advertisement

Also people parking all over the place on liberty Street plenty of tickets handed out.

Always when someone does something dickish like blatantly skipping queues in the wrong lane, someone always let's them in! These enablers are just as bad as the dicks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭Acosta

I do wish Smyths was some place else instead of being next to the Kinsale Rd roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭65535

The further from the City Hall the less interest is shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭shawki

Don’t know if this should be in Traffic or Antisocial Behaviour.

No idea what the buildup was but two lads getting into fisticuffs by the courthouse.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cork/comments/18pr2mg/the_christmas_spirit_in_full_effect/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf&utm_content=1&utm_term=22

Looks like guy guy was parking in cycle lane and other guy was taking a pic of him and illegal parker took issue with this and got violent.

Just what it looks like to me, I have no insight to this.

But, whatever happened, the guy with the glasses is the scumbag, here. He started the violence and escalated it.

Edit : Cork beo are suggesting that there might have been a small collision but I don't know what they are basing that on.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭Acosta

I'd say people don't realize wardens are back today cars parked in taxi ranks and loading bays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It’s the not just the traffic wardens though. Used see this every Christmas when we lived on the coal quay. The guards would come out of the bridewell and generate a ridiculous number of fines (no paper tickets issued on the car) Head back in and come back out two hours later. Rinse and repeat. Drivers completely unaware until they got the post.

Same story today pile of tickets issued.

That really is good news. I really thought that the gardaí had no interest in enforcing parking enfringments, particularly footpath parking. Perhaps we are seeing a change.

I meant it was the wardens who were issuing tickets today.

Last night I was standing outside my local when a car driving down the street decided to do a u turn. Without stopping or really slowing, he turned sharply, kinda freaking me out as he was heading directly for me. He braked hard and reversed aggressively, and pulled forward quickly again turning to go back the way he came.

While musing this odd occurrence I looked down the street to see a cop car ahead of him making a u turn to go after him! They must have seen is aggressive u turn in the mirror and decided it wasn't on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd (genuinely) love to know why it is that so many/most Cork drivers don't use indicators myself.

I know it happens other places too, but everytime I'm down that way (regularly) it stands out to me - junctions/roundabouts/lane changes.. it makes no difference.. they'll just turn whatever way and whenever.

It really annoys me to be honest. Would love to know why though!

With the Mccurtain Street revamp in use a while, now, I can't figure out why anyone (apart from buses) needs to travel the new direction. As I understand it, the only way onto it is from Brian Boru Street. And the only place you can get to is the Watercourse road junction by Hegarty's/Ross motorcycles. What is the point of it? Wouldn't you just continue along the quays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭cantalach

I had the very same thought when picking herself up outside the Metropole over Christmas. I don’t get the use case, if you’ll pardon the tech nerd speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,567 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Yes, it's pointless. And further, while I can't claim to have performed a comprehensive survey, and don't usually use MacCurtain St anymore (was daily before) due to the disaster that is the quays, any time I have driven or walked the street since the changes I have yet to see a single bus heading west (new direction)!

It's a bus route. There are buses. I'm sorry you haven't seen them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,567 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

No need for the sarcasm. I'm simply expressing surprise that I have yet to see a bus on what was sold as a public transport corridor. I'm sure there are buses....but how many?

That wasn't sarcasm.

How many would satisfy you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Three routes using it Westbound - 207, 208 and 209. About 120 buses on a weekday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭cantalach

Maybe I completely missed the other guy’s point but I was saying that westbound MacCurtain St is pointless only for private vehicles because they can’t turn left into Bridge St. I think westbound MacCurtain St should be bus+bike only.

• Advertisement

I assume traffic from summer hill can go westbound on McCurtain street so wouldn't have to use the quays or Patrick Street.

Advertisement