Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

In fairness, if you live someplace rural and listen to the pub chatter, you'll soon hear every detail. There doesn't have to be a printed source.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But Bailey's response to the uncle was that he found out about Sophie's movements in town on the Saturday from something that was already published/spoken about in the broader narrative over the last 27 years, not from pub chatter.

So I wonder will he furnish the uncle with the source and put the matter to bed.

"Jimmy Murphy mentioned it one night in Riley's Bar..."

(names invented)

In the article Bailey says the following.

I did say that in the podcast, and I think it is provable in the statements – I’m sure it’s in there in the statements somewhere, so it is provable – I wouldn’t be able to put my finger exactly where it is mentioned but I know it is there and certainly it was being said around Schull at the time,” he said.

Now he's putting a lot more weight in the information about Sophie's movements coming from statements than just pub talk, even though he alludes to pub talk at the end.

It's once again Bailey making utterances, this time to the wider public that just add to the suspicion about him.

But the man is such a loose talker that you can't really believe anything he says, unless backed up by something or someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I think Bailey might have got it wrong anyway, I read somewhere Sophie parked her car in the car park opposite the East End Hotel, not on Ardmanagh Road.

I’ll see if I can find the link later, busy right now.

From Crimeguy.com

his source Michael Sheridan.

Isn't it aggravating that there was no CCTV at the time? This "man with hat" might have been identified once and for all, had there been any film or photos.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Given that everyone there knows everyone else, isn't it strange that she sees a "weird looking man" rather than she sees IB?

I wouldn't put an ounce of faith in anything Marie claims anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

If he did it, he must be a complete psychopath or sociopath as he's appeared in so many documentaries, tv shows, podcasts.

I'd be a nervous wreck afraid of letting something slip.

For that reason I think he might be innocent.

But he's obviously a bit nuts.

He's probably reading this even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

yes, that's one of the many odd aspects of the case against Bailey.

Generally a murderer will keep his head down, his mouth shut and maintain as much distance as possible from the issue.

Bailey's behaviour has been in complete contrast to what would be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I reckon bailey gets a buzz out of hiding in plain sight

He has a lot of animosity towards gardai ,locals and her family

The Farrells were relatively new to the area and lived in the opposite direction to Bailey. It’s possible their paths never crossed up to then. I believe Chris, her husband, recognised Bailey in the swim video and pointed him out to Marie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭FrankN1

When people say there is no DNA evidence of Bailey, was there any DNA evidence collected at all or was the scene totally corrupted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

They never found DNA, nor fingerprints or anything like that. It's possible or one hypothesis that whatever was collected was corrupted later on by somebody within the police force?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Potentially. But most likely still is that it was Bailey. Occams Razor is likely appropriate here.

There is no likelihood at all in this case, for or against anybody.

Just a number of events and indications pointing in all sorts of different directions.

Yes 100%.

If I was guilty, there's not a hope I'd be doing so much media.

So much evidence pointing at him, including he actually confessed to it twice.

The scratches as well are very suspicious.

But still I think he's innocent.

I don't think they'll ever solve this. Same as Annie McCarrick. Too much time has passed and no real evidence to go on. The perpetrator in both cases could be dead by now anyway.

It would be great if they still had the gate as modern techniques could pull some DNA or a fingerprint off it and they could use ancestry sites to find someone.

Maybe they'll get something off the block.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Surely fingerprints and DNA were found but none that wern't expected to be there? A total absence of everything would indicate a clean up.

He's probably reading this even.

Reading this?

He's probably posting in this thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

There was some DNA found at the scene that did not belong to the victim and later DNA testing of the crime scene by French forensic experts found evidence of DNA near Sophies boot laces that did not belong to her.

The huge advances in DNA testing since the murder will be the key to solving this case. A miniscule speck extracted from the block or rock is all that is needed. These days they have the technology to analyse "touch DNA" and now also mixtures of DNA samples from more than one person found which would have previously been of no use in a trial can be tested, separated and used as evidence.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

It's possible. Or the DNA collected was tampered with or otherwise corrupted at the Garda station.

DNA on the cavity block would be difficult, as basically anybody else could have touched it. It was out in the open and accessible to anybody passing by.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Its not something though that could lead to a conviction though in my view- it could be simply written off as a mistaken view of events given time passed and multiple different eye witness accounts at the time- I’d argue that IF IB had a hand in her passing, it’s the events and his accounts surrounding the night in question and the following morning that would have tripped him up far more- while there are certainly questionable aspects of his behaviour and what he said in the days after the murder, there’s been nothing there that could be taken as any sort of definitive proof.

There certainly seems to be renewed hope in significant developments though for 2024

The cavity block was on top of the pump house so although accessible to anyone, any DNA on it would point squarely at the killer.

I really feel that if this murder happened today, the killer would've been caught.

The whole thing is tragic.

For all we know, someone was trying to rob the house since they knew it was a holiday house and it's completely random with no connection to Sophie or the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It is something that could form part of the basis of a conviction though when added to other circumstancial evidence.

It is coming from the self declared chief suspect who has changed his alibi for the night of the murder a few times.

The glaringly obvious most suspicious evidence is that he said he was in bed with his partner all that night and she (a frequent victim of his violence) agreed only to then later retract her statement and state that he actually got out of their bed an hour after getting into it and was gone for 11 hours only to return next morning with a fresh injury to his forehead.

Other circumsatntial evidence it could be added to is his twice admitting to different people that he was the actual murderer and describing how he did it.

Fresh eyes looking at this case might not even need DNA evidence to take the case to trial.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The cavity block with which the killer bludgeoned Sophie to death will be subjected to further analysis using this new M-Vac data extraction tool which, reportedly, can glean up to 88% more DNA from a blood stain than a cotton swab can. Pierre Vignaud (Sophie's son) at least is expressing optimism this could provide new evidence which may lead to a prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah he seems optimistic alright - I wouldn’t hold my breath though on that brick delivering the killers DNA- and as for chain of custody and level of care of such evidence post murder, again likely an area a good defence team could deliver huge levels of doubt to a jury especially given the widespread incompetence of the original investigation

Unfortunately true. But it would still be nice to get even a tiny 'concrete' lead! (ho ho...)

So far there has been a maddening lack of data: it has all been guesswork and speculation. Even one tiny bit of forensic fact would be enormously helpful!

I don't see it that way. Anybody could have touched that cavity block, minutes, hours before the murder happened. Even yourself, or myself, if we were there.

Legally, I doubt it's enough for a conviction in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Is Bailey getting spooked i wonder

A bit of DNA and his words could land him in jail

Advertisement