Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭prunudo

Its Christmas lads, positive vibes 🎄

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Brightlights66

I've read a lot of this thread, and one aspect of the O'Connell Street metro/LUAS arrangement which doesn't seem to have attracted much comment is that there are no less than four sets of traffic lights between the proposed metrolink station and the current Red LUAS.

All passengers changing between the Green and Red LUAS lines cross the road at just one set of traffic lights.

Under the current metrolink plans, and it might considered a positive, you'd expect only around 25% of interchanging passengers to cross the road at any one of those four sets of traffic lights. This should speed things up a bit.

But, it is long.

I reckon it's about the length of the 'Ryanair' terminal in Dublin Airport, from WH Smith at the bottom of the bridge to gates 19-22 at the end. Not something I would care to do twice a day as part of my commute.

Is a better arrangement not possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Baby all i want for Christmas ISSSSSSSSS... Metrolink...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It's definitely been mentioned and debated here a lot (not sure if on this particular thread).

No-one considers it in anyway 'ideal' but it isn't particularly longer than some interchanges you might have to do in other cities, with examples mentioned of Paddington station London or Chatelet les Halles in Paris where 750 metre walks between lines are possible. Clearly those examples would be underground but the distance/time is similar.

Obviously the red-line isn't moving anywhere, and it seems technically difficult to build a different entrance to the Metro station.

It's a pain, but I don't think one should gauge the merit of any transport system by it's single worst interchange. All of the other proposed interchanges seem really good.

Thank you.

Well, using the examples you mention, shouldn't Dublin explore the option of an underground connection between metrolink and the Red LUAS?

Shops, beauty salons, etc?

It shouldn't be very difficult to do. Close the LUAS for a couple of weekends.

Your examples from Paris and London show how it could be a fine connection.

At present, the plan is poor.

• Advertisement

Will Never happen. Metrolink will happen before this would. Jesus an underground meca for junkies etc also if they aren't bothered policing above ground, imagine underground...

I am sorry.

Most of my adult life has been spent in cities with excellent public transport.

I just wanted to ask why there might be a better connection between the metrolink and the Red LUAS.

With proper policing, and cameras, Dublin could surely do something better for that connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Having flashbacks to a discussion on here decades ago. All we need now is someone to mention a travelator….

Metro will happen in some shape or form, and we should all hold our elected representatives to account for it.

So, four sets of traffic lights, between the metrolink and the LUAS Red Line.

As I understand it, this is now being billed, as an 'easy' connection, in the metrolink promotional video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Is there actually 4 sets of pedestrian lights? Seems to me you get off the Red Line at Abbey and walk along the Clery's side of OCS to the entrance. There is very little traffic turning eastward along that stretch. There are no ped lights at Sackville Place, Talbot Street or Cathedral Street, just at Cathal Brugha Street. Alternatively you can cross OCS to access it via the Moore Lane entrance, which is definitely also one set of pedestrian lights.

So if we accept that the time/distance is awkward but not unusual, and that the traffic lights aren't that much of an issue..... has that eased your concerns?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Lads lots of threads in After Hours for discussing immigration. Not here please

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Off topic posts about immigrants, and replies to those have been deleted.

Tis thread is about Metrolink. As warned many times, off topic posts will be deleted. Start a new thread to discuss other matters, but not here.

Im not a fan of him, but I will give the greens a vote next election. Also he should put in a stipulation on this current or a future government, metrolink goes ahead, without delay once planning is secured or they immediately withdraw from the coalition...

that line will take triple the numbers of passengers using dublin airport and all the current nonsense surrounding it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

Regarding the tunnel, I think my original reply was gone. It should be a relatively trivial issue to fix once Metrolink is opened. Would be ideal also factoring in that there likely might be folk who wish to transfer to Connolly for the Northern line, as that is the only intercity service that isn't connected to Metrolink (Tara St. to Wexford, Glasnevin to everything else)

Re the 30bn hole, in that independent article Ryan says:

“We went and totted up all the projects we have in development, and it was €70bn three years ago. The inflation since is at least 25pc, so we know we have €100bn of projects in development in transport.

That is before you add the rail line to Navan, the western rail corridor, the second phase of Cork’s metropolitan rail, and all the additional projects we have worked on since. And I could go on.

“So we have a huge challenge in transport. It will take two to three decades to build out the €100bn of projects — and the priority will be for public transport, walking and cycling to help us meet our climate targets, because gridlock would cost us a fortune if we just went down the road-use direction.

Broadly I think this a fairly understandable point? Like inflation has affected all sectors, and given the total multitude of projects included in that 100bn figure, including all road projects and aspects of, if not all projects in AIRR, if we were to get all of that for not only 100bn, but within 30 years, given our planning system, I would be extremely happy with all of that.

He is absolutely right that we need to keep the wheels spinning on all of this or it becomes a hell of a lot more expensive, and that pricing for the totality of all projects, given what that includes, seems like a good deal? and likely can get cheaper as we get better at building rail.

The timelines are beyond glacial for all projects, they need to start connecting the lines. Cherrywood to bray, finglas luas to dardistown immediately. Dublin metro to northern line.

Ffg talk about sf and their magic money trees. Lol. Wait for this, they will stall it, saying a crash is around the corner, self fulfilling prophecy, then claim it can be built for fifty percent the cost if we wait a few years, in their mind... this **** is actually plausible here...

The tens of billions squandered here, is worthy of a public inquiry...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There is only one set of lights between the Red Luas and the Metrolink entrance.

Going from the Red Luas on Abbey Street to the Metrolink you would cross O’Connell Street East to West to the GPO side, that is the only set of lights.

You would also cross Princes’s Street North, but it is a super quiet street, basically just delivery van and car park access, it has no lights and is basically a pedestrian priority crossing. That is it, it is straight up OCS to the Metrolink entrance.

I do think they will need to fix the ridiculous situation at that OCS crossing where the pedestrian lights don’t go green as the Red Luas is also crossing, but that is an easy fix.

Is this b'there are 18 tram lines in Copenhagen'k?

There is a set of lights at Upper/Middle Abbey Street, a set of lights at Henry St/North Earl St., a set of lights at Cathedral Street, and a set of lights around the proposed metrolink entrance.

Four sets of lights.

That should have been Lower/Middle Abbey Street.

In Dublin, with Baggot, Leeson, Mount, Abbey, Mountjoy, Dorset, etc., it seems to always be flowing down to the river, or the sea.

Apologies for my mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Bsharp

His comment about €30bn was poorly made. Thought it might have had broader context but it didn't.

A large chunk of that €30bn comes back into the economy through employment, manufacturing and associated tax receipts not including VAT which is completely circular. Inflation means tax take is also up.

So €30bn as a figure is far less to the exchequer in reality, and he should be making this point for people who are interested to listen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

This has been known for some time, every scheme we’ve proceeded with recently is costing more than projected. Increase the funding, the country is awash with corporation tax overruns.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

As I mentioned, if you cross to the GPO side, there is only one set of traffic lights between the Metrolink station and the Red Luas stop on Abbey Street. The lights to cross O’Connell Street.

While yes there are lights on the Eastern Side of the Abbey Street Luas platform, there are no lights on the Western side of the platform, which would be the more natural side to cross if heading too or from the Metrolink station.

The only set of pedestrian lights are to then cross O’Connell Street from the east side to the west side.

Once you are on the Western side of OCS, the GPO side, then there are no more pedestrian lights heading North to where the Metrolink station is.

I know this area very well as I’ve been getting the 16, etc. from this street for the better part of 20 years.

But even if you want to stay on the Eastern Side of OCS, well you are still WRONG, there are no lights at either North Earl Street or Cathedral Street (or Sackville Place for that matter).

Seriously go look it up on street View on Google maps, non of those junctions have lights.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I don’t think the walk between them is that big of a deal as it’s a very wide street with good walking facilities. An underground shopping arcade would be difficult to secure due to the area’s security issues so not recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

it would be difficult to build. People keep talking about tunnels without looking at geology. Cities with extensive tunnelled infrastructure tend to be built on stable bedrock that's easy to tunnel through. Dublin is not. Even deep basements or cut and cover is made more expensive by Dublin city's difficult ground type (the bedrock is limestone, but it's deep below layers of boulder clay, shale and mudstone).

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

A much simpler solution to improve the Metro connection to Luas Red would be a repositioning of red line stops. Move the current Lower Abbey Street stop slightly East to the other side of the Green line, then a new stop on Middle Abbey Street close to OCS. Considering the Luas frequently waits at OCS junction for several minutes, it won't materially impact the line. Better signalling and variable dwell time could allow trams to go straight between the two stations without any red lights.

This would improve connections with Metro - just 70m shorter but removes the need to cross OCS. You also get to stay on OCS west which is generally less exposed to the westerly weather.

This would also marginally improve the Green Line connection by removing the need to cross 2x signalled junctions (for the southbound connection) and 70m shorter for the northbound connection. It would also be 100m shorter to connect with Dart services at Tara.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Given the length of red line, there's probably a case to be made for reducing the number of stops, in particular removing any stops incapable of being extended (in the same fashion Green line platform lengths were extended) so that capacity can be increased and journey times improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,766 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That would be many of the city centre stops including Busaras so you'd lose rail connection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Specifically as a transport interchange, no. But a large underground commercial precinct would actually be a great addition to Dublin given our long, dismal winters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Which stops would you suggest be removed, or considered for removal?

Advertisement