Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclocross Practice in Public Parks

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭easygoing39

You'll be up at the front for the Nats in Limerick with all that sneaky training!! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Read the legislation, not allowed on trails unless the trail is designed for a mechanically propelled vehicle, Inc skateboards 🤣 supposed to stop lads riding homemade trails built amongst the woods but collite would have you think MTB is completely banned (and the gamekeepers too).

I cycle through the bits you mention in cherry wood when commuting to work, there is potential, I've not seen anything to ride on a cx bike mind. I'll send you a message about a potential place or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Eiregt

As much as I'd love to believe it, no amount of sneaky training will see me anywhere near the front at Nats 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Don't meant to be the Christmas Grinch, but is this private land?

Should have expected that question. Bah Humbug!

Yes, it's private land.

It's an unused, boom era business development site that has been left open to the public to use, mainly for walking or from what I can tell, letting dogs off the lead for a runabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Any landowner is crazy to leave their land open for public use, tbh. It's more their problem than yours.

You can just imagine someone suing the landowner after tripping and breaking their leg on that enormous rut left by the crazy cyclist that everyone sees going round in circles there.

Unfortunately I could imagine something like that, such is the world we live in.

I'm sure there's a sign tucked away somewhere, warning people that they're entering at their own risk and the owner isn't liable for any incidents that might occur on the property.

I'll be mindful of not carving the place up and creating a potential trip hazard for others.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Funnily enough, those signs are not worth the plastic they are printed on. A landowner must take reasonable steps to make their land safe and where necessary, restrict access. A sign alone, even more so one well hidden, won't protect them in a court case.

I don't agree, I trespassed alot in my youth but always and the view that any ills that befell me where my own fault but many would not follow that rule themselves.

I wasn't aware they're not of much use to the landowner. I was always of the understanding that the reason for the signs was to transfer any liability to the trespasser.

It begs the question, why bother with this signs? I guess as some demonstration of having taken reasonable measures to warn anyone entering the property.

I'd be of the same thinking that a person should accept responsibility for your own actions. If we didn't have the claim culture we have here, we might have the right to roam, similar to other countries.

That's probably a discussion for another day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭seanin4711

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They will put off some people, which is what they are aiming to do and it could allieviate some responsibility in a court case when a judge makes a call but as a rule of law, nope, they do nothing if you have made the land easily accessible.

Advertisement