Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2023-24 Paddy Power PDC World Darts Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

*Dons Gambling Hat*

Decent enough star to the worlds, couple of standout perfomers and a couple of flops. 

Looking at the quarter line-up as is:

Q1 - the only quarter to lose only 1 seed. 

M. Smith/Razma/R. Smith/Dobey v Cross/De Graaf/Clayton/Ratajaski

Michael Smith again displaying a lack of sorts with scoring power, but how good did he finish them crunch legs v Doets. 

Smith and Dobey have the pleasure of playing off to face (Michael) Smith, Dobey pushed all the way to get past Willie O'connor, where (Ross) Smith made it a bit harder then needed to be to see off Tricole.

Bottom of the quarters sees:

Cross/De Graaf v Clayton/Ratajski - De Graaaf is playing levels above himself on paper, while the other three were workmanlike to get past christmas.

I'd imagine Cross v Clayton for the QF place.

Q1 Verdict: Dobey beats Smith for QF place.

Q2 - 4 seeds buried

Price/Dolan/Krcmar/Anderson v Williams/RVB/Campbell/Littler

Left hand side - Dolan and Krcmar did not blow me away, and I for one cannot see either progress. 

Anderson for me, got away with murder against Whitlock. 

I'll concede 98 avg. is not to be sniffed at, but i doubt Price would let him away with it.

Price himself was impressive, albeit flying under the radar at the moment, potentially an angle he may exploit. I still have doubts how bad a crowd might get; the further in he goes . (Bearing in mind he won his worlds in an empty hall).

Sky's latest fanboy (post Sherrock/Rock) seems to be Luke Littler, smashed his first round game with the 106 avg. demolition of a former Lakeside champion. To hand it to Kist it was probably his best ever performance at the Palace. 

Littler then again started to railroad Gilding before; for me, falling over the line, which in turn brings in the stamina debate. Playing 15 legs (11 in early rounds) on the Development tour whre you are 10/20 pts better on the averages is no test for seasoned pro's where it take 9/12/15/18/21 to win a match. I can see him winning a Matchplay/GSOD before WC. How the fcuk he is 10/1 fourth favi s laughable (esp. when you can back Gurney at 125/1).

Jim Williams may be a slight dark horse here, former lakeside finalist, out averaging the champion in said final. Knocked out by a spirited Clemns last year.

Didnt see Barney or Campbells games during the week, will try watch them back over Christmas, but I wouldnt be too worried about either.

Krcmar, I think its beyond him at this time of his career.

Q2 Verdict: Price beats Williams for the QF place.

Q3 - Everything coming up MVG

MVG/Veenstra/Hempel/Bunting v S. Williams/Schindler/HEta/Van Peer

Van Den Bergh/Huybrechts/Noppert/Rock all knocked out of this Quarter so far, and not a hint of a price movement on MVG.

Veenstra was ruthless, Bunting played the best he has in a decade, Berry was like a man possessed. Heta got past his opponent just about.

Q3 Verdict: MVG beats Heta/Van Peer

Q4 - Quarter of Death??

Evans/Gurney/Chisnall/Clemens v Humphries/Pietreckzo/Cullen/Searle

Aspinall/Rydz turfed out already. 

Ricky Evans/Daryl Gurney putting in argubaly the best games of RD 1, Chizzy and Clemnens not brilliant but good enough and a nice start to the tournament.

Bottom 4 revolves around Humphries, Pietreckzo really impressed in Rd 2. Humphries workmanlike, Cullen/Searle also slipping under the radar, both with solid 91/93 avg.d

I personally think Humphries has it bad in terms of a run in, Pietreckzo then Cullen/Searle, then Gurney/Chizzy, Semi with MVG, and final with M. Smith/Price, I cannot believe he is joing favourite for this, and at that Price.

Q4 Verdict: Humphries beats Gurney

Odds-wise:

MVG for me still way too big for me at 10/3 out there; to basically beat Humphries and Smith/Price.

I'd have him 1/8 or less v Veenstra,

Slightly bigger next round 1/7 v Bunting (1/10 Hempel)

1/5 v Heta/Van Peer

then 4/6 v Humphries (min. 4/9 or shorter if anyone else),

and 4/7 in a final v (Michael) Smith/ (Gerwyn) Price.

Combines into 3.05/1 shot for me available at 10/3.

Littler is 10/1 and Gurney 125/1; I just cannot fathom this as a gambler and a Darts fan. Luke will to overcome most likely Price, then Smith, then MVG or Humphries; if he should make the QF.

Humprhies 7/2 way too short, if you just backed him to win every game from now on with the same euro you get better than that.

180's 

443 is the total at the christmas break, on previous years that should at least double (generally speaking that is between 47% and 53% of the total).

% Final Tot.

46% 963

47% 943

48% 923

49% 904

50% 886

51% 869

52% 852

53% 836 

180 per set is running at 1.8008, which on previous year should rise closer to 2.00000 by the end. Total expected sets at this point is about 433, giving 780 maximums. Using the 3 year average 180 per set, we're looking at 870.

I'm on 875+ and 900+, so still have hopes to collect on both.

Happy Christmas to you All!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Currently 15 180s ahead of last year's total at the same stage.

6/4 with PP seems a decent bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'm on Humphries to be top 180 scorer, he's twice as short as next man so must be doing okay but anyone know where those figures are listed?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,288 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Welcome back everyone

Looks like Williams might be escaping Schindlers list

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Williams wins two to level it at 2-2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Cracking game this.

Schindler having double trouble

Excellent game here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Really enjoying this, drama and quality

TbL

Schindler is a really good player. Williams showed alot of bottle there.

Shame that Russ Bray is bowing out after the worlds. An iconic voice in the sport.

• Advertisement

Chizzy always reminds me of someone who is about to burst out laughing. Same with Bunting

Scott Williams does my head in but superb comeback

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Had Barry Hearn interfered with the bullseye

He usually has

• 3-0 Littler to win the first set.

Hadn't realised he's only had one 100+ checkout this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Danny healy ray

littler grandmother came from kenmare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

The Littler hype train rolls on. I fancy him for a QF but don't think he goes beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭testtech05

Littler is a serious talent no doubt and it was a good win for him but I found some of Durant's comments so one eyed it was embarrassing.

Campbell will rue the slow start for the 1st 2 sets for sure.

Looks far too easy for MVG here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭shockframe

MVG has his compatriots in the pocket like Taylor did back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

Razma was painful to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mikewebber

Rest day for mvg😁

What's Gurney's chances later ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Some start in the Hempel Bunting match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Bunting on fire

Sensational from Bunting. Hempel playing outstanding as well but Bunting is putting on the performance of the tournament so far

I'll probably never hit a 180 in my life, it's mental how it's the norm for these lads

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Some match this. Hempel is playing great stuff but is being blown away by Bunting.

• Advertisement

Can't wait for MVG vs Bunting

Advertisement