Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Slip for the "penalty" and slip in that tackle. Saka did nothing wrong, they were accidental contacts. Endo was lucky himself to avoid a second yellow.

☀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

You know what? I think an Arsenal player slipped while taking a shot at one point, that's not fair we should award him the goal.

🤣 Your own player took out your manager and you're crying about it looking for Saka to be sent off. Honestly it's embarrassing.

☀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

What did Endo do that warranted a second yellow card?

Saka was lucky, and you know it. He had 3 fouls that could have resulted in a booking on another day, and was pretty snide in his general play throughout the game. Not saying all 3 should have been carded but some refs are card happy and he could have got them from another referee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Nothing better to be doing on Christmas eve...

He brought Odegaard down when Odegaard was past him stopping a counter, Havertz was booked for less.

I agree though another ref may have sent Saka off, doesn't mean he deserved to be. Same with the penalty claim, someone else in the Var room would've told the ref to have a look. Havertz had a claim for a penalty too.

☀️

Maybe he slipped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I agree with you but I also thought he was a little card happy yesterday as it was. Endo, Havertz and Nketiah, I don't think any of them really deserved the yellows they got

It was odd how much slipping there was yesterday, mostly from them. I wonder did we water the pitch more than normal. Also, the slight bobble before Trent hit the bar was odd, usually the pitch is like a carpet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

One other thing that doesn't get called out enough...

I'm not saying it's right, but superstars are prone to getting preferential treatment. Gerrard would get it. Virgil occasionally.

Rio Ferdinand wasn't booked for years. Scholes got away with shockers in his time. We saw Saka, the golden boy, yesterday get away with nonsense.

Mohamed Salah gets absolutely nothing, ever, and it feels like he never has. It's utterly and completely bizarre. It's in fact the opposite where he needs to be gunned down to get a decision or he only needs to track back strongly to get booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Disappointing week. Was a huge opportunity but they've blown it. Title is done imo. The front line isn't up to the big games. I thought/hoped Nunez had turned a corner earlier in the season but he's looking like a bad buy now. Diaz has been mostly very poor too.

Dependency on Salah is increasing when it should be going the other way. Does whoever it was still think he should have been dropped for Elliott for the Arsenal game?😀

No left back and thin at CB. Desperately need a quality CDM too. Hope Klopp has updated his Santa letter.

Merry f*cking Christmas 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,513 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Gotta be honest I didn't see much wrong with either Saka challenge tbh.

I'd be angry if my player didn't challenge for the Tsimikas one and definitely slipped for the other.

"The decisions went for my team therefore they were correct"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Some variation of the proposed MLS rule needs implementing.

Head injury... Go off for 10 minutes to be assessed. A rolling sub can be made at the next break in play if that's deemed necessary, but no delaying, it's up to the sub to get on the pitch, the game won't be delayed. When the independent medic passes the player ok re concussion tests, after the 10 minute, then he can come back on.

I'm willing to concede the Tsimikas one somewhat, but in the current climate, I thought a 'slip' was pretty meaningless?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Tbf Salah was booked for dissent not for the actual 'foul'. Ref was odd yesterday he let some things go ordinarily you'd see yellows for and was also overly nitpicky on certain things, Salah's foul that led to the yellow, Havertz booking, Endos first yellow, Nketiahs late booking too.

Not sure how VAR didn't give the penalty for the Odegaard thing either but as an Arsenal fan I'm delighted they didn't naturally!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,401 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Once Mac Allister is back I think we need to start with Endo, Szoboszlai and Mac Allister in MF with Jones, Elliot and Gravenbach rotating in.

I'm looking forward to seeing Mac Allister in his best position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Agree with all of this. Apart from I think you are a bit harsh on Nunez, he has been better than Gakpo and Diaz, has had far more goal involvements than both yet gets far more criticism than both. Yep I want him to be better but the criticism he gets is way over the top

Diaz needs a rest, give Darwin the starting spot on the left. Szobo has played too much football. A couple of bench appearances will do him good in the long run.

Given how we have played I’m happy enough where we are sitting in the table. Yep we have left points behind in some games, but also scrapped 3 points v Palace and Fulham that we barely deserved. The pressure of being top at Christmas is something that might be a blessing in disguise to avoid, especially as we have definite improvements in us (albeit there is a core of players we can’t afford to get injured).

We’re in the hunt at the half way stage, we’re third favorites admittedly, but on current form the others don’t scare me, so let’s see what the New Year brings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

If Saka had slipped and caught him with studs then that would warrant a yellow. That’s not what happened though. I don’t think that or the shoulder were worthy of yellows

Great game anyway, City the real winners though

• Advertisement

It was a fairly evenly contested game where both teams looked to attack rather than sit back.

The four CBs were the best performers on the pitch. Konate just shading that from the rest of them.

Yeah I was impressed with Konate tbh. Far better than I remembered. Broke down a lot of play before the ball could be worked into more dangerous positions

France have plenty 9f good CBs coming through now and if he can stay fit himself and Saliba could make a great partnership.

There were 6 CBs on the pitch (White and Gomez playing fullback) and they might have been the 6 best performers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Should have been booked for kicking the ball away after the shoulder injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

No-one ever gets booked for kicking the ball away though, right... 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

10 points ahead of Newcastle, 11 over United, ahead of City. Jaysus, I'd have taken that at the start of the season. Tough crowd!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

If you told me we'd be a point off top spot going into Xmas I'd have definitely taken it and would have been even more surprised to say that Tsimi being injured for months is major headache now given these rumours Robbo is still 4 weeks away from Full fitness .

We are really in the mix but still only 3 points ahead of 4th so to not sign even a loan LB would be pure negligence at this stage after confirming Tsimi broke his collar bone and could be out for vast majority of season.

I have a bad feeling well be forced to limp through god know how many games shoe horning Gomez/youngsters into the LB slot over games which will cost us. Gomez deserves alot of credit for his performances cross the backline over the last few months but he can't start every game LB and youngsters are far too much of gamble.

Burnley away has the Luton Away vibe so we need to avoid that and get back to winning ways. Any fancy us to sign a LB ?

• Advertisement

Absolutely.

Ridiculous to think anything other than that.

Pretty sure I read predictions of missing out on top 6 this season ,or even top 8!

Couldn't have asked for much more so far imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

would that Milner lad be worth taking a punt on, the lad at Brighton? Might be worth bringing him in as a short term/stop gap LB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Told you when? Opinions and expectations change over time. Liverpool are doing well vs expectations from the summer before a ball was kicked. That's fair.

I still think it's reasonable for fans to be disappointed now because the opportunity to be in a far better position has been missed in the last week. We all know that dropping 4 points is massive in a title race vs City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,404 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Konate was absolutely brilliant yesterday. Martinelli took him on about half a dozen times in the wide channels and I think Konate either came away with the ball or dispossessed him every single time. He has a huge ceiling but the niggling injuries are always the worry with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

One beneficial thing that playing in the Europa League is that players like Chambers and Scanlon have played a couple of games each at LB. They have tasted the first team experience both on the pitch and being around the first team on match days.

Gomez is gonna be used at LB now but he can't play 90 mins every game. He will need to be rested a bit too. That real natural width will be lacking though.

Chambers has 2 starts & 2 subs appearances over 140 mins.

Scanlon has less with 2 subs appearances totalling 51 mins.

One left field idea could be to use Curtis Jones at LB. He has already played a couple games at RB, but he seems to favour the left hand side of the pitch and has played LW at times too. He could even play the inverter role from there if needs be, with Trent playing his more traditional RB role. No real natural width with Jones at LB though.

An even more left field idea would be trying Diaz there. He played there against Everton for a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

If I was to put Diaz anywhere at present it'd be "left back on the subs bench". The lad needs time off to sort himself out as he's clearly going through a lot and his game is suffering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Where we don’t get an early breakthrough against a defensive team, that’s when we’ll miss having a left footer at left back for that extra attacking option. Sad for Tsimikas, as the run of games had him finally looking the part

Trent actually has a strong left foot, but I’d imagine we’ll stick with Gomez at LB for the most part

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Start of season I mean but Don't get me wrong , I agree with you. Too many draws coming back to haunt us yet again.

While the results have been great before the united game the performances have not been. We got 7 points out of Fulham , Palace and United playing some absolutely abysmal stuff so to say we should in be a far better position is over the top I feel but sleeping on Arsenal game is definitely feels like points dropped.

That Gravenberch miss vs Brighton and Trent miss yesterday still haunt me and concerned with injuries mounting how we keep in the mix . We definitely need 3 points vs Burnley !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Disappointed yes but the way some are losing the plot is over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Considering where we were before the season started, around the time of the Caicedo/Lavia transfer saga, we are in a great position, well above expectations. This season has unexpectedly presented an opportunity for a title challenge as City seem a bit off their normal level, but, I think it's a bit early for this team, as so many of the midfielders are still settling in and the forwards apart from Salah aren't scoring enough. The injuries are also starting to mount up especially in defence, plus with Salah and Endo both going in January, we'll be stretched.

Hopefully Mac Allister and Jota will be back soon, Jota seems to be able to score even when not playing well and I think Mac Allister is our best midfielder, we have missed him in the last few matches. Happy enough with the draw yesterday, probably could and should have won it, but, Arsenal are a very good side and will go very close this season, City still the favourites as are more likely to go on a long winning run. I think the 2 points dropped against a poor United side last week will prove costly at the end of the season.

• Advertisement

City dropped points last week too, so they was no gain for them last week. So the points dropped in a title race v city might be will be 2 points at the most.

Liverpool are clearly exceeding expectations. Perspective is needed. Not much between us and Arsenal.

City are faltering at the moment. If that continues ourselves and Arsenal are in a great spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah and the 3rd best centrehalf on the field got MOTM😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Konate was outstanding yesterday also rice is a class act

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Oh will you just give over. I don't even need to check back on your posts to know for certain you were moaning about how shite Solanke was when he was with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Probably the same guys giving out that we didn't beat Utd and Arsenal and should be top of the league.

You just cant win with some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I've always wondered why interviewers doesn't ask players about this. Maybe they're not allowed to? You could seriously embarrass a player by showing him a clip after a game. I'd love it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Impossible to tell what would have happened if Salah had been dropped. Who knows, we may have won!!

I never said Salah should have been dropped. I said that I wouldn't have minded if Elliot got in there ahead of him as he had been great in the previous game. Salah of course scored a fab goal, but overall he wasn't great and was actually very poor at times in that second half. Sometimes his decision making is terrible. Still love the guy though.

I don't think the title is done. The usual top teams not playing well this season. But if we don't do some January business, I think we'll end up out of the race. I'd still favour City as they always seem to up their game in the second half of the season.

Agree with your front line comment. They're not up to scratch this season.

CDM - I think Endo has made great progress. He needs some competition. I don't like the way Klopp makes MacAllister play there. Play players in their best positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭brevity

Merry Christmas 🎄

Ah lads who's chopping onions.

Fair play to the club for making that little man's day. Klopp is an absolute gem and when he does leave they'll be massive boots to fill. It's great to see how happy he was to see Diaz, Nunez and Mo and the way he smiled when Diaz kept ruffling his hair. Also really nice when Endo walked over to say hi when he was clearly just walking past.

• Advertisement
Advertisement