Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

38 year old Sexton barely running at the end of a game where the ball was in play for 42 minutes due to pressure and not age/fatigue in a tournament where the average ball in play time was 34.18 is an interesting take.

Safe to say we are not going to agree on this topic. I was disappointed like everyone here that we couldn’t bring the trophy home but our feelings pale in comparison to the coaches and players who spent years building up to the tournament. I have no doubt they will assess what didn’t go their way and try to rectify it going on as they have over the last 4 years when things haven’t gone our way.

Also take any media soundbites from sports players with a pinch of salt. There is nothing to gain for them by going into any deep detail, only controversy and further questions.

The future is bright for Irish rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

post Match interviews were the pro says the score line doesn’t reflect how tough the dragons made it after thumping them by 40 should now be believed?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It wasn't a poor performance in the way you're trying to portray it as. Both teams made errors. Aki's try was atrocious defending on NZ's part, as Jordan's try was for us. If Kelleher grounds the ball, we probably win the game. It was one of the hardest fought games in the history of the tournament. NZ were also absolutely shattered at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Musicrules

All I see there are excuses and wishy washy nonsense. Sexton bottled it, that's hard to accept given his career and this was how it ended but that's what happened. He wasn't the only one. If everyone's honest, they'll admit that the occasion got to the players. Plenty of experts have said it. But like I noted, some are more comfortable with ignoring the reality and brushing it under the carpet. We'll be in the same position in 2027 if the management and players don't address the issue and find solutions.

We made basic errors, easy kicks but most of all we played with fear. That's not what we were doing for the past 2 years. I'm not sure if it was this thread but someone had a look at our stats and it showed we played a different game than what we had been doing.

Also, you're ignoring the fact that this was the worst New Zealand team to enter a World Cup. They were there for the taking. It was a weak tournament overall, this was our chance. As Rob Kearney said, if we played close to our best we would have beaten them but we were nowhere near that. And that was down to the occasion.

• Advertisement

Or just choose to disbelieve players if it doesn't suit your viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think those past issues won't be a factor simply because, the players coming into the environment have won u20 grand slams and reached a u20 world cup final. Overall, we're in a good place. Consider where we were when Farrell came in!

This past world cup showed me that depth wise were still a little short. It was always going to be hard to lean on a 37 year old out half. This cycle, we have players coming up that win and win consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭munsterfan2

Cant believe we are still talking about the WC, yes Sexton was too old, but what was the alternative - it was a year (or 2) too early for Crowley, both the Byrnes have been tried, Frawley kept getting injured, cant hold the 10 jersey in Leinster, Carberry never recovered his form from injury in 2019. Billy Burns not good enough. The alternatives were tried, we just ran out of time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Absolute bollox, we didn't play with fear. The single biggest factor imo, besides Kelleher's error, was JGP having a poor game. The opening sequence saw us in their 5m line twice before the Aki try, and both times JGP took a poor action that led to a turnover. He took poor choices in the second half too, trying to go wide too soon etc.

Here's the post that shows it's not bollox. We played with fear. The occasion made us play differently. It could have been because he knew every game could be his last but Sexton bottled it. No one can argue that this was a good New Zealand team, they were very average. We were good enough to beat them comfortably but we underperformed badly under pressure.

• Advertisement

so what is it? Are they always telling the truth so? Are you just choosing that which suits your viewpoint? Professional sportspeople do media training and rarely say much of actual interest. It’s all a nonsense. We don’t really ever get to hear or see what’s really said or done behind closed doors because in actual fact it’s none of our business. They throw a few crumbs to keep the journos happy. Anyone not in those camps who thinks they know what way the players feel based on a couple of tweets is just kidding themselves.

We are talking about Johnny Sexton's comments, they weren't directly after the defeat to New Zealand, they were a few weeks later. He said:

"Our main motivation and objective was to inspire the nation. I think we achieved that. We lost, but we won."

Are you saying that he was lying in his statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Get over it lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm feeling Alfred Nobel levels of remorse right now.

The stats you complied back up the suggestion that we played tight and with no freedom. Apart from that, we're mostly going on what we saw with our own eyes. To me, it looked obvious that we played with fear. Others thought differently but with nothing to back that up. Your stats provide some context.

so to be clear you believe that the plan all along was to inspire a nation?

Jesus Christ this is ridiculous

So you have no evidence at all? You're just making things up?

Apologies to every one for wasting your time on this

• Advertisement

You shouldn't be just making things up but apology accepted. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

No need to apologise, your points were completely logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Some threads should be strangled at birth....like this one. Reading this pile of ordure is more excruciating than watching Ulster play.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

We at least now know a new word:

ordure

/ˈɔːdj(ʊ)ə/

noun

excrement; dung.

something regarded as vile or abhorrent.

"can you give credence to this ordure?"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Which is fair enough in isolation. But the constant level of criticism isn’t commensurate with the performance and results of this team over the last 2 years. 

I’ve been making this point to you for ages so can remember the following off the top of my head:

• 2022 6 Nations, you criticised our attack in the 22. We had just scored the 2nd highest number of tries ever in the 6N. 
    • 2022 NZ tour, you suggested we were mentally weak after the first Test. We went on to win the series. 
    • The 2022 AI’s, you suggested our attack was found out. Fact. We had a 22 year old outhalf making his international debut. And this Irish team have played some of the best attacking rugby I've ever seen from Ireland.
    • 2023 6 Nations, anything but a Grand Slam would be a failure. We won the GS, and you criticised us labouring to a victory vs England. 
    • RWC warm-ups, you criticised our form, but when we found some form in the group stages, you told us they didn’t matter. 

Look, should they have won team of the year after losing the QF? Probably not. But the level of criticism you mete out isn’t tempered by the same level of praise when the team do well. 

They put a 17 game winning streak together; only 2 teams ever have ever beaten that. 

(You do attract a lot of heat here, but I will say one thing is that you never attack the poster, rather than the post, which is to your credit). 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OldRio

Why dwell? It serves no purpose. The past will not change. It's a complete waste of energy and time.

The Six Nations is around the corner and it's going to be fascinating.

Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Well I for one hope we make the same mistake next year in the six Nations...

Post edited by sydthebeat on

Winning the six nations would be brilliant. Irrelevant to my point about going into the next World Cup having learned nothing about dealing with pressure in the quarter finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OldRio

But what has that to do with me? I'm an onlooker.

Advertisement