Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lob it in

The Boro crowd may walk over to the match absolutely no parking around Larchfield.Whats wrong with the Park or even bring it out to the Kells road,very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

That's a crazy decision. Many more club pitches more suitable for a crowd other than larchfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

The Park was undergoing repair work from the last week of November so presumably its still not open. Far be it from me to defend the CB but venues are largely dictated by clubs willingness to open their pitches at this time of the year. Agree that Larchfield seems woefully unsuited to any game of hurling let alone an A county final. Bridge just held an U19 league final so probably not in great nick. Other than that where would you go with Boro-Thomastown? Village must not be making Kells Road available since it's set for Larchfield. Gowran? Clara? Loughlins?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

On what was a fantastic weekend of hurling congratulations to our 4 teams last weekend. I thought the Boro were fantastic and got their tactics spot on and weren't afraid to alter things during the game.lucinda gahans introduction was also a big help.The standard was very high with some of the scores fantastic.Its some achievement for everyone involved, I was delighted for them.

O Loughlins again get over the line by a single point. They've had a lot of small margin wins. Infairness cushendall started brilliantly and I was suprised loughlins won the toss and played against the wind. I would of thought get on top early and try put it to bed.Cushendalls gameplan was working early on and loughlins were pinned back but they got to grips with things after about 20 mins and will be dissapointed they didn't get 3 or 4 goals in this game.Luke hogan was very good and bergin got some great scores and I thought heary worked very hard and has being very consistent all year. It will be intresting to see how he will go with kilkenny hopefully in attack. Fogartys last point was brillant and he was unlucky with another one that the keeper pulled down. He has being consistent and although he is light now he would give kilkenny a bit of pace when he fills out. O Loughlins will know they were very lucky to hang on,cushendall drove 4 or 5 wides. Neil MacManus was very good and is a fabulous hurler but he will be dissapointed with the last one. He is held in high esteem by opponents they all went over to him and he spoke fierce well after the game you would have to feel sorry for them.

I think we all expected tullogher and thomastown to get through their games comfortably and they did that. Both teams will meet cork opponents who are never bad in this competition. Hopefully the 3 kk teams left can get the job finished next month.

Tommy Walsh hangs up hurl to coach Tullaroan while Brian Cody enlists Eoin Larkin to aid James Stephens

Michael Verney

December 19 2023 06:10 PM

It looks like Kilkenny legend Tommy Walsh has played his last game at senior level with Tullaroan as the nine-time All-Star turns his attention to coaching his native club.

The nine-time All-Ireland SHC winner had said in 2018 that he wished to stay playing at the highest club level until he turned 40 and he achieved that earlier this year with his focus now set to turn to the sideline.

Walsh will be coach under Ken Coogan as Tullaroan, joint-top of the Kilkenny SHC roll of honour on 20 titles with Ballyhale Shamrocks, bid to end a 30-year wait for a county title in 2024.

They will have the added bonus of Walsh's brothers Pádraig, recently retired from county action, and Shane giving their full attention to the club next season with the latter opting out of Derek Lyng's squad.

Both were crucial to the Tullaroan cause in recent seasons, most famously when they claimed the 2019-2020 Kilkenny, Leinster and All-Ireland intermediate hurling titles, and they will hope that Walsh's coaching influence can help bring home more silverware.

That's not the only major change at club level in Kilkenny with Pat Hoban departing as boss of Ballyhale Shamrocks having led them to All-Ireland glory in January.

There will be continuity, however, as coach Jimmy Meagher and strength and conditioning expert Niall Lacey look set to remain with the former expected to take the reins as manager.

ADVERTISEMENT

Former Kilkenny boss Brian Cody remains at the helm with his native James Stephens and the 11-time All-Ireland SHC-winning manager will have a familiar face alongside him next year.

Eoin Larkin, one of Cody's most trusted lieutenants when in charge of the Cats, has come on board as coach/selector as the Village try to prise Kilkenny honours from city rivals O'Loughlin Gaels and end their 13-year wait for a county title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The work that's going on in Nowlan Park. Does it involve Floodlights? Where are Kilkenny on that issue.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

A well deserved win for the Boro over Thomastown in the under 21 final today. Despite been short 3 definite starters and C Hackett only fit enough to play the second half, they were much too strong for their opponents. A fine display overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think Dicksboro could dominate hurling and camogie for the remainder of this decade. Shamrocks look to be in decline, OLG will be challengers, not sure if any of the rural clubs have the strength in depth

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Ye the future looks bright for the Boro alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Doesn't it always?

Haha to be fair I'm from the boro, I'm delighted they won, but they have been dominant at underage for a long time and it hasn't quite converted to senior for whatever reason, would love to see them go on a run of senior success

I know you're a Boro supporter and I agree with your post. In the past they have managed to follow up under 21 success with a senior title. It may well happen again. This current under 21 team have won every match from under 13/14 up to now.

Yeah in fairness they look like a special group of players (living abroad so I haven't gotten to see them play, just going on results here). Kilkenny hurling you'll never get anything easy though. Doesn't matter right now though, best Christmas ever for those boys. And the camogie team as well.

Someone in Kentucky knew what I would appreciate. Merry Christmas to all in this thread, and looking forward to an all Ireland in 2024!

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

Look at the last 20 years in Kilkenny.

The history books will tell you if you want to get your hands on a senior hurling club championship medal in Kilkenny you need to be hurling with Ballyhale, OLG or James Stephen’s with the odd title to Dicksboro/Clara.

Hard to see that landscape changing anytime soon.

I do think the likes of Bennettsbridge and Thomastown have good teams too though.

KK v Carlow in the Walsh cup this gives Lyng the chance to experiment big time

• Advertisement

I often wonder what you learn about players at this time of the year. Bill Sheahan for example is a summer hurler, someone playing in the backs will get away with a lack of pace.

True enough but at the very least you'll find out who's willing to really hoor it out when it's tough with on the slow ground, in matches that you know are not the be all and end all, who are the lads that dig in and make the best of the circumstances. You won't learn anything new about your top players but you'll learn plenty about the mentality of new lads coming in. It's all work rate and psychology at this time of year, nothing much to learn about speed or skill. "Who can do it on a cold January in Carlow?" is an interesting question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Infairness to lyng he tried lads during the league but when limerick blew us out of the water in the league final he went back to the team Cody got so close with the previous year. I think when we look back at the year gone by we're happy to win another leinster final and reach another all Ireland but id be still disappointed that we downed tools in the 2nd half. I appreciate limerick got some unbelievable points and are a incredible team.

Lyng tried to get another squeeze from Cody's team but he will know himself what we've being trying the last few years isn't good enough and he will have to put his own stamp on the team now. I think there's a corner back up for grabs. Blanchfield and Carey would be two good wing backs or midfielders. Deegan has improved his striking and we would get more from him further up the field. Hopefully Liam blanchfield can continue his good club form and give us something different.

We're as good as the chasing pack despite what some here might think but obviously we're judged on all Irelands and rightly so. Hopefully with work now going on behind the scenes it will help our underage teams and feed our senior team.

We have lads on the senior panel that have being on the panel a number of years and need to step up the way others have.

Fair enough but a lot of players thrive when the ground gets hard and I wouldn't be disposing of players because of a game in January. Lester Ryan and Pat Lyng were All Stars in January, not so much in August

From a Boro point of view I would be hoping to see Niall Rowe and Padraig Moylan just to see how they would get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭hogans heroes

Boro have been.producing at underage in hurling and camogie for quite awhile now.hurlers havent turned the success into success at senior yet.camogie have done a wonderfull job turning underage success into senior and can see them dominating going forward.

Happy new year to all posters. Let’s hope it’s a good one for all KK teams starting with the three club teams.

Has anyone an inkling of a team for next Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

I'd say God only knows and even he's struggling. We might have a better idea towards the weekend. It will be very experimental, you can be certain of that.

Last year I was surprised at how many of the older lads played a good bit of the Walsh Cup. But when you think about it you can see the reasoning. It's unfair to ask a bunch of new lads to go out without a bit of experience guiding them through it.

We wont have anyone involved in the club championship. At a guess that's 5 OLG, 3 Thomastown and 2 Tullogher/Rosbercon. Will the lads who played u21 up to last week be asked to play. I wouldn't mind seeing Clifford at left half back. You'd have to think also that there are lads who will be given an extended break and we won't see some of them until the League or maybe later.

Advertisement