Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We're almost there!!

Had a christening yesterday followed by a lovely lunch before I dozed on the couch and headed off to meet college friends for our annual pints. 27 years in a row! Head is not the best this morning. 🫣

M&S curries for dinner tonight. I'm doing as little as possible today. I'm on breakfast duty tomorrow morning for 10 of us.

Weather is appalling out there. I don't particularly fancy going for a walk

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I am doing ham tonight, along with brussels sprouts, carrots and a couple of stuffings. Turkey and roast veg tomorrow.

It's a 5kg turkey- the instructions on the pack say 3 1/2 hours, but my turkey calculator app says 4 hours. It's a quandary!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

So your going to cook it for 3hrs 45 mins to cover both? 😊

We bought a temperature probe for cooking the turkey a few years ago and find it very useful, also make you have the setting bang on in your oven. An even slightly higher or lower temp in the oven over 3 or 4 hours will make a difference to when it's ready.

Best of luck.

Exactly! Cover everything. 😁 I think this is the only time of year the meat thermometer comes out of retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We normally like to get a family walk in today, but that wind and rain is making it less and less likely to happen..

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Yes, it's so stormy today. 😑

• Registered Users Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'm determined to source some puff pastry to make sausage rolls for lunch. That's what is driving me to get out the door.

Temperature seems to have dropped a bit in the last hour and the wind is a bit more northerly. It's due to get very cold later

• Registered Users Posts: 30,495 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We normal use our food probe.

It's sort of hard to know what to do.

I always think the companies are extra careful at this time of year with the cooking times.

Mainly because of Sarah who hasn't cooked a dinner really all year and Sophie who's on her 6th glass of wine by 11am.

I feel attacked by this post. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 30,495 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Sorry, just leave it go to 11:15 before 6th glass of wine or are you Sarah?

Isn't there another Sarah on here to.? Oops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

A fair few yes. Due to living with two women and having two kids with each of them thats already 7 of us. Factor in siblings - some of their kids - and three sets of grandparents and it gets fairly rocking. Thankfully I am used to cooking for large numbers of people due to throwing a monthly house party!

Last week killed the two geese the kids and I have been keeping/feed/caring this year so that will make up the major core of the main meal tonight and tommorow. Augmented with a large Ham. Roasties and Yorkshire pudding galore of course. And a variety of vegetables from the garden.

Other than that I have a serious fetish for dips. So I have an absolute array prepared with lots of things to put in them. So that'll keep people off the cooks back for most of the day :)

So food has been taken care of. Only thing now is to focus on the children!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Have a great day everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Happy Christmas eve everyone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Lightening up out there now. So dogs will be walked very shortly. Hopefully stays calm a little later for a family walk to look at the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

My ham is cooked and glazed and the spiced beef is cooked also. We cook a goose instead of a turkey so will do that tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

I don't know what I did with my second batch of pastry but it looks like I underdid the flour. The lemon meringue pie base didn't work out so with a hunch that it was the pastry I just used the rest of it for an apple pie experiment. It's like a cross between pastry, cookie and cake. It'll still be eaten though.

Gingerbread cookies decorated this morning and mince pies baked (with the good pastry).

Stuffings are in the freezer since last week, they'll come out tonight. Ham will be done tonight too and veg prepped.

9am Mass with my mam tomorrow and then a bit of visiting before everyone (14) comes over for dinner. My sister and her family will also join us for starters before heading off to her inlaws for the rest of dinner. We'll do our big present exchange then.

Right now I'm taking a break. Will do some more cleaning and tak the dog out for a good walk later while OH hoovers without said dog freaking out.

Pressies also still need to be wrapped/printed.

@SarahLil delighted your mam is on the mend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Was finished the Butchers and fresh bread run since 8 am, a few trips to my mam back and forth luckily only around the corner, all the prep done by himself while I clean. I am just having 5 minutes to myself with a coffee and mince pie with cream

Wrapping done, desserts just done, managed a walk too, so just the veg prep now before we settle in for the evening!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Just remembered I also need to make the cheesecake filling but that shouldn't take too long.

We have M&S party food in for dinner and Home Alone is on around 6. Even the teens will sit down for Home Alone so we can have that nice moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It’ll be a Chinese for dinner for myself and the OH tonight as well be too busy doing the ham and veg. Although I have most of the veg done and trayed for tomorrow.

Ditto. Indian for us, veg is prepped now so just the ham to cook later... must remember to not leave it too late so it has time to stand before putting it in the fridge...that caught us out last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Ham is on and spuds are peeled. Have bases done for banoffee's and cheesecakes. Going to prep the sprouts and that's me done for the day.

We'll be getting our traditional Christmas Eve takeaway in about an hour, McDonalds drive through 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

That's where me and wife are at this very moment, McDonald's drive though but everyone has the same Idea , very busy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Just in from Dundrum to get final bits of groceries (not presents)..No busier than a normal Sunday, easy to park etc and got a fresh turkey crown half price at M&S, will cook that over the coming days after the main bird is scoffed.

Doing breakfast and lunch for 10 tomorrow......hoping to get out for a swim inbetween that sometime.

Am knackered so it's Apache pizza for dinner :)

Happy Christmas all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Dazler97

In the pub now having a few drinks , stick the turkey and ham on tomorrow morning around 7 ,happy Christmas to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A few presents exchanged . It can be odd todya getting into a 'late pub' down here in Waterford. Better off going out earlier and hoping for the best

Have a fridge full of nitrosurge cans so I'll enjoy them later for Father Ted

I do like a Glen Hansard but he can bug ya the way he's front and centre of everything esp the Busk. His bank account doesn't reflect his look I'll tell ya that, same with yer man from Hothouse Flowers

Indian ordered, work all done, beer opened and now sat in front of the tree chilling until the food arrives...

Hope everyone has a lovely night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Sad to say but had a massive row with my brother this evening. What a way to start Christmas. Think it's ruined tbh

• Advertisement

Ah no. Just remember lots of families fight at this time of year. Stress brings it out. I wouldn’t say it’s ruined yet. Tomorrow is a new day, it’s amazing what a night sleep will do for everyone.

Advertisement