Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

By trading the carbon you have created an asset proven to be yours (as someone has paid you fot it)

I think the is the most the most important thing landowners can do.

As scope 3 emissions hit big ag, they will want to own any savings/offsets down the line.

Have you arranged that trade yourself or is it through a broker/platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭stanflt

Ah yeah winter milk sure it doesn’t pay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭straight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭jaymla627

What % is contracted liquid, scrapped 43 cent here at 4.6/3.6, pin been pulled on autumn calving cows here next year, reducing numbers, and halving the area of maize sown

• Advertisement

What about the volume they are consuming and the volume of time going into feeding and milking? 56c is a pittance imo

You might think so but how many spring systems could support 3 families with only 160 cows - 150k drawings and 100k rent - not to mention all the machinery that we can afford which spring men can’t

you seem not to believe in the system - is that because your system isn’t effecient?

150k drawings isn't going far for 3 families. I'm not saying anything about the system.

Spring men can't afford machinery???

My system isn't efficient???? Well, I wouldn't spend a penny renting land but I've bought 55 acres last year.

100k gone into armchair farmers bank accounts sounds nice for them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

That is an unfair comment ,it is easy buy land if you are lucky and the right plot that suits comes for sale.

i am guessing when the right farm comes for sale that stan will be easily be able to buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

I worked for a guy same as yourselves milking about 180, excellent farmer best farmer by a long shot I ever worked for. Full pedigree herd, bulls in the stations and winning shows up and down the country. He had 3 sons none of which are getting involved in the farm after seeing their father be a bit like King Charles and having three parties in his marriage except their fathers 3rd party was the cows and working all the hours god sent. If you want to be at the top of your game in that field you have to be married to the farm completely or else be lucky enough to have plenty help which many don’t so they opt for spring calving and get on just as well without their cream on top which is the replacement sales the pedigree guys get but their trade off is a far better lifestyle.

• Advertisement

We’re defo not married to the cows- it only takes 2 hours every day to feed and bed everything

How much was the 55acres- tbh it’s a very poor return on investment - say 55 acres at 16000 plus stamp duty etc Is around 900k

with 900k I’d buy 9 houses locally and finance the rest with the land we own(zero debt)

around me the 9 houses would return over 20000 a month or nearly a quarter of a million per annum

just my opinion thou- land rented is far better for cash flow as it’s tax deductible

Ye might be outliers then but by and large the workload on AYR calving farms and spring calving farms is night and day. That’s just from what I’ve seen or else you’ve plenty hands on deck. Either way not cutting your system or anything as I said the guy I mentioned above was pretty much exact same as that article described your herd and he was a top top operator just it’s not the norm in Ireland so people will always poke holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 yewdairy

Why are you so insecure in your own farming system that you need to run down other farming systems.

On a hectare farmed basis your farm isn't any more profitable than a well run spring calving herd.

Like us all you are doing what you think is best for your farm but it is no more sustainable or profitable than well managed spring calving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Top performance from a spring calving herd 👏

How am I insecure- I’m actually the complete opposite and have shown that with all the data I support everything I claim

160 high yielding cows needs at 220 derogation now need 77.3 hectares

using a 5000l plus spring calving herd as an example we would need 265 cows to produce the same output at 92 kg n that means these will require 110 hectares

110 - 77 is a difference of 33 hectares or 82 acres - 82 acres at 16000 an acre is 1.3 million- you would then need facilities for 104 extra cows which teagasc estimate to be 4500 euro per cow- which would need 468000€ investment

thats 1.7 million extra expenditure for the same return as my winter milking herd

profit monitors show that the best operators in either system make the same profit per litre

where are you getting the idea that they need the same level of land and infrastructure for both sysrems

• Registered Users Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Can ye give it a rest for Christmas day, worse than kids, willy waving, my cow's better than yours.....

There’s no Willy waving just showing some people reality

need any help this evening illl be in tinure and might need a break from the screaming kids😀

• Registered Users Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

In fairness to your father he put an awful lot of work into your herd, it just didnt arrive there. There are other lads who post here without blowing, who have started out on their own back and can rightfully take the praise themselves. Alot of the time its teamwork. And there's no I in team. Happy Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

id agree with most things you say on here Stan.. but id have agree with Straight on the rented land... if u can buy it.. buy it.. you will be better off.. i see too many lads renting land sometimes for years and in the process really transforming the land from maybe in a rundown state into a position where it has been reseeded fenced and soil fertility brought up a few notches etc only for landowner to come along and give you your P45.... there are exceptions of course.. if land is bounding you.. you nearly have to rent it... which is fair enuf...

• Advertisement

Compare 100 middle band spring calvers delivering 550+ kgms to 100 of your type cows and I think you’d find for time input, difference in buffering etc the return at the end of the day would be negligible.

The scenario you painted is very skewed high yielders vs what some people could achieve nearly milking once a day with a spring calving herd.

No I didn’t for the last exercise I used middle banding cows

If you’re achieving towards the high 550s from predominantly grass with little buffering compared to you achieving around 700 with far more buffering, more land needed to carry the cows and for maize or wholecrop etc, then at the end of the day I can’t see there being much difference in margin between the two systems if both are carrying same number of cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Is their 1% of herds achieving 550kgs of a ton of meal and no buffering bar the shoulders of the year? For that matter are 10% of herds hitting 500kgs plus, the issue going forward will be having to farm more land then you actually need, so utilising this to grow forages like maize/wholecrop etc to cut down on concentrate needed and drive up milk solids will be crucial...

Where your farming in the country plays a huge role in what's actually achieveable, a herd doing the 550kgs plus of under the ton of meal and minimal buffering works year in and out bar a few blips like drought etc in the Golden vale, transplant that herd into a wet farm 600ft above sea level in cavan and hitting 480kgs ms would be good going

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Some thing I remember from my old ag college days what an old lecturer use to say regularly, “every man is outstanding in his own field” but there is always room for learning and adapting. Not everything is one road, worked at cows for a number of years in Autumn and spring calving herd of high yielding cows and Autumn calving was the easiest time compared to spring time with calf scour, field work, calving cows etc. the key to winter milk is facilities and machinery and milking parlour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

The father in a set up like this might not be drawing much from the farm, probably has the pension maybe his wife also and possibly a private pension too. So maybe two families drawing form 160 good cows which will have it's benefits over one man milking 80 year round. Buying land can be impossible in some parts of the country with land going for 40k an acre in places

Actually less land required if your growing maize as it consistently delivers over 20 ton dm per hectare- 33% more than the top 10% of grass growers

ill do a figure for 700kg ms vs 550 spring later on after I digest the grub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Dairying in Ireland has had monumental change since 2016 and is still going through change. The skill set that farmers have developed is huge, just look to the influence of IT across dairy farms, grass measuring, financial planning that would be in the league of small manufacturing businesses. This has been driven and we all can agree by the farmer, who doesn't sit in a comfy chair in the upstairs office, but one who is a labourer, a vet, a mechanic, electrician, agronomist, builder, financial planner etc the list could go on.

We all strive to drive efficiency on our farms, and my goals are very different to a good friend who is full time farming. My are based around time, eg profit per hour while upping my beef stock numbers

Back to the dairying side, the past 2 years have been a rollercoaster ride on a number of fronts but the ride ain't over the loop the loop section is coming soon. Being open to ideas and seeing what can work well on your farm will be key.

I'd be thinking more long term with land purchase Vs rent. Have buy to let's also and they can be a pain. Houses at 100k will be the first to be empty when the recession comes. Land costing about 10 - 12k per acre around here. Houses costing 250k for anything decent and they are rent capped mostly. Way more security and flexibility in land and less risk. You couldn't rent an acre in my locality and even if you wanted to you couldn't be expanding depending on land availability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 yewdairy

Your comparison on systems is very flawed, because your equating output in litres with net profit/free cash.

For a spring calving herd to generate the same net profit/hectare, it doesn't need to send the same amount of litres as you. Therefore the 1.7 million figure with the greatest of respect is nonsense

Advertisement