Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Looked at the silage their getting. Vet ruled out cause of death from mouldy silage, lead poisoning or electrocution. When I looked at the Smaxtec app they died in a short period of time. It showed reduced ruminating, increase in activity and then temperature decrease (when they died). Have the 2 cows out of sight and heading to the knackery Wednesday. Had a case of Schmallenberg earlier in the week also. Sent the calf to the lab in Kilkenny.

I put down a tough night of it here myself, hot and cold sweats and aches in my joints. Took a few more panodols now, I'm hoping I'll turn a corner by this evening 🤞 my mam is mainly worried about the Christmas Dinner, I said I'll sit outside sure tis fairly mild.

I hope Santy was good to ye ? I'm hoping to get either a new pair of Snickers pants or a good head torch. We do kris kindle here and put a limit of €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ask the knackery to have a look for anything when they get them. Hope you're feeling better soon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

So true, some people are very good, I was down at the local flling station yesterday evening, they were flat out delivering free Christmas dinners in the area , They prepared and delivered 221 family dinners yesterday, the freezer company they deal with lent them enough freezers to do the job.

Have a nice day everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

She did, it was negative. Temperature down a bit today but feeling sick and lightheaded.

one of these things that takes a few days to burn out I’d say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Lazy start here and only heading to the yard now. Young lads have the presents opened and the 8 and 11 year old are playing football in the sitting room waiting for the 15 year old to set up the new PlayStation.

I’ll head to the yard this evening again. It’s a 3-min walk from the house and gives me a break from the food, drink, and family 😂

I’m going to get organised next year and go into a local retirement home to play a few songs for the residents. I did it a few years but fell out of the habit. Nothing like a few Johnny McEvoy ballads to help the dinner settle!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

All stock fed and got the breakfast and heading out to do a couple of repair jobs in the yard for two hours, down to see the mother and then down to see the sisters house to see the four lads all home for Christmas and doing this since they were babies and now all in their thirties, and then dinner and have to feed again this evening and then a nice bottle of red wine for the night.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Keep an eye on Fingal county council development plans in the future. They should be available online.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Many early Santa folk this morning??

slow start here, some presents open, stock checked a a nice fry consumed. sick lass even managed a bit of food so hopefully that’s her on the mend.

So unseasonably mild. House is 20c, no heating on and last stuff went into the stove about 4pm yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

OH is delighted with his dewalt drill and impact driver. Thanks to @Wildsurfer for recommending that I get the impact driver and @mayota for providing the link at great value. OH headed to the yard with it earlier to give it a try.

Edit to add - we have a brilliant community here on F&F. People are generous with their advice and help. Long may it continue.

Post edited by Base price on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Santy has caused pandemonium in my gaff. I rent a small terrace house while we build our new place. 4 of us in it now with the new baby which has taken over the sitting room floor, which means the 5 year old is down a few fields. And Santy has only gone and delivered a John Deere 9RX (1:16 scale). That along with a few implements he has from before has taken the place over. It's nearly 600mm long! He also got a butterfly mower and plough for the Britains tractors he has. Tells me now he's like @farmerphil135 and offers the full service 😀

He's fair happy now all the same and there won't be an inch of the floor or table that isn't going to be farmed over the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Our first ever pure bred Dorset lamb born this morning here. A bit of a pull but ewe & lamb doing well. The missus is some woman for one woman, she was out lambing the ewe at 8am and has now banished me to the sitting room as she's in full Christmas cooking mode.

Merry Xmas to you & yours from Iorrais Dara Farm. Looking forward to another year of following others farming journeys on here and sharing our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

Had a late enough start with kids. Only woke up at 7.30 which was fine. The. Mass at 10. Getting the dinner ready now and waiting for a few family members to come who are joining us for dinner. Happy Xmas all.

Getting Brussels sprouts ready, have to be the most annoying vegetable. Turkey in. Got a boned , rolled and stuffed one this year. Going out to milk in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Had a great start to the day with a dip in the barrow and was making headway on prepping the dinner. Auld fella started whinging passing remarks etc then the sister threw a tantrum as she couldnt find an oven glove and of course it was my fault regardless of where she left it. Packed up my share of the roast and headed on home currently roasting away here and im content enough its only myself i have to please today now. Theres an awful lot to be said for a day of peace and quiete this time of year.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

At last, someone being honest about Christmas Day 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

No point in sugarcoating it 😂 im not stuck for places to go to either. Could call up to the grandparents but id have to deal with a little brat of a cousin and her tyrant of a mother then i was invited to cousins on the other side but id just have to listen to my uncle telling me ill never get back to Australia ill sit down comply drive up and down to Dublin everyday till retirement for work and go home to farm in the evenings and have no time for anything else in life and i should be damn glad to be at it.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

merry Christmas everyone.

Was out Saturday night to meet old friends. Great night but left out at 2:30 so was wrecked.

had to have a nap after lads went to bed. The up at 10 til 2:30 putting together and wrapping.

9 year old was into us at 4:30 saying there was nothing in her Christmas stocking. I Told her it wasn’t morning yet.

there’s so many Christmas stockings here, Santa filled it’s into each.

Christmas breakfast for my family in the county. There was 16 of us.

dinner will be later. Just the 5 of us or maybe a friend might call.

Post edited by kollegeknight on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

All over here. Not much buzz when no kids about.

Glad of the time off, but other than that it's an odd time.

• Advertisement

When I was younger I used to get wound-up Christmas eve/day trying to produce the perfect meal in between phoning friends because I felt I had to do so. As my teeth grew longer I've learned not to stress as much - the dinner will be on the table at some stage, we won't starve and family & friends will be there for you if they want to be and if not there is nothing I can do about it.

A neighbour called in unexpectedly just after 2pm when he was going for a walk and I had to stall cooking the dinner. OH is just after dropping him home as he slightly inebriated from a few hot whiskeys. I'm going to head now to the out farm to feed the yard cats and when I come back I'll continue with the cooking.

To add to the above - the dinner is now ready. OH headed into the sitting room (after dropping the neighbour home) by the fire with a glass of Scotch whiskey/whisky that youngest brought as a gift for him on his way back home from Scotland. OH is now fast asleep in the armchair by the fire so I'll leave him until he wakes up on his own accord.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I'm wrecked after all that - just cleared the table, still have to face the wash up. Did Nevan Maguires citrus breast of turkey recipe - will definitely do that recipe again, I put on skin side down on the rack. Breast of turkey 2.2 kg €27.

Ran out of double oven space with so many bits and bobs to squash in, so took a chance on the air fryer to bake flaky pastry cases, came out fine, 20 mins at 200 - should have done the pigs in blankets in it too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Did he waken yet BP?

I'm lying on the couch after a quiet but successful day. My brother and myself went to the annual Xmas day swim at Lough Arrow, it and a few drinks in the local Xmas eve is about the only thing we do together in the year. He took the dip while I offered moral support and had a few hot half one's.

Back home for the dinner then and I'm currently panned out on the couch looking forward to a few sandwiches courtesy of the better half. I'll probably chance some chocolate and another half one later on. Happy Christmas everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RockOrBog

I'm not the biggest fan of Christmas or this time of year.

Give me the swift sunrise and the long day and the cattle lying down in the sun with a full belly of grass.

The day has turned it will come again soon.

I like how Christmas helps us get thru the darkest time of the year but I really like when Christmas has passed as it means brighter evenings are on the way and new life will begin soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I'm going to give frozen sprouts a try out sometime, cook from frozen in boiling water. I was temped but sprouts were large & fresh this year.

He woke just after seven and we've eaten our fill of the dinner. I'm relaxing now with a glass of Baileys and he is having another glass of Scotch.

I like the winter months when things slow down a bit - shorter days = less working hours on the farm. November is my favourite month of the year.

• Advertisement

I got a bottle of baileys last Christmas, we had baileys coffee's and daughter made herself baileys hot chocolate last night. Baileys wouldn't be our go to drink. Watching eastenders.

Advertisement