Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Theres plenty of Irish who got council houses and are on benefits in the UK TODAY nevermind in the past.

Agreed. The far right types online are getting desperate. The upcoming elections are going to be very funny.

Of course :)

Another variant of the "I was driving through xxxx town today and saw some migrants, Ireland is finished!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

People have been evading border guards and dodging immigration officials of every nation for millennia. I don't think that's going to change anytime soon. Irish people have done it. How many stories have been told of uncle Jimmy who went to the States on a student visa and just never left? Only now, he can't leave the States because he won't get back in and the US authorities can't be arsed deporting him because he stays below the radar. These people aren't mentioned today because we like to forget that once upon a time in Ireland we were seriously skint and we left as economic migrants to anywhere at all - legally and illegally.

As regards people doing that in Europe? It's not new. It's a policing issue. It doesn't surprise me that it happens, shouldn't surprise anyone really. Am I advocating behaviour like losing my passport and id in a foreign country so I can stay? No, but I'm in the lucky position where I don't have to consider it. I don't have to trek across Africa, get in a bathtub or anything else that'll float to get to the EU etc etc because remaining at home isn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You are dead wrong thinking the Americans couldn't be arsed deporting a Paddy who decided to overstay.

Unlike little Helen and Leo who reward lawbreakers the yanks have ICE who catch illegals and actually deport them.

Prime Time did a piece on Irish illegals a few years ago, one lad theough he was smart going on the programme whinging about his situation even though it was all of his own making but unfortunatley for him ICE also watched his interview and he was deported a few days later.

As regards your other point yeah the Irish immigrated but were they destroying their passports on the plane before landing?

• Advertisement

I imagine many people who have an irregular situation in the States actively avoid immigration officials. Perhaps things aren't as lax as they may have been in the 70's, 80's and 90's. The point I was making was that there have always been people who circumvent the official migration process. It's a fact of life. The eejit who appeared on telly deserved to be deported frankly. I don't think Irish people destroyed their passports but then again whilst they may not have liked the idea of coming back here, I doubt they feared returning to Ireland. Perhaps those people who are destroying theirs are afraid of being sent back to their home country. I don't know, that's a policing problem. I know if my life and the lives of my family were in danger and I'd manged to get them to the EU, if destroying passports etc., made being sent back more difficult. I can certainly see why people do it.

Post edited by StudentDad on

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭MagicJohn

Does anyone know the figures for spending on Ukrainians minus the money received from the EU for Ukrainians?

And where does the balance come from? is it via more Debt or is it Corporate tax or general tax receipts?

There doesn't seem to be any kind of meaningful economic analysis of this huge spend - a spending analysis "Omerta" if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas on Thursday said immigration officers can no longer detain and deport people from the U.S. solely because they are undocumented. 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Says they still will just not those who entered before november 2020. Seems it just prioritising due to the large numbers.

Also doesn't seem to apply for a number of countries who they've stricter enforcement.

I'll put money on that changing if the next President is a Republician.

• Advertisement

Literally doesn't say that anywhere.

new guidelines that direct Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers to focus on the arrest and deportation of immigrants who pose a threat to both national and border security, as well as public safety.

Well its hard to work out if they really are fleeing a dangerous situation if they won't say what country they are coming from.

A genuiune person would have no difficulty disclosing that information to officals.

Wonder what happened to Lucas from Brazil who RTE invited to Upfront with Katie Hannon, he was claiming to be a refugee until the photos appeared of him backpacking around Europe before coming here.

And yet some posters here argue we aren't a soft mark country.

Still the complete opposite of your earlier post.

No its not, deportations were happening for overstayers in the time period I mentioned and are still happening for those who arrived after Nov 2020 and ICE still exists.

I'm not a policeman and I sure as hell can't read minds. Whatever these peoples motivations are, they are strong enough to drive them into trying to get into the EU. Unfortunately, with every flock you get wolves. Sometimes the wolves go undercover.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The next paragraph

This includes people suspected of terrorism or espionage, those who have committed serious crimes and migrants who illegally crossed the U.S.-Mexico border after Nov. 1, 2020.

Except the guidelines themselves don't limit it to the Mexican border, that's just the writer editorializing.

Threat to Border Security

A noncitizen who poses a threat to border security is a priority for apprehension and removal.

A noncitizen is a threat to border security if:

(a) they are apprehended at the border or port of entry while attempting to unlawfully enter

the United States; or

(b) they are apprehended in the United States after unlawfully entering after November 1,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

People travelling through Europe to get to Ireland are not starving to death.

And the 11 million current illegal immigrants will not be deported on the basis of being undocumented.

point is, Ireland is not some kind of unique country.

www.migrationpolicy.org/article/recalcitrant-uncooperative-countries-refuse-deportation

Although the United States regularly deports more than 200,000 people each year, nearly 1.2 million noncitizens who had been ordered removed had not left the country as of January 2021, according to a federal court filing; in 2020, only about 18 percent of people who had received such orders were deported. 

In the European Union, just 19 percent of non-EU citizens with orders to leave were returned to countries outside Europe during the 2015-19 period,

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭creeper1

How hopelessly naive!

In your scenario Ireland is not the first EU country you'd be landing in.

There's no direct flights from Lahore or Lagos.

The tearing up passports thing is probably now something of an SOP. It's probably on Facebook forums or whatever social media they read.

If I was a interior minister of some far off country struggling with prison places I'd let prison governors know to put out the message a country in the far north west of Europe was in incentivizing illegal travel and offering a clean slate.

That would be a boon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Those fake passports are valuable, in some cases they probably travel with fixers who collect them after boarding the planes, then the fixer who is legal just flies back to the departure point . That's what I'm guessing .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

The Irish emigrated so we have to take an unlimited amount of 3rd world immigrants who can't or won't integrate even though our housing, health & education sectors are at breaking point.

This mindset blows my **** mind.

Again, as I said in an earlier post, this isn't the invasion of the Mongol Hordes. I sure as hell don't want the EU to go down the track advocated by the right wing loony headers in the UK. What people over there fail to realise is that by removing human rights protections they are are also stripping themselves of human right protections. That is ultimately what this boils down to. Human Rights. So what if these people are from Nigeria or Pakistan? It's a hell of a hike from either country to get to the EU. It's not like Jimmy gets up one morning and goes, 'you know what? I think I'll move to another continent. It's an awfully quiet Tuesday!' Nobody gets up on one random Tuesday and decides to a: move to another continent and b: do it as a refugee!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Back up a bit there, exactly what countries did we (Ireland) take and then give back grudgingly?

Whether we like it or not this little country benefitted from our time as part of the British Empire. We can be pedantic or face the fact that lovely bits of infrastructure built in Ireland over the course of the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries probably came from monies acquired from empire.

There is also the uncomfortable fact that us as Europeans did have an empire. Europe benefited from that. You could in fact argue that it never went away, we just replaced gunboats and troops with economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭creeper1

I don't know. Infrastructure in Ireland is not really noteworthy as being fantastic Certainly when Ireland gained independence I don't think many countries would be super impressed.

Yes in recent years there's been improvement in roads however hospitals and education not really coping with increasing demands.

Your words are "Mongol hordes" . Actually the word hoardes could well be appropriate since it conveys the message there are a lot of them. If you're enter any decent sized town it's very obvious.

There are foreigners in Ireland? So what? Legally, people from all over the EU can come to Ireland if they like. The EU borders stretch to all sorts of parts of the world. Territories in far flung parts of the world who voted to remain part of the EU. The bonus is that if we get it into our heads to go there, we can!

If the 'foreigners' of which you speak are refugees, their claims will be processed and they will either be allowed remain or be sent home. If they break the law, the police and courts will deal with them. It's life, it's complicated!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This is 2023 not 1823. You have heard about the ease of modern travel I guess?

We are a small island on the west coast of Europe and the only ready means of getting here till recent decades was by boat. I grew up getting the boat to & from Holyhead along with thousands of others. News Flash - that's all gone by the board and we are now very accessible. Thanks to Ryan Air etc

The good news is that we can manage airport arrivals - if we want to. And all it needs is for Leo et al to grow some balls or else move on and let someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Right but how are you going to strictly police the 6 counties border?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Again I ask, so what? If people want to come here and build a life, so what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

No problem, just apply for a work visa like they would have to do for the US,Canada, Australia etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement