Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom issue - Should developer fix it

• 26-12-2023 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17

Hi folks, I'm experiencing issue in the main bathroom. We noticed that water was dripping from the fan installed on the ceiling. I've removed the fan and it looks like it was incorrectly installed in the first place or there wasn't enough suction so the water was condensing on the pipe and dripping down.

Part of the ceiling around the fan is all wet and should probably be replaced at this stage.

The house is 6 years old and still covered under homebond. Would that even qualify? I was thinking of contacting developer to fix it but not sure if it's enough of an issue.

Any thoughts and advices are welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

the problem is the fall in the pipe. it needs to to be falling out of the building not in. no amount of suction would pull evrything out with no condesation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,195 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Definitely not covered under Homebond. You could ask the original developer but unlikely that he would fix it now. But you won't know for sure unless you ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭Biker1

Is there insulation on the duct all the way out? If not then you have condensation forming inside and outside the duct and flowing back down.

Min 25mm foil faced insulation with thermal conductivity of 0.04w/mk required under the regulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 Sir_luksik

From what I can see there is no insulation on the duct. The pipe is just going through the attic and outside but it's a simple plastic duct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Doing a good job insulating that ducting will solve your problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 Sir_luksik

Can you point me to the regulation which states this? I'll try challenging the developer first.

One of the neighbours is a handyman and he also noticed that the extractor fan was installed incorrectly. It wasn't fitted into the duct leading to the wet air being pushed to the gap between attic floor and bathroom ceiling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭Biker1

For all it's going to cost you would be better off doing the job yourself. Developer will ignore you as the building would have been signed off by the engineer as compliant with Building Regulations at the time of completion. Unfortunately, without a proper Building Control regime in this country we are reliant on self certification where an "opinion of compliance" is the norm, and the next construction scandal is just around the corner.

Advertisement