Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Can't believe ye spent the wHole of Christmas day talking about cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Registered Users Posts: 19,595 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Not criticising you at all, just pointing out that if you took the logic re houses in isolation to its conclusion, you'd sell the cows, the machinery, and the land - and buy houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭straight

It doesn't take long to write a quick comment while on a break from scraping cowshit off a few mats. BUT it seems in life now, you will always have those that like to rush to the already crowded high moral ground.

Finished up here for the day now and we're all going climbing a mountain locally. Half a dozen pints will be nice later and home for the rugby. Will probably sleep through alot of it though after the few drinks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭jaymla627

What would be going into the cows re forage, would a figure of half the year so 180 days of a fully indoor diet be right so circa 1600 ton freshweight to feed the milkers with the rest grazed grass, so say 100k forage costs/brewers excluding rent, and 100k meal plus circa 10k for fertilizer on grazing block, plus 10k for miscellaneous minerals/machinery costs re fertilising/topping grazing block etc,

So 200k to feed your cows, so a range of 17-23 cent per litre of milk produced depending on fertilizer costs/meal etc, if you take the 250k for drawings/rent, your up on our over 40 cent a litre cost of production obviously you've savage income re beef/dairy sales plus sfp which would add well over 15 cent a litre to your income, in fairness ye are making money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭stanflt

But as every on seems to think there’s savage labour in winter milk and no money and then there talking about scraping down cubicles which is pure hardship especially when there’s a machine for every job

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fulldnod

I couldn't think of a worse thing to be listening to them 2 apes for a day

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fulldnod

She no ejit, she's buying tractors for very little and making savage profit, the only problem for the winner there will be something very wrong with the tractor, I've heard lots of these cases, one person had to spend 25k on a tractor

Scraping down cubicles is pure hardship.🤔

But depending on renting ground for survival, buying spun out culls for 200 euro and running a second yard to keep them, all the buffering and feeding is simple.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I'd prefer to scrap the cubicles manually myself while checking the cows but sure I was always fond of hardship.

There's people on here that think farming is all about profit and money and being the "best". That was never how I looked at farming or life myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

When ye milk once a day do ye double the meal in de morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭stanflt

Find something you love and you’ll never work another day in your life- the renting isn’t for survival it’s for enjoyment and as for buying spun out cows- these weren’t spun out cows they were empty spring calving cows that a spring farmer had to get rid of because he was stuck under derogation and stuck for money

buying them and making money on them might be a bit of extra work but to be able to gloat about it to you is actually priceless

happy Christmas from the profitable winter milk farmer- btw you never disclose Any prices or rebuttal any of my comments or prices with factual ones of your own- anyway I’m off to enjoy a few drinks now- enjoy your st stevens day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Some of the reasons for the man buying land rather than houses are similar.

Gas reading back how black and white some seem to think dairying is ….no money in winter milk ….don’t want to do anything around Christmas ….poster bought cheap cull cows …different yard different herd number put figures on it still wrong even tho big profit to be made ….mad renting rather than buying land …reasons given again he’s mad ….very good job lads like Stan go do there own thing and gives figures to back it up even tho it goes against a lot of what we’re told to do …..I think there’s a lot of snowflakes in dairying now who want it all but don’t want to do the physical work …..lads go this 10 in 7 lark in July /august ….oad august September ….500 kgms now we’re told isn’t a target to sim for ….don’t be fretting if it’s only 400/450 kgms …..mad stiff ted

There's a notion too if you're not spring calving you're calving all year around. 2 distinct calving blocks. As in everything it's as easy or as hard as you make it. Milking is half an hour atm here, feeding, milking, scrapers all done and back in bed for a hour before 8am this last few mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭farisfat

I don't think theirs to many on their death bed wishing they worked harder.

Nothing wrong with oad 10in7 lark to reduce work load to spend more time with family and friends.

Work life balance ….I get lots of time away from farm with family etc milking twice a day by having a structured day with milking first and last job and gone from yard by 5.30/6 majority of year …..seriously question why lads go 10/7 July august …..are the cows there breeding just not milking ….I know one lad doing it …in September he was averaging under 12 litres at it ….best thing ever ….imo he’d be better off oad rather than milking at 5.30 am or 11 am etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Just read through it from about 4-5 pages back between last night and this morning. I could not agree with you more Mj, too many lads think its 9-5.

Actually I pointed out to lads 6-10 weeks ago on the beef threads the value in cull cows. I just have never done them before and have not the land area. I think over the next few years it would be a real option for lads exiting suckled. Most will have decent cow skills and the main issue will be drying them off.

@stanflt them cows will have you a right twist. I presume the one you bought in will probably average 13-1400 euro( 300 kgs DW@ 4.5/kg) . Probably 400 max to finish. Add in other costs 6-700 net margin. Lucky enough you have the flexibility on nitrates for them. Along with the margin on you own Probably a 30-35k touch.Figures on beef are improving all the time.

Would not agree with you about buying V renting. 380 is only the hard cost soft costs is the elephant in the room renting. Remember the asset raises in value as well. Lads renting significant parts of there operations have a risk factor. Piece of ground locally 30 acres but split in 3 blocks over 500 yards is struggling to rent. There is half it not grazed probably for the last 5+ years. You would want it for 100/acres for five-year to sort.

Take a lad renting ground for the last 10 years and a lad that bought it for 7-10k ten years ago. Rent has probably gone fro. 250 to 400+ while land value has gone to 12-15k.

On the drawings any well run operation will probably be taking g another 10-15k per family member in non taxable income out of the operation.

Slava Ukrainii

You still have to put in the effort whether in a PAYE job or in business to earn a decent living. The BS about the death bed is still BS

In an operation like @stanflt where there is 2-3 operating the system there is plenty of downtime. Not sure if 10/7 is much of a labour saver compared to turnover loss. Dairying is a 7 day week business. Ya maybe skipping a milking on Sunday is a viable proposition but dropping yield has costs.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Just on the renting land v buying thing.rising interested rates have changed the game a little again.in annual cost terms to a farm business renting is probaly less than half the cost of purchasing at the moment. We rent alot and have purchased too but in terms of financial risk to a business renting is probaly safer.if things went south just ring the land Lord and that is that but if there s high borrowings and things go south then you may end up losing more than you started with.we have over doubled land owned since started rent about 60 % of the land farmed but no way could we have purchased to get things to where they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭ted_182

So I did 10 in 7 here this year, I have a young family and live off farm. It won't work if you can't feed cows properly with grass. I finished up with 468 ms delivered. I changed on the 10th of July. At that point I predicted I would finish around 475 kg had I stayed on tad all thru. I'm a lazy bastard tho by my own admission. Once I caught up with a few bits in July I was clocking 35 hrs a week from August on. One change I did make from traditional 10 in 7 was I did oad every second day regardless so either Sat or Sun was tad every second weekend. I felt 2 days oad in a row was too much. Milking times were 6.30 am and 3.30 pm and then 8.30 am on oad days. Not for everyone but I really enjoyed the last few months farming and with my family. I feel so much fresher for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Thats what life is about ,what ever you are happest with.Your milking times were not out of the ordinary but I would find it diffucult driving in cows at 3.30 when there is alot on which is most days ,Can I ask whats the plan for the coming year

All that depends on your current situation and set up. I am sure that there are many lads (especially on the dairy thread) who wouldn't be able to scale down too easily because they'd already have high fixed costs they'd be looking to spread across more output..............I'd say the cost of renting land in plenty of areas gives an indication of that as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

What is sad is the lads that hate what they do so much that they need a break from it. As far as I can see the lads on here Christmas day enjoy what they do and are passionate about it. "If you are doing something you enjoy you will never work a day in your life".

I spent my day today hauling slurry 15 miles over the road to an out farm. I was on the 7040 and the boy was on the 7050. An enjoyable day all told. Makes a change from being in the shop all day.

Still have all my culls here. You are sticking me a into a box of poor spring calving dairy farmer stuck with nitrates. I kinda understand what you are on about but that is not me.

55 owned hectares, 78 cows and followers. Expanding next year and after from my own replacements. Every cent from the farm is my own. Just back from pub. Dinner and the Munster match. Happy new year. Am flying out for 2 weeks on new years eve

There is risk associated with renting as well. If you lose a substantial part of your rental ground especially if its near you it will be hard to replace. You also have the risk factor of rents taking off like they did last spring and you getting caught in a wrong part of the business cycle. Iy not just the matter of ringing the LL, I think its will be the next big fallout in dairying where contracts are enforced.

Having said that aone purchase prices at present are unrealistic no matter the farming system. However everything is cyclical.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭mf240

The choice between renting and buy often comes down to what is available.

If suitable land isnt for sale you cant buy it.

Id be all for buying if possible though. Very rarely anyone regrets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭mf240

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭roosterman71

You'll have someone starting a thread somewhere now about 2 tractors tearing up and down the road with slurry tanks during the closed season. And on a bank holiday/holy day too.

Advertisement